News Forum - Pilot seriously injured in F-5 fighter jet crash in Lop Buri

Thaiger

Warning: Some may find the photos below disturbing. An F-5 fighter jet crashed during training in the Chai Badan area of Central Thailand’s Lop Buri province today morning, critically injuring the pilot. The fighter jet, from Wing 21, crashed onto a training field in Chai Badan district at 11am, according to Air Force spokesperson AVM Prapas Sornchaidee. The pilot ejected from the aircraft before it hit the ground, but he was still seriously injured and taken to the hospital for treatment. The air force has a fleet of 19 F-5s based in the province of Ubon Ratchathani. Reports by the […]

The story Pilot seriously injured in F-5 fighter jet crash in Lop Buri as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

in case you are wondering what the jet looks like.

"The F-5A entered service in the early 1960s. During the Cold War, over 800 were produced through 1972 for U.S. allies. Though at the time the United States Air Force (USAF) did not have a need for a light fighter, it did procure approximately 1,200 Northrop T-38 Talon trainer aircraft, which was based on Northrop's N-156 fighter design."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

doghvuvgwnload (1).jpg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Transam said:

For the last few days, Ubon town has had to put up with these old crates buzzing the area. Surely in this day and age, F5's are passed it...

F15 Eagles began over 40 years ago, but with updated avionics and weaponry, they’re just fine. I’m not saying all are that old, just that if properly maintained, they can last a long while. All warplanes have a lot of stress applied to them and it’s a matter of time before something breaks. 

27 minutes ago, Transam said:

For the last few days, Ubon town has had to put up with these old crates buzzing the area. Surely in this day and age, F5's are passed it...

Thailand must be ready for invasion no matter what the cost. 

f2e36ef1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

in case you are wondering what the jet looks like.

"The F-5A entered service in the early 1960s. During the Cold War, over 800 were produced through 1972 for U.S. allies. Though at the time the United States Air Force (USAF) did not have a need for a light fighter, it did procure approximately 1,200 Northrop T-38 Talon trainer aircraft, which was based on Northrop's N-156 fighter design."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_F-5

doghvuvgwnload (1).jpg

I am wondering for what they need this oldtimer? Anyway nice for a oldtimer air show. They also still fly over 50 year old alpha jet models. The Army who can make coups but never had any chance in a battle with a real Army.

Thailands frontline fighter is the Swedish Gripen. It’s a modern and quite capable fighter, but Thailand only has 12 of them and that includes the trainers. They have order another six to be delivered in the near future. Modern air forces are very expensive but the Thai F-5s are very long in the tooth and should have been retired long ago. 

• Like 2

Both the civil and military airport are bordering Ubon Ratchathani city.  I often got a big scare by the sudden incredibly loud noise when 4 or 5 of those fighter-jets came thundering over the city at what I reckon approx 30-40 meters height...

14 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Thailands frontline fighter is the Swedish Gripen. It’s a modern and quite capable fighter, but Thailand only has 12 of them and that includes the trainers. They have order another six to be delivered in the near future. Modern air forces are very expensive but the Thai F-5s are very long in the tooth and should have been retired long ago. 

But then given the Thai military's traditional historical record that the death of it's civilians caused by them (Thai miliatary) far outweighs casualties inflicted on a foreign foe, then you don't really need the latest fighter jets to strafe it's own civilians if and when the need arises

7 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Both the civil and military airport are bordering Ubon Ratchathani city.  I often got a big scare by the sudden incredibly loud noise when 4 or 5 of those fighter-jets came thundering over the city at what I reckon approx 30-40 meters height...

Not 'bordering' but right in the middle of the city 😜 same as Chiang Mai.  We have Wing41 Gripens, trainers and choppers flying over us frequently and those living in Nimmen/Suthep area are directly under the take-off zone.  Very noisy and PM 2.5 is bad there as a result of ac + heavy traffic.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BlueSphinx said:

Yes....used to hear the sound of them in the background when my daughter was doing an online class! We have them fly down here over us doing lots of manoeuvres but have to have a good eye to spot them!

