News Forum - Omicron spreads to 38 countries, 10 US states; Remdesivir recalled

Thaiger

Omicron, the worrisome new variant of Covid-19 first identified in South Africa, has now been found in at least 38 countries and 10 US states, though it still has not been detected in Thailand. The figure increased sharply after being found in only 23 countries in the middle of last week. The spread seems to be accelerating as scientists study the strain to determine if it is more or less contagious than the dominant Delta variant worldwide as the World Health Organisation says some of the mutations of the spike protein indicate higher transmissibility and increased resistance to immune protection. […]

The story Omicron spreads to 38 countries, 10 US states; Remdesivir recalled as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Omicron, the worrisome new variant of Covid-19 first identified in South Africa, has now been found in at least 38 countries and 10 US states, though it still has not been detected in Thailand. The figure increased sharply after being found in only 23 countries in the middle of last week."

That is a truly scary rate of transmission. And, it certainly is in Thailand, it just hasn't been found yet.

"Some initial reporting suggests Omicron infections are relatively mild, which would be good news, but other data suggests that the variant is more able to reinfect those who already survived Covid-19 previously. A lack of data for such a new strain is still hindering researchers to offer any conclusive scientific details on the strain."

These are the 64 Billion dollar questions;

Will the infections continue to prove to be mild? 

Will our vaccines offer protections and to what kind/what extent? If they keep us out of the hospital, all is good. If they don't...

If we can be re-infected, what are the implications of that?

I have great faith in our globe's scientific community, but I also have great respect for Mother Nature.

"Lets Get Ready To Rumble!"

Edited by Shade_Wilder
Tpyo
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

That is a truly scary rate of transmission. And, it certainly is in Thailand, it just hasn't been found yet.

You have to look for something to have a hope of finding it. 

• Like 5

It would be a good time to ramp up testing, now that the genomic sequence is know and it can be identified. Trying to magically keep it out? Impossible. But we don't know enough about it to get too spooked, so let's not get too spooked by it.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

It would be a good time to ramp up testing, now that the genomic sequence is know and it can be identified. Trying to magically keep it out? Impossible. But we don't know enough about it to get too spooked, so let's not get too spooked by it.

The fact that this has spread so quickly will ironically give us more of that information we need to make informed decisions. I agree with the not getting spooked part. Save that for the government’s reactions 😅

• Like 2

I’m afraid it would very nieve to think it’s not already there and if it isn’t, it most certainly will be in the very near future.
Hopefully, whilst being much more transmissible it 
will turn out to be a more mild strain and Covid 19’s first step (mutation) to becoming endemic.

As so many of us have said, it’s never going away. My opinion after listening to a scientist on the BBC last week, is that it will mutate and mutate and mutate until it becomes endemic. Apparently, there was a pandemic in the 1800’s and it’s endemic form can still be found today in the common cold. 

So the question is, other than vaccination, are we just delaying this from becoming endemic by our actions. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BBY said:

I’m afraid it would very nieve to think it’s not already there and if it isn’t, it most certainly will be in the very near future.
Hopefully, whilst being much more transmissible it 
will turn out to be a more mild strain and Covid 19’s first step (mutation) to becoming endemic.

As so many of us have said, it’s never going away. My opinion after listening to a scientist on the BBC last week, is that it will mutate and mutate and mutate until it becomes endemic. Apparently, there was a pandemic in the 1800’s and it’s endemic form can still be found today in the common cold. 

So the question is, other than vaccination, are we just delaying this from becoming endemic by our actions. 

Since it's already a worldwide pandemic, I'd be interested to know how or why you think it can become endemic.

Endemic to where? To who?

8 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Endemic to where? To who?

Perhaps I have misunderstood the scientist explaining this, but he stated quite clearly that there was a pandemic in the 1800’s that became endemic and is now present in the common cold.

I believe the common cold is world wide, is it not. I guess in the definition given below we are all encumbered in the word people, as the human race.

Just my humble opinion 

endemic

ĕn-dĕm′ĭk

adjective

1. Prevalent in or limited to a particular locality, region, or people

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

though it still has not been detected in Thailand

Thailand will wait until it is "found" everywhere else before admitting it has been found here as they did with Delta.

It's the kind of face saving that Thailand thinks is important

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BBY said:

Perhaps I have misunderstood the scientist explaining this, but he stated quite clearly that there was a pandemic in the 1800’s that became endemic and is now present in the common cold.

I believe the common cold is world wide, is it not. I guess in the definition given below we are all encumbered in the word people, as the human race.

Just my humble opinion 

endemic

ĕn-dĕm′ĭk

adjective

1. Prevalent in or limited to a particular locality, region, or people

Agreed, that's what 'endemic' means.

What I'm asking is how, since the pandemic is already worldwide, encompassing all localities, regions and peoples, it can become "Prevalent in or limited to a particular locality, region, or people"?

That would necessitate it not being in other localities, regions or peoples.

Why would that happen? How could it happen?

Why some regions and not others, and some particular groups of people but not others?

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Agreed, that's what 'endemic' means.

What I'm asking is how, since the pandemic is already worldwide, encompassing all localities, regions and peoples, it can become "Prevalent in or limited to a particular locality, region, or people"?

That would necessitate it not being in other localities, regions or peoples.

Why would that happen? How could it happen?

Why some regions and not others, and some particular groups of people but not others?

I think you may be attaching ethnicity and location to the the word “peoples” in the definition of endemic. Maybe this will help. 

How will Covid-19 go from 'pandemic' to 'endemic'?

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/10/26/covid-endemic

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

"Prevalent in or limited to a particular locality, region, or people"?

Locality: Earth. People: Everybody. Think big...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BBY said:

I think you may be attaching ethnicity and location to the the word “peoples” in the definition of endemic. Maybe this will help. 

How will Covid-19 go from 'pandemic' to 'endemic'?

https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/10/26/covid-endemic

No, I'm attaching "particular" to the word "peoples" since that's what the definition does.

Edit: and Segal Samuel, whose article your link is based on, isn't a "scientist" but a children's novelist and religious affairs reporter.

1 hour ago, JamesE said:

Locality: Earth. People: Everybody. Think big...

Aaah ...  "everybody" ... think uninformed ...

No IJ

You obviously and clearly cannot properly comprehend the definition of the word people, in the context it is being used.

would you like to discredit this guy from the Royal Society Too. Take some time to read about how a pandemic becomes endemic. You might actually learn something.

you can change your name IJ but not your methodology in trying to fire people up. It gives you away every time. You are so easily recogniseed. I will waste no more of my time responding to someone who has been proven so many times before, to know everything about nothing and nothing about everything.

DD474461-F940-425B-9BDD-0CA038EDDA2A.jpeg