News Forum - Pilot seriously injured in F-5 fighter jet crash in Lop Buri

Thaiger

2 minutes ago, Stardust said:

But these ones you cannot use in any means for the  military it is for observe smuggling routes etc. More for police units

Perhaps they will be for Thai kamikaze pilots ? 😂

47 minutes ago, Stardust said:

But these ones you cannot use in any means for the  military it is for observe smuggling routes etc. More for police units

I would think that and also troop ground support and they do carry missiles. Maybe nice for elite parades as well.

image.thumb.png.57e2ac5548b4a37f1a3a5a2cf37ed900.png

57 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

I would think that and also troop ground support and they do carry missiles. Maybe nice for elite parades as well.

image.thumb.png.57e2ac5548b4a37f1a3a5a2cf37ed900.png

Yes I saw the gas tanks and missiles. It is not any way useable for any air combats, I guess they use this type in Columbia, Mexico in their battles with smuggling routes of the cartels etc. Defently not as a airforce, even a good guerrellia can shot this one down and no chance in any modern air battle. For me it seems mor for observations in jungle areas or remote areas for smuggling routes, drug trafficker gangs cartels etc able to counter machine gun fight with this type of missiles, this would make sense and also this camera system points to that.

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Yes I saw the gas tanks and missiles. It is not any way useable for any air combats, I guess they use this type in Columbia, Mexico in their battles with smuggling routes of the cartels etc. Defently not as a airforce, even a good guerrellia can shot this one down and no chance in any modern air battle. For me it seems mor for observations in jungle areas or remote areas for smuggling routes, drug trafficker gangs cartels etc able to counter machine gun fight with this type of missiles, this would make sense and also this camera system points to that.

Yes but still maybe practical for them as they will never be in any air fights, and it is definitely a surveillance plane as well. 
I still love this plane here:

image.jpeg.cf5bb4443e89bff4d975fa425c8a0678.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yes but still maybe practical for them as they will never be in any air fights, and it is definitely a surveillance plane as well. 

As long they not shoot on their own people. Because I still dont get for what they want that because it is for huge aereas where you could not cover up with a chopper and more common in south america with huge areas of Rainforests, remote Mountain areas or maybe Myanmar. In Thailand they don't have these huge remote areas so all these border areas etc they can use a chopper. Would be really interesting for what they want to use it because I really not see any reason for it. 

Yes nice plane

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stardust said:

As long they not shoot on their own people. Because I still dont get for what they want that because it is for huge aereas where you could not cover up with a chopper and more common in south america with huge areas of Rainforests, remote Mountain areas or maybe Myanmar. In Thailand they don't have these huge remote areas so all these border areas etc they can use a chopper. Would be really interesting for what they want to use it because I really not see any reason for it. 

Yes nice plane

Should give the Royal Thai Air Force airfix plane kits as that way they would neither endanger their own lives or those of anybody else.

10 minutes ago, gummy said:

Should give the Royal Thai Air Force airfix plane kits as that way they would neither endanger their own lives or those of anybody else.

Perhaps you could use you expertise and show how they go together. 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gummy said:

But then given the Thai military's traditional historical record that the death of it's civilians caused by them (Thai miliatary) far outweighs casualties inflicted on a foreign foe, then you don't really need the latest fighter jets to strafe it's own civilians if and when the need arises

Correct which is why the are buying the turbo prop beech Texan.

An excellent budget primary trainer and ground attack aircraft.

Ideal for use on your own unarmed citizens.

14 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

The A-6 is good for counter insurgent work along with close in ground support in a low intensity war. I can see why Thailand would want to own some. The A-10 as you can see from the picture normally carry’s a pair of sidewinder air to air missiles when operating in contested airspace. In training they have been known to take out an overconfident fighter from time to time . A-10 pilots routinely practice air to air combat.

21 hours ago, Stardust said:

Yes we know that from the french legion in jungle missions in Africa, kfor or un mandated troops mostly from europe. Actual in Mali from France and Germany Army but none from Thailand as you not find one all over the Continent. I was also interested about what and where is he talking? I would be interested in one international mission, combat or battle with a Thai unit (jungle mission). And I know nobody who served share his views or claims.

INTERFET, Cambodia, Somalia, Iraq.

54 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

The A-6 is good for counter insurgent work along with close in ground support in a low intensity war. I can see why Thailand would want to own some. The A-10 as you can see from the picture normally carry’s a pair of sidewinder air to air missiles when operating in contested airspace. In training they have been known to take out an overconfident fighter from time to time . A-10 pilots routinely practice air to air combat.

Insurgents in the south this could be but would make it into a civil war zone. Thats why I said I hope they will not use it to shoot on their own people. Anyway in this areas you can use a chopper. 

40 minutes ago, Stardust said:

Insurgents in the south this could be but would make it into a civil war zone. Thats why I said I hope they will not use it to shoot on their own people. Anyway in this areas you can use a chopper. 

True but there is a lot to be said about the benefits in mix of weapon systems. Aircraft have some distinct advantages over helicopters. Larger weapon loads, faster on target times along with higher sortie rates and in general harder to shoot down (speed is safely). I would think if your intent was to use something against your own people you would first use choppers. Either way I certainly agree with the hope neither get used against civilians. 

• Like 1

“ light attack”….reminds be of the old British BAE Strikemasters used in Oman fifty years ago to destroy communist insurgent camps & attacks. Famously saved the SAS squad at MIRBAT from being overrun. Thais have no nation enemies so hardly need any military really. Certainly dont need such aircraft or submarines. Ridiculous waste of money.Unnecessary macho boys toys mindset here, like their stupid “ jump wings” given out of a cereal packet after a day falling off towers…..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Awesome bit of kit with a satanic sound from the engines alone before it even starts firing the main gun .. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EdwardV said:

True but there is a lot to be said about the benefits in mix of weapon systems. Aircraft have some distinct advantages over helicopters. Larger weapon loads, faster on target times along with higher sortie rates and in general harder to shoot down (speed is safely). I would think if your intent was to use something against your own people you would first use choppers. Either way I certainly agree with the hope neither get used against civilians. 

I'm aware that helicopter gun ships were used against the students demonstrations in 1973. I could see them from my house in Bangkok with there machine guns in the doorway. I wasn't here in 1976 but that lead to the communist insurgency so I assume they were used there. Fast-forward to 2010 and the military mostly used snipers for there dirty work.  So in general I'd have to say that airplanes haven't been widely used used to put down demonstrations.