News Forum - Women’s Tennis Association shelves all tournaments in China amid Peng concerns

Thaiger

The Women’s Tennis Association has suspended all tournaments in China amid concerns for the welfare of Chinese player, Peng Shuai. According to an AFP report, Steve Simon from the WTA says the tournaments, including those planned for Hong Kong, cannot go ahead while Peng is unable to speak freely. The Winter Olympics are due to take place in Beijing in February. “In good conscience, I don’t see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault.” Peng disappeared for […]

The story Women’s Tennis Association shelves all tournaments in China amid Peng concerns as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Simon has welcomed the support of the European Union, the United Nations, the US, and the UK, all of whom have called on the Chinese government for more proof that Peng is not being censored or intimidated. Meanwhile, according to the AFP report, the International Tennis Federation says it understands why the WTA had to take the stance it has.

“The WTA has stood firm and true to its values from the start and we understand their decision. We will continue to closely monitor the situation.”"

I find this story utterly fascinating.

China, no matter what you think of it, has in recent times stood up to pretty much everyone on the planet and held their own; the US, the EU, the UN, the World Bank, ASEAN, the WTO, the World Court, NATO, and more. It has become a very influential player on the world's stage. It has built a global economy. It has barged its way into world affairs, and often on its own terms. And, it has generally been successful in attaining its goals.

Yet, it does not know how to deal with the WTA, is losing a lot of 'Face' by the day, and there is no end in sight except capitulation. It is a battle that they cannot win; in the 21st century, there is no way that a bully can publicly rebuff a serious allegation from the Women's Tennis Association about sexual misconduct/abuse*. It can't be done; this will haunt them until they give in. Until this is solved, it'll be mentioned everywhere, every time there is a tennis match globally it'll be brought up, and the story will never ever go away. To coin a phrase, it'll be the proverbial "Chinese Water Torture'.

Is this the truly modern David VS Goliath?

China will have to capitulate, let Peng out of China to make a statement, and hope to hell that she gives the Chinese leadership a break. And, that senior retired Leader is going to have to pay a price.

Mr Xi, you are currently the SECOND most powerful person in China.

Good on you, WTA.

Fascinating!

* Someone is bound to mention Trump. Okay, he got away with it, but he is a sociopath and China does have some humanity.

• Like 3

Good on you WTA. Why take a stance against social bias and matters of sexual abuse yet give China a pass.

China controls its own closed door policy incidents but often forgets that it is part of the world and the WTA is global.

Banning tournaments will truly hurt China and give many others opportunities such as Guadalajara hosting the world tour finals this year instead of China. Mexico was wrapped about it.

Time to stand up to the bully and give it some back. 

• Like 3

The whole world should follow this lead and start by boycotting the 2022 winter Olympics. Stop condoning the evil CCP and tell them the world has had enough of their lies and threats...

• Like 4

Wow, although I do pay attention to tennis tournaments and the winners, I might just start watching more women's tennis now. I would be laughing so hard if the world decided to ban the CCP Olympics on many principles of their bad behavior, but on the other hand it is not fair for the athletes, so that is a little extreme. Leaves me torn as it is a damned if you do and a damned if you don't situation and the only one's who get punished are the athletes themselves.. 

• Like 2

For years the world has failed to stand up to the dictatorship called China; the politicians are all too scared (or in their pay packet); the UN won't touch them and we all watch on as first Hong Kong, then Taiwan become second rate Chinese provinces. So, well done you WTA, a great decision.

• Like 2