News Forum - Research continues to reveal effects of too much homework on students

Thaiger

The age-old assumption that homework benefits students of all ages, includes skills that some say only homework can help develop. From time management to organisation, proponents of giving homework to students point to its ability to help them learn pertinent life skills. But, many countries are gradually stopping the issuance of homework as they say it is exhausting learners in more than 1 way. From China recently banning homework and after school, core subject tutoring, to Finland doing away with homework completely, the reasons for ceasing homework are varied. One thing, however, that is not going away, is the mounting […]

The story Research continues to reveal effects of too much homework on students as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Some homework is good. Overkill is not. Better the teach the subject matter and then briefly touch back on it in the next class as to cement and refresh before moving on.

In all honesty, educational institutions have enough time in a day to educate and test understanding. Students are exhausted by the time they get home. I know we lampoon the CCP and China, but I really think this is a good call. Students need time to unwind, to enjoy life and rest. In democratic countries we will debate the concept of no homework and have several Government enquiries, before submitting legislation, which would then have to be debated....it could take years! Or we could just make it happen. (No need for CCP involvement...thanks but no thanks) 

With my own daughter in first year of Senior High (Grade 11) in Thailand, the homework volume is simply an overkill. She studies so hard but retention as she does it can be seen to full dramatically as she tries to get the volume done.

Some of this is catch up from missed class time on subjects when she attends military training. I accept that and work with her to overcome those challenges over the weekend.

But one of the teachers mentioned to me that there is no discussion amongst the teachers on homework volume, so each just looks at their own class as if it was the only homework given out. Hence the volume.

To me, homework was always about reviewing and reinforcing what I learnt that day. But so much of what she does is associated to stuff they have not touched on in class and that troubles me at times. But with online learning, class times have been shortened and hence teaching time as well, forcing a need for greater student involvement in their own learning.

Modern education needs to catch up with the digital age.  In many cases it is no longer necessary to commit obscure information to memory but how and where to access the information using computer technology. The way in which that information is interpreted  is far more important.  

I got through the first paragraph with only mild agitation.

In the next paragraph, I clicked on the link about "China banning homework", mainly because I was skeptical about the suggestion that it was motivated by an effort to reduce stress on students. Turns out (spoiler alert!) that China just wants to implement the dogma "knowledge comes by what you are passively told, not by what you can actively discover for yourself". It has nothing to do with reducing stress/exhaustion/suicide rates.

After that it became a story of experts on one side of the fence highlighting (only) problematic areas such as equity and occasional burn-outs. Just to be clear: I don't discount the veracity of such claims, but it's one-sided and it's also obvious that this article belongs to the domain of PR rather than news.

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Finland doing away with homework completely

Wow, finland is such an awesome country. 

5 hours ago, Thaiger said:

China recently banning homework

Communists!!!! 

6 hours ago, Smithydog said:

With my own daughter in first year of Senior High (Grade 11) in Thailand, the homework volume is simply an overkill. She studies so hard but retention as she does it can be seen to full dramatically as she tries to get the volume done.

Some of this is catch up from missed class time on subjects when she attends military training. I accept that and work with her to overcome those challenges over the weekend.

But one of the teachers mentioned to me that there is no discussion amongst the teachers on homework volume, so each just looks at their own class as if it was the only homework given out. Hence the volume.

To me, homework was always about reviewing and reinforcing what I learnt that day. But so much of what she does is associated to stuff they have not touched on in class and that troubles me at times. But with online learning, class times have been shortened and hence teaching time as well, forcing a need for greater student involvement in their own learning.

I agree 100% about Thai homework

There were times we would pull my stepson out of school mid day on a Thursday to go away on a long weekend and the amount of homework he would have would be absurd!

And don't get me started on my wife's tutoring manners! Or I could say torture manners!