News Forum - Phuket officials order quarantine for more than 100 travellers from South Africa

Thaiger

More than 100 travellers from South Africa who entered Thailand over the past two weeks have been ordered to quarantine for 14 days as a preventative measure following the emergence of the Omicron variant. Nationwide, the Thai Immigration Bureau and the Public Health Ministry are working to track down a total of more than 780 people who travelled from African countries since November 15. Along with the 126 people who travelled from South Africa, four people who entered Thailand from Namibia between November 15 and 27 are also ordered to quarantine for 14 days due to the risk of Omicron. […]

The story Phuket officials order quarantine for more than 100 travellers from South Africa as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

another "welcome to Thailand" measure. Let's see: they are all fully vaccinated and pass a test prior to arrival, this makes any foreign tourist safer than most of the Thai population. When you friendly wet market chicken breasts seller was last time tested?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

This is absolute insanity. Imagine being South African and jumping every hoop possible. Staying the night in an ASQ hotel for the night, test results come back you're good!  Great...now to enjoy the remainder of your two week holiday.  Nope, police show up and now you get to quarantine for two weeks.

Were you sitting next to someone with the virus?  No.  Did anyone on the plane even have it?  No.  Did your nation actually have scientists doing the work and being honest by showing the results to the world.  Yes. 

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, huhuarf said:

This is absolute insanity. Imagine being South African and jumping every hoop possible. Staying the night in an ASQ hotel for the night, test results come back you're good!  Great...now to enjoy the remainder of your two week holiday.  Nope, police show up and now you get to quarantine for two weeks.

Were you sitting next to someone with the virus?  No.  Did anyone on the plane even have it?  No.  Did your nation actually have scientists doing the work and being honest by showing the results to the world.  Yes. 

Your spot on !How many who visit Thailand neglect to read the small print!

Here is a very helpful source from the UK govt. You should take precautions so you

can access money

• understand what your insurance will cover
  • can make arrangements to extend your stay and be away for longer than planned
  •  

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/coronavirus

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Prepare for the worst for the next couple of weeks, no traveling for at least 6 months, this is not only African nations will be affected by this new variant, which will be spreading across the whole world pretty soon.

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

... ordered to quarantine for 14 days as a preventative measure ...

That'll get the holiday off to a good start, particularly as apparently they have to pay for quarantine in a hotel and it's very unlikely any insurance will cover the cost 😕.

Good news, though - the first PCR test is free 😂 !

Reportedly any Thais coming from southern Africa will also be quarantined, but if they don't want to pay for the hotel they can stay for free at  the state-run Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute instead 😢 .

• Like 1

I mean this is just getting pathetic honestly.  I came here to work in August, and I know it's not too long but I sure would love to visit home during my vacations.  However, between insurance requirements (oh do I require a 30 day 50k USD Covid policy or one that covers my 12 months of my extension of stay?), as well as generalized uncertainty about how to get in and out, I don't even know when visits will be possible.

And yes, I'm fully vaccinated and getting a booster tomorrow.  Not that it would matter with these requirements.

• Like 3

this is really scary,they already did rt pcr test when before arrival and 1 test after arrival,then again want to 14 days quarantine.whats next every country which detects omicron case has to  quarantine for 2weeks.

what is happening,what is point of telling others not panic, while they are exhibiting panic reaction

this what happens when medical profession,WHO,tell news omicron could be dangerous,that is enough for normal person from different countries to be scared.then they say it could evade vaccines,creating more panic, vaccine hesistency can occur more .when this will stop?

• Like 8

I think WHO are trying to cover themselves. They were so lagardous at the start of the pandemic and want to make sure they scare the hell out of countries this time. While I can understand uncertainty and the desire to stop the spread of a new variant, this is an absolute overreaction. If Thailand wants to stop travellers coming from South Africa and surrounding countries, that is one thing (my country has done the same), but to quarantine people who are already in Thailand, having adhered to all the requirements....Moronic....hmmm those letters also spell Omicron!

• Like 4

It looks as if  a lot of people have not completely looked at the exact facts.

the new variant of virus did not originate from south africa, it was in fact first discovered by a south african doctor. The virus was already in europe before the doctor discovered the new type.

here is the artical about that:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59473131

now the question is, why is the Europe countries not receiving the travel restrictions but hypocritically it was decided to restricted to a country where was actually identified as a new variant?

• Like 3

The UK published the incorrect info about the new type on news channels and media. This once again is causing massive economic reactions and to people and business company's to loose income. The WHO is just doing the same with wrong info to spread unnecessary panic. It all boils down to manipulation and greed.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

That'll get the holiday off to a good start, particularly as apparently they have to pay for quarantine in a hotel and it's very unlikely any insurance will cover the cost 😕.

