News Forum - Maya Bay on hold, but preparations for an eventual reopening continue | VIDEOS

Thaiger

This week The Thaiger revealed that Maya Bay, on Koh Phi Phi Leh, may remain closed beyond its proposed January 1 reopening, following a groundswell of local support to keep the famous Bay closed. For a while anyway. This is partly spurred on by environmental concerns for the iconic bay which has been closed to visitors since July 2018, and partly because all the infrastructure to cope with a new round of tourists simply isn’t ready yet. A Line group used by the Marine National Park, along with tour operators and other local stakeholders, shows a growing concern that the […]

The story Maya Bay on hold, but preparations for an eventual reopening continue | VIDEOS as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The Thai Govt and TAT saying things for tourists, and then later some other Thai Govt 'section' decides to change the rules unilaterally.  5 star marine has been running ads about Maya Bay opening - I wonder if any tourists have booked thinking now is a great time to visit there. I have been saying for a while not to travel to Thailand now for a short holiday - returniung Expats, Thais and Business people it is Ok - but not for a short annual 2-3 week holiday - especially with kids.  Things are very problematic and risky in Thailand (just ask those 100 Sth Africans on Phuket), and they keep changing the rules suddenly.  Not a good message for tourists - yet again.  Thailand has tried to open too fast and they are just too disorganised and so much Govt decision making is fragmented - local Provinces can over rule 'Bangkok Central' at any time for any reason. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Planing and thinking ahead is not a strong point for the thai mix that with corruption and it will be same as before in a year they will f up again they cant help it its how they are  

5 Star Marine have been incredible in supporting the Thai community in Phuket since the economy collapsed.  I've been diving from one of their boats and they are an outstanding company, for sure.

But, I do think that the endless adverts on Thaiger News selling the message there has never been a better time to visit Thailand, is jarring given what's unfolding right now. Tourists can easily find themselves in a nightmare quarantine situation.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:30 PM, Prosaap said:

Planing and thinking ahead is not a strong point for the thai mix that with corruption and it will be same as before in a year they will f up again they cant help it its how they are  

Hopefully you are wrong - bad I fear you are right. In 3-4 years we will know.