Are the men who keep calling our Massage salon racists?

Sateeb

Our salon is in Dumfries Scotland. The word "Thai" appears in the name of the Salon. Time and time again, men phone up asking for extras, HE, HJob etc. For some reason, they associate the word "Thai" with sexual favours or services, and expect every Thai Masseuse or therapist is going to be happy with, and fulfil such a request. For me, this is racism, the association of "Thai" with sexual acts. Do British / Western men think that all Thai women are the same? How should we feel about those who give Thai women a bad name by offering these services ? I'm not sure it's necessarily their fault, but rather the fault of the Men who are supposedly better educated, and should realise that not all Thai women should be tarred with the same brush.....Has anyone else got an opinion on this? I know my wife is massively angry about this, and the other lady who works with her was really shocked the first time she was asked a couple of weeks ago. She's only been in the country a few months.

• Like 1

Sadly the phrase "Thai massage" has a reputation for being little more than a knocking shop. Most people who have actually been to Thailand realise that some are and some are not.

Over here you can find both types of establishment next door to each other.

I dont think its racism as such but I am afraid it will always be an ongoing issue for you guys.

Perhaps a recorded message on an answering machine saying that such services are NOT offered before the phone actually rings would filter out such questions?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sateeb said:

Our salon is in Dumfries Scotland. The word "Thai" appears in the name of the Salon. Time and time again, men phone up asking for extras, HE, HJob etc. For some reason, they associate the word "Thai" with sexual favours or services, and expect every Thai Masseuse or therapist is going to be happy with, and fulfil such a request. For me, this is racism, the association of "Thai" with sexual acts. Do British / Western men think that all Thai women are the same? How should we feel about those who give Thai women a bad name by offering these services ? I'm not sure it's necessarily their fault, but rather the fault of the Men who are supposedly better educated, and should realise that not all Thai women should be tarred with the same brush.....Has anyone else got an opinion on this? I know my wife is massively angry about this, and the other lady who works with her was really shocked the first time she was asked a couple of weeks ago. She's only been in the country a few months.

Although I think these guys are weird for calling up and asking that stuff

I also think it is a deserved stereotype, given how many are "knocking shops"

I was in NYC last month and had to wait 4 hours to get into my hotel, so decided to get a massage

I wanted a legit massage and I purposedly bypassed 3 or 4 that didn't look 100%

And even with the one I chose, I only got a foot massage because I didn't want to deal with possibly being propisitioned going in the back for a back massge

• Like 5

You're confusing your ism's. 

Racist: noun

a person who believes in racism, the doctrine that one's own racial group is superior or that a particular racial group is inferior to the others.

I found an ism...
The worlds oldest profession is called:

Magdalenism: Noun

The act of engaging in carnal activity in exchange for payment

OP ,Years ago I was getting  my hair cut in a salon! The women barber was quite chatty ! She said what are you doing here in California ? She detected a accent and knew I was from the east coast ! I said ,I was visiting my kids ,then off  for Thailand !  I seen her  smile in the mirror  and then she said in a low dark voice ,I know what your gonna do. Meh not me , I replied.

2 years ago I was having a massage with my wife . My wife told the Thai women,in Thai , that I like my butt massaged ,she smiled. We went to a room where a curtain  separated my wife and I . I took off my clothes and laid on the bed enjoying the body massage . I asked her if she was shy  ! She said in English "why shy ,I'm the same as you!

Over the years its been my experience that more often then not when the lady fails to mention whether or not to take off all your clothes  ,as one example ,its usually a good indication of what  usually is on the agenda !

Massage is very pleasurable all over the world ! I must admit if I had to choose one demographic over the other it would be  Asia.

A  suggestion ,mention before the massage there are no other services ,only massage. That usually solves the curiosity seeking men imop

Oh ,I forgot to mention ,there are no racial undertones involved ,so get that out of your head.  For some, Its just  guys being guys imop

Cheers 

• Haha 1

Thai is not a race it's a nationality, what do you expect when Thailand is known the world over for being a large sex tourist destination? or rather was.

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Sadly the phrase "Thai massage" has a reputation for being little more than a knocking shop. Most people who have actually been to Thailand realise that some are and some are not.

Over here you can find both types of establishment next door to each other.

I dont think its racism as such but I am afraid it will always be an ongoing issue for you guys.

Perhaps a recorded message on an answering machine saying that such services are NOT offered before the phone actually rings would filter out such questions?

My wife is worried about saying that we don't offer those services as she feels it might put a lot of women off, who incidentally, are her main customers.

