News Forum - TAT predicts 500,000 travellers before 2022, 133,000 arrived so far

Thaiger

18 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Thailand should count the tourist visas - not the arrivals - how about that then??  So many other ways too - but for once I agree with Poolie - whatever.

Seems like a sensible solution. I wasn't justifying TH's methods. Just explaining why it would be convenient to them.

Regarding your agreeing with Poolie, was that painful for you? (hahaha)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Somchai said:

500 000 arrivals in 2021 is exactly 1.2% of the 40 million arrivals in 2019.

Sorry to nit-pick, but actually it's 1.25% 😇.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Again, too much uncertainty.  One day the Bangkok Post says there will be no lockdown or border closure due to Omicron.  The next day, they run an article saying the PM is debating whether there will be another lockdown.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

That figure does seem feasible providing there are no restrictions placed on them returning to their own countries for (eg) Omicron variant. The problem has been for many avoiding rigid quarantine in TH, and then again on their return.

How does 3x more tourists in December compared to November seem feasible to you?!

TH only got those 130K because too many came thinking that bars were opening up at the beginning of Dec.

No-one is going to come now with the expectation of a Christmas/New Years reopening!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BangkokBen said:

Again, too much uncertainty.  One day the Bangkok Post says there will be no lockdown or border closure due to Omicron.  The next day, they run an article saying the PM is debating whether there will be another lockdown.

In fairness to the PM it is the virus driving the decisions rather than him.  His decisions are advised by scientists and doctors and I think they have done a reasonably good job.

Please do not interpret that as me being a fanboy of a military general forced upon the electorate as I am not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UncleFatBloke said:

How does 3x more tourists in December compared to November seem feasible to you?!

TH only got those 130K because too many came thinking that bars were opening up at the beginning of Dec.

No-one is going to come now with the expectation of a Christmas/New Years reopening!

To begin with, for the drinkers that bars are open in Phuket though with restrictions. Then there are those who have little or no interest in the bars being opened. Then there are those people who have been sitting at home for the best part of two years, facing a cold winter. And most importantly, if you are in Europe, the chances are that you have about two weeks holiday coming up in December. Whereas in November, holidays especially if you had school age children, were near impossible. 

In summary, the circumstances are far more amenable for Dec than Nov. But as I said earlier, I could be wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

... and Sinopharm's supposed to be around 50% better than Sinovac ...

My friend whom actually is in-to mRNA (DNA and what not) said the Sinopharm is by far the worst vector out there (If it came down to me receiving Sinovac or Sinopharm, he said that I should beg for Sinovac). He put it on the same scale as Sputnik with also little to none test results being published.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shark said:

My friend whom actually is in-to mRNA (DNA and what not) said the Sinopharm is by far the worst vector out there (If it came down to me receiving Sinovac or Sinopharm, he said that I should beg for Sinovac). He put it on the same scale as Sputnik with also little to none test results being published.

It's a bit like choosing between whose poop you prefer - a Setter's or a Spaniel's.

Realistically anyone vaccinated with Sino-anything needs to start again from scratch, which puts Thailand a long way behind the ball when it comes to being ready to open.  Songkran looks like the earliest, and the sooner that's accepted the better for everyone.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Changnam43 said:

In fairness to the PM it is the virus driving the decisions rather than him.  His decisions are advised by scientists and doctors and I think they have done a reasonably good job.

Please do not interpret that as me being a fanboy of a military general forced upon the electorate as I am not. 

Objectivity - now you've done it 😕.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Stonker said:

It's a bit like choosing between whose poop you prefer - a Setter's or a Spaniel's.

Realistically anyone vaccinated with Sino-anything needs to start again from scratch, which puts Thailand a long way behind the ball when it comes to being ready to open.  Songkran looks like the earliest, and the sooner that's accepted the better for everyone.

Weirdly Canada just accepted the Sino's starting yesterday...............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Once the WHO accepted them, it's difficult politically for other countries not to - the reality's obvious, though, but it's still disappointing that countries put politics and economics first.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Stonker said:

Once the WHO accepted them, it's difficult politically for other countries not to - the reality's obvious, though, but it's still disappointing that countries put politics and economics first.

Yeah I guess you are right 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

This could be a good move by Canada as it just may be that the latest covid variant is very well handled by sinovac.  

16 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

This could be a good move by Canada as it just may be that the latest covid variant is very well handled by sinovac.  

Made my wife happy 

Her mom has the Sino vaccine 

• Haha 1