Good news, though - the first PCR test is free 😂 !

Reportedly any Thais coming from southern Africa will also be quarantined, but if they don't want to pay for the hotel they can stay for free at  the state-run Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute instead 😢 .

It's a pretty good option!

It will stop them catching anything here 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, huhuarf said:

I came here to work in August, and I know it's not too long but I sure would love to visit home during my vacations.  However, between insurance requirements (oh do I require a 30 day 50k USD Covid policy or one that covers my 12 months of my extension of stay?), as well as generalized uncertainty about how to get in and out, I don't even know when visits will be possible.

And yes, I'm fully vaccinated and getting a booster tomorrow.  Not that it would matter with these requirements.

If you came here on a work permit and you have a Social Security card / Social Security coverage you're exempt from the insurance requirement.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/content/thailand-pass-faqs?cate=5d5bcb4e15e39c3060006842

"Expats living and working in Thailand under a valid visa or residential permit are required to provide proof of insurance coverage in Thailand with a minimum coverage of 50,000 USD or a valid social security card or certified letter from their employer"

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2206667/health-insurance-not-required-for-thai-returnees

• Like 2

3 hours ago, huhuarf said:

in some countries this would be called a racial profiling... oops it already on CNN

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

in some countries this would be called a racial profiling... oops it already on CNN

Thailand racist? Never

• Haha 4

Yet another example of why visiting Thailand for short holiday right now is not a good idea.  If a local Provincial Governor can unilaterally decide to detain people because they come from a country and enforce a 14 day quarantine at their expense, that shows how bad things can get in Thailand, and how quickly. Omicron has been detected in 20 countries according to Google - are people from all those countries also going to be unilaterally detained/quarantined - after passing all the tests and hurdles to get into the country?!!  Unbelievable.

The latest Google search today indicated that the Omicron mutation was first detected on 11th November in Botswana by a Sth African Doc. It has apparently got the most adaptations of any variant detected so far and that is why WHO released an alert - because it looks like it will be more contagious than the rest - but they dont know yet. But as far as is known, no one has been entered into ICU or died of this mutation. It will take another 2-4 weeks before they know whether it is as big a concern as it is being treated - hopefully not.

Today I watched the 'South Park - Post Covid' TV Movie - very funny and also very topical - it is set 40 years into the future (and Covid still aint gone by then).  Highly recommended viewing if you like that sense of humour. Sensitive Snowflakes should avoid it. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

Yet another example of why visiting Thailand for short holiday right now is not a good idea.  If a local Provincial Governor can unilaterally decide to detain people because they come from a country and enforce a 14 day quarantine at their expense, that shows how bad things can get in Thailand, and how quickly. Omicron has been detected in 20 countries according to Google - are people from all those countries also going to be unilaterally detained/quarantined - after passing all the tests and hurdles to get into the country?!!  Unbelievable.

The latest Google search today indicated that the Omicron mutation was first detected on 11th November in Botswana by a Sth African Doc. It has apparently got the most adaptations of any variant detected so far and that is why WHO released an alert - because it looks like it will be more contagious than the rest - but they dont know yet. But as far as is known, no one has been entered into ICU or died of this mutation. It will take another 2-4 weeks before they know whether it is as big a concern as it is being treated - hopefully not.

Today I watched the 'South Park - Post Covid' TV Movie - very funny and also very topical - it is set 40 years into the future (and Covid still aint gone by then).  Highly recommended viewing if you like that sense of humour. Sensitive Snowflakes should avoid it. 

Alternatively it could also illustrate how this country is controlled by local warlords even after 300 years. Of course they are called Governors now but in reality they are no different and exercise their power whenever the opportunity creates itself.

1 hour ago, AussieBob said:

LOL Did you say Showflakes? Bryan May calks them Fruitcakes 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Stonker said:

If you came here on a work permit and you have a Social Security card / Social Security coverage you're exempt from the insurance requirement.

I'll double check with HR, but I think they told us that we're exempt from the social security scheme, so naturally didn't sign us up. I guess they can dodge that stuff for some reason.  They did also tell me awhile ago when I asked that absolutely our insurance policy doesn't have the mandatory 50k USD Covid component, which filled with with confidence heh.

4 hours ago, Bangkok_Gary said:

Anyone in Phuket: Do you have to wear a mask on the beach ? While swimming ?

I would imagine on the beach, Yes I've seen the police pulling people over riding their bikes with no mask

• Like 1