News Forum - Bangkok is 4th best place to live in Southeast Asia, according to expat survey

Thaiger

3 hours ago, King Cotton said:

Not, unless you're a smartphone user, @JohninDubin . . . as I'm not and I don't think your 'Google them' suggestion is worth its few words . . . complete as they are.

My point was that language, acronyms and abbreviations are evolving faster than ever and many soon come into common usage.

I don't claim to have much more than rudimentary knowledge of these, but nobody else has criticised my use of these. And if you don't understand, and Google isn't an option, you can always ask the poster what it means, instead of pretending you live in a different world to the rest of us.

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

My point was that language, acronyms and abbreviations are evolving faster than ever and many soon come into common usage.

I don't claim to have much more than rudimentary knowledge of these, but nobody else has criticised my use of these. And if you don't understand, and Google isn't an option, you can always ask the poster what it means, instead of pretending you live in a different world to the rest of us.

My sincere apologies to @King Cottonfor the above post. I conflated my reply to @Rainpost with my reply to his post.

My final paragraph should have read, "I don't claim to have much more than rudimentary knowledge of these, but nobody else has criticised my use of these. And if you don't understand, and Google isn't an option, you can always ask the poster what it means, instead of HIM pretending HE lives in a different world to the rest of us.

However, I have since been advised that there is a rule about use of acronyms etc and I will do my best going forward, to comply.

• Cool 1

22 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

A couple of years, I saw one of these surveys which claimed that TH had the 6th best healthcare in the world. There were several criteria applied. I can remember all of them, but I do remember some such as Cleanliness, Infrastructre, Ease of access, Cost and competence of doctors.

They were awarded a maximum of 100 points in each category and the rankings were then based on the highest score. There were about 80 countries sampled. TH did well in all categories scoring 80+ in most of them, except for one: competence of doctors where they scored 15pts. 

My conclusion from this was that TH healthcare was excellent for a number of reasons, until they actually started to practice on you,

I wrote this from memory, and though it is not 100% accurate the thrust is generally correct. I looked for the original article to compare it with my memory: https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1746289/thailands-healthcare-ranked-sixth-best-in-the-world

Extract: Thailand received an overall score of 67.99 out of 100. Breaking down the figure into categories, the country was given a score of 92.58 for its healthcare infrastructure, 17.37 for professionals' competence, 96.22 for cost, 67.51 for medicine availability and 89.91 for government readiness. 

So what this survey really comes down to, is that if cost is important, TH does have excellent service, as long as you don't place too much reliance on TH doctors actually curing you.

I disagree. Thai doctors are first class and one doesn't have to deal with the slow service of socialized medicine. Many of the doctors, even in small provinces have received advanced training in the US, Australia or UK. 

10 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

I disagree. Thai doctors are first class and one doesn't have to deal with the slow service of socialized medicine. Many of the doctors, even in small provinces have received advanced training in the US, Australia or UK. 

Name them all then that have had training in those 3 countries or else your statement is an opinion rather than a factual statement. And by the way if 100 have had training elsewhere  that does not classify as "many" given the thousands of doctors in Thailand  having said that over the years I have seen a few Thai doctors that frankly make others with  certificates obtained overseas as somewhat less than professional.

13 minutes ago, LoongFred said:

Yo may well disagree, but the survey was carried out in nearly 90 countries, asking the locals what they thought of their own healthcare systems. 

So in effect, you are disagreeing with the Thais opinions on their local issue. 

Just now, JohninDubin said:

Yo may well disagree, but the survey was carried out in nearly 90 countries, asking the locals what they thought of their own healthcare systems. 

So in effect, you are disagreeing with the Thais opinions on their local issue. 

Of course you are spot in with your reply but remember, you can't fix ignorance when it comes to Thai facts just like there is no known cure for pomposity for some people.

9 minutes ago, Rain said:

Developed?

In what sense developed?

Medical facilities, public transportation, schools

When they make these lists, they factor all these things into it, usually

On 12/3/2021 at 6:25 PM, gummy said:

Name them all then that have had training in those 3 countries or else your statement is an opinion rather than a factual statement. And by the way if 100 have had training elsewhere  that does not classify as "many" given the thousands of doctors in Thailand  having said that over the years I have seen a few Thai doctors that frankly make others with  certificates obtained overseas as somewhat less than professional.

Well wait until you have an accident or get ill. You can tell the doctor you don’t need them and you want to go home. Of course the doctor at home will be a foreigner and you will probably have to wait for service. Even on the provincial level the doctors seem very compedent. I have over 40 years experience in hospital medicine from the US and most authorities rate US healthcare at or near the top.