7 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Yes....used to hear the sound of them in the background when my daughter was doing an online class! We have them fly down here over us doing lots of manoeuvres but have to have a good eye to spot them!

When these fighter-jets fly as low as they do over Ubon when returning from a manoever, and you are staying in the area under the flight-route (where my favorite Ubon Hotel is situated) you cannot miss seeing them after first being scared sh!tless by the sudden thundering noise.  They fly so low that it looks you can almost touch them... and luckily no high-rise buildings in that part of the city...

17 hours ago, ThaiEyes said:

F15 Eagles began over 40 years ago, but with updated avionics and weaponry, they’re just fine. I’m not saying all are that old, just that if properly maintained, they can last a long while. All warplanes have a lot of stress applied to them and it’s a matter of time before something breaks. 

Comon what you wanna do with that if a Eurofighter Typhoon is near you. You even not see him before you get shot down. Sure it is useable as a oldtimer for airshows. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gummy said:

But then given the Thai military's traditional historical record that the death of it's civilians caused by them (Thai miliatary) far outweighs casualties inflicted on a foreign foe, then you don't really need the latest fighter jets to strafe it's own civilians if and when the need arises

A real army never points their guns to their own unarmed people. The Japanes just needed 24 hours til they surrendered.

10 minutes ago, Stardust said:

A real army never points their guns to their own unarmed people. The Japanes just needed 24 hours til they surrendered.

Very true and by comparison the Thai army would make Saddam Hussein's army look like hardened resistance fighters 😂

1 hour ago, NorfolkandChance said:

F4 Phantoms still flying frontline.

Some third world countries air forces still have them, but they are hardly 'front line'. They would not last one sortie against a new generation aircraft. 

12 minutes ago, gummy said:

the Thai army would make Saddam Hussein's army look like hardened resistance fighters 😂

If i may say so, that is a grossly uninformed comment  The Thai Army, ex their drafted troops,  and especially their Special Forces and Marines, are some of the best jungle operators in the world.  I would certainly not underestimate them in any conflict. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pinetree said:

If i may say so, that is a grossly uninformed comment  The Thai Army, ex their drafted troops,  and especially their Special Forces and Marines, are some of the best jungle operators in the world.  I would certainly not underestimate them in any conflict. 

Based on exactly which major conflict in which the current Thai military  participated  would that opinion have been formed ?

all of Thailand's fighters are just for play time for the military. 

a select few get to fly the various types of fighters they have. it's fun.

in a real war, none of Thailand air force would get off the ground and would be completely destroyed in the first hour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Some posters here have a very distorted view of anything Thai.  They find it easy to bad mouth anything, but fiercely defend anything critical of their motherland. At the same time they live and take full advantage of Thai hospitality. 

Over the years I have known many intelligent and capable Thai officers and professionals. I count them as truly capable friends. Many truly dispise corruption, but I see corruption in many other places not just Thailand.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Some third world countries air forces still have them, but they are hardly 'front line'. They would not last one sortie against a new generation aircraft. 

Iran, South Korea,Greece and Turkey. Japan has only recently withdrew them. I would suggest Iran could be classed as 3rd world.

10 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

You for sure never served in a real army otherwise you would understand the difference. This comment you should also make to somebody from the french legion and understand the difference about trained in the jungle (french guinea). There are many retired ones in south east asia even in Thailand. Maybe talk with some of them with your claims but don't make him angry a finger of him is deathly weapon and faster as a gun.

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Some posters here have a very distorted view of anything Thai.  They find it easy to bad mouth anything, but fiercely defend anything critical of their motherland. At the same time they live and take full advantage of Thai hospitality. 

Over the years I have known many intelligent and capable Thai officers and professionals. I count them as truly capable friends. Many truly dispise corruption, but I see corruption in many other places not just Thailand.

Compare to you in my family Thai is a native language and have relatives served in the Thai army and also many in European/Nato Army. So fully aware of it. And as many mostly have 2 passports not in use of any hospitality and love their countries much morethan you. But people who wants that Thailand not develop are the the ones who hate Thais or wants that Thais are oppressed are the bad ones.