News Forum - Cost of PCR tests reduced by 200 baht at labs run by Department of Medical Sciences

Thaiger

The Department of Medical Sciences is cutting the cost of real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests by 200 baht. However, the reduction only applies to laboratories under the DMS. The price of PCR test kits remains unchanged. According to a Nation Thailand report, the fee is being reduced from 1,300 baht to 1,000 baht, in a bid to encourage more accurate testing as officials remain on alert for the arrival of the Omicron variant. The variant was first identified in South Africa last week, but little is currently known about the threat it might pose. The World Health Organisation has […]

The story Cost of PCR tests reduced by 200 baht at labs run by Department of Medical Sciences as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

12 minutes ago, JamesE said:

Let's see... ฿1,300 - ฿1,000 = ฿200... Do I have that right?

Looks like we're supposed to think so. It's that dreaded Maths again that spoils the day for these reporters, like yesterday when they reported a Cabinet decision to fund BKK public transport to the tune of 5 billion baht, split between the 2 authorities, for one to get 2.28 billion and the other to get 3.38 billion. Someone was going to end-up short-changed, but that's how these things are reported . . . just awful Maths!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Department of Medical Sciences is cutting the cost of real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests by 200 baht

Jesus are they feeling alright .. best sit down and fan them .. 

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

as officials remain on alert for the arrival of the Omicron variant

everyone needs a lert and Thailand has more than their fair share sometimes .. during my apprenticeship i used to work with precision measuring instruments like micrometers , verniers and such .. my mentor was called Ron so occasionally I'd have to say " pass the mic' Ron " .. 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, JamesE said:

Let's see... ฿1,300 - ฿1,000 = ฿200... Do I have that right?

According to the Nation (source):

"The Department of Medical Sciences has reduced the fee for real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) tests from THB1,300 to THB1,100".

Blame Google re-write ... 😂

• Haha 1

i had to do endoscopy and was slapped with the mandatory RT-PCR test for 4500 baht. so happy that future colonoscopy will be chapter. it would be too much to expect to be violated for free

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

i had to do endoscopy and was slapped with the mandatory RT-PCR test for 4500 baht. so happy that future colonoscopy will be chapter. it would be too much to expect to be violated for free

Best wishes for your test results if you've not already had them.

1 hour ago, Dedinbed said:

Jesus are they feeling alright .. best sit down and fan them .. 

everyone needs a lert and Thailand has more than their fair share sometimes .. during my apprenticeship i used to work with precision measuring instruments like micrometers , verniers and such .. my mentor was called Ron so occasionally I'd have to say " pass the mic' Ron " .. 

I once worked in a precision job and was sacked because I was 1 thou out, I think banks expect too much of their employees.

• Haha 3

Maybe to make more money they reduced the PCR cost by 200 Baht, but look to increase the number of mandatory tests in the near future with a potential rise of a new COVID19 variant?

34 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

Do you expect the doctor would do an endoscopy without knowing your covid status. Perhaps the RT PCR price was high but it was probably at a private hospital.  The price may be on the high end and other tests might be included. If you were in the US expect to pay more.

9 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Do you expect the doctor would do an endoscopy without knowing your covid status. Perhaps the RT PCR price was high but it was probably at a private hospital.  The price may be on the high end and other tests might be included. If you were in the US expect to pay more.

But this is a Thailand thread so the costs in the US, whatever they are, is completely irrelevant to this thread.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gummy said:

But this is a Thailand thread so the costs in the US, whatever they are, is completely irrelevant to this thread.

Sorry, the price for this type of testing isn't high. IMO 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

no, i don't but he didn't show me his PCR test, neither did any or the support staff

What a mess!!! I can understand charging foreigners higher fees for a PCR test...that's par for the course. I can only hope Thais get the test for free? 

8 hours ago, LoongFred said:

That is not even close to true

Most PCR tests are free in the US, unless you need a rapid PCR test

And even if you do need a rapid result, they are inline with the 4500 baht cost in Thailand

I got a free PCR test in Boston

Then needed a rapid PCR test in Chicago and got results in 3 hours and that was 6k baht

If could wait 24hrs it would be right around 4500 baht

20 hours ago, Jason said:

I can only hope Thais get the test for free? 

Only if they're told to or the hospital says they need to be tested, otherwise prices are the same for Thais or foreigners, either privately or at government testing stations or hospitals.

1 minute ago, Stonker said:

Only if they're told to or the hospital says they need to be tested, otherwise prices are the same for Thais or foreigners, either privately or at government testing stations or hospitals.

Beg to differ Stonker 4000 for me 3500 for the Thai wife at a government hospital. Not a huge difference but still not the same price.

15 minutes ago, Griff1315 said:

Beg to differ Stonker 4000 for me 3500 for the Thai wife at a government hospital. Not a huge difference but still not the same price.

In that case it must vary from one state hospital to another, which shouldn't really be a surprise - and compared to my local state hospital, you were both over-charged 😕!