Jump to content

News Forum - Police face criticism over plans to buy millions of baht worth of tear gas and riot gear


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

Apparently, the Royal Thai Police looking to spend tens of millions of baht on riot gear and tears, a move that’s sparked criticism as many have opposed the police’s tactics to crack down on pro-democracy protesters. During many of youth-led protests this year, where activists call for government and monarchy reform, riot police have deployed high pressure water cannons, tear gas, and rubber bullets to break up crowds. Khaosod English reports that the police announced their purchases on their website. The purchases include 195,000 baht for chemical foams used in police cannon trucks from ABC Protection Supply, 23,166,000 baht for […]

The story Police face criticism over plans to buy millions of baht worth of tear gas and riot gear as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem is that if you don't have water cannon, rubber bullets, or tear gas, in all their various forms, then what's the alternative?

What is there to give an escalating response, rather than going from nothing to live rounds?

...  and 'good' riot control equipment that's the best balance between being safe and being effective doesn't come cheap - cheaper costs lives.

What's seriously worrying, though, is the LRAD - Long Range Accoustic Devices. No way are these to be used as PA systems - to say they're controversial is an understatement.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all good. 

Need to keep all the peasants rebellions in their place. 😉

The only thing that matters is keeping the ruling military-Ammat oligarchy in it's rightful and traditional place. 🤫

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

 

What's seriously worrying, though, is the LRAD - Long Range Accoustic Devices. No way are these to be used as PA systems - to say they're controversial is an understatement.

And so the Police with LRAD are the first to escalate the situation to dangerous levels.  Hope they don't complain when the protestors up the ante also. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Delete. Cannot say. . 

Freedom of the people and what they want is best. It is not them. What will be will be. Thank you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, whitesnake said:

The roiiialllllllll THAI POLICE...... Turd brown uniform... synchronicity me thinks!!!

Couldn't have put it better if I'd tried 😏!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whenever you hear contracts of this size, it is ALL about someone putting corruption money in their own pocket.

How soon the Thai people forget the useless Airships and Fake Bomb Scanners!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, TukTuk said:

Whenever you hear contracts of this size, it is ALL about someone putting corruption money in their own pocket.

How soon the Thai people forget the useless Airships and Fake Bomb Scanners!

If you think that's "ALL" it's about, you're missing quite a bit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, palooka said:

And so the Police with LRAD are the first to escalate the situation to dangerous levels.  Hope they don't complain when the protestors up the ante also. 

The problem is that in a heavily populated urban area like Bangkok it's not just the protesters that'll be affected.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

no more peaceful protest. the real game begins

And hopefully by the latter part of next year we will have Thaksin back again so that sensible economic policies will once again be implemented, but it will take several years I fear for Thailand to recover from the dire straits that the military and its puppet master has allowed Thailand to fall into. Mind you by then of course the kick backs paid out for the purchase of rubber bullets etc will be in offshore accounts already no doubt.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This regime and its backer(s) are starting to worry sadly whatever change will come ( and it will, even they can see that) will be at a cost to protesters now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, poohy said:

This regime and its backer(s) are starting to worry sadly whatever change will come ( and it will, even they can see that) will be at a cost to protesters now

Well the puppet master has already seen the writing on the wall.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over shorter distances, LRAD signals are loud enough to cause pain in the ears of people in their path. LRAD systems have recently been used by police as “sonic weapons” to break up crowds. At first blush, the use of noise rather than physical force might seem like a safe, non-lethal way to move and direct crowds, but if used improperly they can cause permanent hearing damage. This is not only an issue for the intended targets; it also poses a significant threat to public safety officers working nearby.

Long Range Acoustic Devices (LRAD) and Public Safety - Acentech

Anyone think the RTP are going to use this device properly?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Over shorter distances, LRAD signals are loud enough to cause pain in the ears of people in their path. LRAD systems have recently been used by police as “sonic weapons” to break up crowds. At first blush, the use of noise rather than physical force might seem like a safe, non-lethal way to move and direct crowds, but if used improperly they can cause permanent hearing damage. This is not only an issue for the intended targets; it also poses a significant threat to public safety officers working nearby.

Long Range Acoustic Devices (LRAD) and Public Safety - Acentech

Anyone think the RTP are going to use this device properly?

The big assumption is in assuming that any of them have the intelligence to actually turn it on,  They are the state sponsored RTP don't forget

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For Police in any country their priority should be to protect that countries people. They are not there to attack protesters on behalf of Governments if people protest without violence. Unfortunately violence breeds violence so it seems they are expecting that. I hope not. The Thai people deserve better. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the writer meant the Thai Police are looking to buy more riot gear and teargas, not riot gear and tears. They've caused more than enough tears!

Mind you, it's sign the government is worried...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use