17 minutes ago, Sarisin said:

Thai is not a race it's a nationality, what do you expect when Thailand is known the world over for being a large sex tourist destination? or rather was.

"Was" being the operative word...

15 minutes ago, Sateeb said:

My wife is worried about saying that we don't offer those services as she feels it might put a lot of women off, who incidentally, are her main customers.

Why on earth would she say that to a women !

98 percent of the time ,women seeking  massage  aren't the problem,you said it yourself ! 

"men phone up asking for extras"

48 minutes ago, Sateeb said:

You said you just got started

I think once you are established, the reputation gets out that you are a legit massge

One thing I would suggest, and I don't know your budget

But it seems really nice spa like places don't suffer the same stereotype as a run of the mill massage place

There is a beautiful Thai massage place in my apartment building in Vancouver

And there many run of the mill type places around

I am sure the spa type place doesn't get many of those requests

This is the one in my apartment building

https://smilethaiwellness.com/gallery/gallery/

4 hours ago, TiT said:

Yes.

I remember being in BKK once and a Farang propositioned the wrong girl, thinking she was a "working girl". Her response was swift and she laid him out.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Sateeb said:

I don't think it's anything to do with racism. All places that advertise massage get similar enquiries. The only thing I would add to that, is that if you are advertising Thai Massage, those men who think all MP's are brothels, may be inclined to believe that yours is offering oriental women, which I don't doubt that many men have fantasised about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I remember being in BKK once and a Farang propositioned the wrong girl, thinking she was a "working girl". Her response was swift and she laid him out.

You mean shagged him to death ? 😂

7 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Got laid right there in the street?  Lucky guy!

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Sarisin said:

And this government may just be using Covid to change all that and eventually change Thailand's reputation. It does present a unique, once in a generation opportunity to do that. 

3 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

And this government may just be using Covid to change all that and eventually change Thailand's reputation. It does present a unique, once in a generation opportunity to do that. 

As long as there are Thai males walking around and a higher echelon of depraved immoral Thais, which accounts for 90% of the prostitution and other polygamous depravity and has general acceptance by the Thai population, Thailand will never shed that image.

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

As long as there are Thai males walking around and a higher echelon of depraved immoral Thais, which accounts for 90% of the prostitution and other polygamous depravity and has general acceptance by the Thai population, Thailand will never shed that image.

Your experiences differ from mine greatly. Either it's different where you live and/or you only associate with people like yourself. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Your experiences differ from mine greatly. Either it's different where you live and/or you only associate with people like yourself. 

Not my experience at all, did I say so or just your perverted outlook on life here ?  My statement is based on common knowledge available across many media reports over the last few years. However if you are taking the Ostrich approach to life because reality is something you find hard to manage then never mind, that's your personal issue and nobody else's.

16 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Lets hope so, then the bald headed cargo shorts wearing perverts will have to slither off elsewhere to pursue their depraved activities, another country where they can 'fall in love with the culture' 😄

11 hours ago, riclag said:

OP ,Years ago I was getting  my hair cut in a salon! The women barber was quite chatty ! She said what are you doing here in California ? She detected a accent and knew I was from the east coast ! I said ,I was visiting my kids ,then off  for Thailand !  I seen her  smile in the mirror  and then she said in a low dark voice ,I know what your gonna do. Meh not me , I replied.

2 years ago I was having a massage with my wife . My wife told the Thai women,in Thai , that I like my butt massaged ,she smiled. We went to a room where a curtain  separated my wife and I . I took off my clothes and laid on the bed enjoying the body massage . I asked her if she was shy  ! She said in English "why shy ,I'm the same as you!

Over the years its been my experience that more often then not when the lady fails to mention whether or not to take off all your clothes  ,as one example ,its usually a good indication of what  usually is on the agenda !

Massage is very pleasurable all over the world ! I must admit if I had to choose one demographic over the other it would be  Asia.

A  suggestion ,mention before the massage there are no other services ,only massage. That usually solves the curiosity seeking men imop

Oh ,I forgot to mention ,there are no racial undertones involved ,so get that out of your head.  For some, Its just  guys being guys imop

Cheers 

Quote, "said in English "why shy ,I'm the same as you!

so 'she' was a bloke?

Edited by steve860

41 minutes ago, steve860 said:

Quote, "said in English "why shy ,I'm the same as you!

so 'she' was a bloke?

No , it was meant in a feeling sense! 
She liked the pleasures of a total  body 

massage without feeling inhibited!

• Haha 1