News Forum - Maya Bay reopening likely to be postponed | VIDEO

Thaiger

Maya Bay, on Koh Phi Phi Leh, in between Krabi and Phuket, was slated for a reopening on January 1. But now there’s a building swell of local support to keep the famous Bay closed, for a while anyway. A Line group used by the Marine National Park, along with tour operators and other stakeholders, has revealed a groundswell of support to extend the closure of the picturesque bay, made famous in the 2000 film, “The Beach”. Of note, the support has come from the local Thai stakeholders and tour operators who are committed to long-term protection of the popular […]

The story Maya Bay reopening likely to be postponed | VIDEO as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Just now, AlexPTY said:

Don't think it's needed, since nobody will come 

True in the short term but environmental issues should always take precedence. Naturally that is not something the powers that be in the current regime consider important in Thailand.

22 minutes ago, gummy said:

True in the short term but environmental issues should always take precedence. Naturally that is not something the powers that be in the current regime consider important in Thailand.

that place was destroyed by tourist boats, anchors and so on... national parks supposed to be regulated and enforced, but travel agents greed superseded every common sense. Look what happened at Koh Chang and Samet. Those national parks not suppose to issue any building permits...

COVID brought wild life back to where is supposed to be, even in the cities. I guess it's a payback in some way for humans sh#$ng on their planet

• Like 2

Just now, AlexPTY said:

that place was destroyed by tourist boats, anchors and so on... national parks supposed to be regulated and enforced, but travel agents greed superseded every common sense. Look what happened at Koh Chang and Samet. Those national parks not suppose to issue any building permits...

COVID brought wild life back to where is supposed to be, even in the cities. I guess it's a payback in some way for humans sh#$ng on their planet

Phuket also was a pretty place when I first visited it 1987, now look at it  overrun with Thai scammers and foreign stowaways  well prior to covid, but the the Phuket mafia are busting a gut to return it that way.

4 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Don't think it's needed, since nobody will come 

Yes, perhaps.

But

The proposal to reopen the bay to tourists was also going to limit boat and passenger numbers daily, and prevent boats entering the actual bay.

The tour operators are still hoping and don't wanna have to share there customers for the slots, they would get. For them it works better, to get everyone from/to Losama bay, the 10 minutes walk is even a sales point. 

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

Yes, perhaps.

But

The proposal to reopen the bay to tourists was also going to limit boat and passenger numbers daily, and prevent boats entering the actual bay.

The tour operators are still hoping and don't wanna have to share there customers for the slots, they would get. For them it works better, to get everyone from/to Losama bay, the 10 minutes walk is even a sales point. 

there is a difference between hope and reality

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gummy said:

Phuket also was a pretty place when I first visited it 1987, now look at it  overrun with Thai scammers and foreign stowaways  well prior to covid, but the the Phuket mafia are busting a gut to return it that way.

Thanks Gummy. Heart warming to see a man that has a pair stand up and call a spade a spade. What you said is truly sad in its honesty.

Governments will only stamp out injustice when it benefits them.

I can't help think that you haven't returned to Phuket since 1987. Makes me think that you want to keep a hold of what a place should be even if its only a memory.

16 hours ago, gummy said:

I must have preceeded you by 15 years. It was just a sleepy place and the beaches were deserted.  Great sea food a "new lucky" if I remember the name. The bus was 13 hours from Bangkok.  The reports I get from friends prevent me from wanting to return. 

This area saw a welcome rest from tourism which has begun the healing of it. There's too extremes to avoid. One, it is overrun by tourists again or two, it becomes a destination only elites can enter. Somewhere in the middle is a balance. I just hope they can strike that balance.

6 hours ago, LoongFred said:

I must have preceeded you by 15 years. It was just a sleepy place and the beaches were deserted.  Great sea food a "new lucky" if I remember the name. The bus was 13 hours from Bangkok.  The reports I get from friends prevent me from wanting to return. 

It was even better in the 40s.