Thailand Pass for Re-entry

I am a holder of Non Immigrant 'O' Retirement Visa and have lived in Bangkok for 5 years since 2017. 

I have to go back to my home country sometime in February or March 2022 to resolve some personal matters and return to Thailand thereafter. 

Due to the introduction of Thailand Pass registration for my RE-ENTRY, it has caused anxiety to me as I am now 79 and it is unlikely that I can purchase the prescribed Medical Insurance of US$50,000 to meet with the regulations set for the Thailand Pass registration. It looks like my RE-ENTRY to Thailand after my oversea trip shall be denied.

However, it is          stipulated in the regulations that all returning Thai nationals and foreign residents are exempt from the prescribed Medical Insurance as they are deemed to be eligible for and covered by the National Healthcare Coverage. How does the National Healthcare Coverage work? 

Being a holder of Non Imm 'O' Retirement Visa, I am  not sure whether or not I would be entitled to the benefit of the National Healthcare Coverage as follows :

(a) No need to submit evidence of Medical Insurance to The Thailand Immigration for every annual extension of long stay, 

(b) I can get medical assistance from the Thai Government hospital or clinic at anytime for regular health checks or treatments. For such events, I only pay  reasonably cheap fee for each visit. 

Any guidance please... Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hi Tan,

42 minutes ago, Tan said:

However, it is          stipulated in the regulations that all returning Thai nationals and foreign residents are exempt from the prescribed Medical Insurance as they are deemed to be eligible for and covered by the National Healthcare Coverage. How does the National Healthcare Coverage work? 

Foreign residents refers to those foreigners with 'permanent residence' status, not those on extensions of stay who are classed as temporary.

48 minutes ago, Tan said:

Being a holder of Non Imm 'O' Retirement Visa, I am  not sure whether or not I would be entitled to the benefit of the National Healthcare Coverage as follows :

Your the holder of a temporary extension of your permission of stay (a permit, not a Visa) based on retirement. Your status is 'Non Immigrant'.

51 minutes ago, Tan said:

(a) No need to submit evidence of Medical Insurance to The Thailand Immigration for every annual extension of long stay, 

That applies to all foreigners that entered on a Non O Visa.
Health Insurance 400/40K (not to be confused with the $50,000 Medical Insurance) is required for annual extension for original Non O-A Visa entries.

54 minutes ago, Tan said:

(b) I can get medical assistance from the Thai Government hospital or clinic at anytime for regular health checks or treatments. For such events, I only pay  reasonably cheap fee for each visit. 

You don't get any financial assistance from the Government for health care, you simply pay far less in a Government hospital than a private hospital.

Regarding the 'Medical Insurance' of $50,000 USD for entry, there are Insurers who will provide such for being over 75, but the cost will be greater due to the higher risk involved.
Just Google 'Medical Insurance for age 75 and over' for a list.

This topic may be of interest: https://thethaiger.com/talk/topic/4613-need-covid-insurance-longstay-expat-farang-over-age-75/

You'll need a re-entry permit and the period of Insurance must cover the period granted on entry.
If your extension renewal date is for example in August and you re-entered March, the policy would need to cover from the date of re-entry to the extension renewal date in August.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Faz... Your guidance is extremely helpful. I have now managed to locate a party ready to provide the prescribed COVID 19 INSURANCE to facilitate my registration of the Thailand Pass for my RE-ENTRY despite my age of 79.

My another question is whether or not I would need to apply for my RE-ENTRY Permit from the Thailand Immigration Department in addition to the Thailand Pass registration? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tan said:

Thanks Faz... Your guidance is extremely helpful. I have now managed to locate a party ready to provide the prescribed COVID 19 INSURANCE to facilitate my registration of the Thailand Pass for my RE-ENTRY despite my age of 79.

My another question is whether or not I would need to apply for my RE-ENTRY Permit from the Thailand Immigration Department in addition to the Thailand Pass registration? 

Tan, Faz already said it Thailand Pass has requirements you need to match. It's not only the covid-19 insurance.

The Re-Entry is ofcourse in addition to the Thailand Pass and can be done at your local immigration office or at the airport.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shark said:

Tan, Faz already said it Thailand Pass has requirements you need to match. It's not only the covid-19 insurance.

The Re-Entry is ofcourse in addition to the Thailand Pass and can be done at your local immigration office or at the airport.

Thanks Shark... 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 2:13 PM, Tan said:

2 separate unrelated processes.
The Thailand Pass provides you with proof you've met the entry requirements.
The re-entry permit protects your current permission of stay on re-entry, determining how long you'll be stamped in for on entry.

What date does your current extension expire?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faz said:

2 separate unrelated processes.
The Thailand Pass provides you with proof you've met the entry requirements.
The re-entry permit protects your current permission of stay on re-entry, determining how long you'll be stamped in for on entry.

What date does your current extension expire?

Noted and thanks Faz... The situation is very clear to me now. 

My current extension of long stay is due to expire on 15 May 2022. Now I can plan to go back to my home country in early March and return to Thailand, re-entry, on 16 April 2022. What I need to do is to purchase the prescribed COVID 19 INSURANCE for the period from 16 April to 15 May 2022 as required for the Thailand Pass registration. The prescribed insurance coverage is available for month to month basis. On my return to Thailand, I just need to visit the Thailand Immigration office to apply for the further extension of my long stay in the Land of Smiles. 

Any additional guidance please... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tan said:

My current extension of long stay is due to expire on 15 May 2022. Now I can plan to go back to my home country in early March and return to Thailand, re-entry, on 16 April 2022. What I need to do is to purchase the prescribed COVID 19 INSURANCE for the period from 16 April to 15 May 2022 as required for the Thailand Pass registration. The prescribed insurance coverage is available for month to month basis. On my return to Thailand, I just need to visit the Thailand Immigration office to apply for the further extension of my long stay in the Land of Smiles. 

You've got it!  👍

Somewhere between now and march you'll have a 90 day report so submit. If you do it in person you can apply for a single re-entry permit at the same time. (1,000 BHT). TM 8 Application for Re entry permit.pdf

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

You've got it!  👍

Somewhere between now and march you'll have a 90 day report so submit. If you do it in person you can apply for a single re-entry permit at the same time. (1,000 BHT). TM 8 Application for Re entry permit.pdf

Noted and thanks Faz... It looks like I have hit on the nail at last. With regards to the 90 day report and the application for Re-entry permit, I will attend to them accordingly. 

• Like 1