News Forum - Former Deputy PM Suthep indicted over construction contracts

Thaiger

The National Anti-Corruption Commission has filed an indictment against former Deputy Prime Minister and protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban accusing him of irregularities in police constructions contracts. The charges were filed yesterday in the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders and are regarding projects to build police stations and housing over 10 years ago. Suthep who has been jailed previously for 4 days when PM Prayut Chan-o-cha rose to power and detained opposing political leaders, as well as a brief day or two in jail as part of a 7-year prison sentence he was bailed out of in February […]

The story Former Deputy PM Suthep indicted over construction contracts as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I think that there are two different ways to look at this story.

It could be a story where the Thai Justice system finally does the right thing and prosecutes a vile criminal, sentencing him to an appropriate time in jail (hint; LIFE!). It would be a shining example of the glorious and unbiased Thai Justice System where rich and poor, connected and unconnected, light-skinned or dark-skinned are treated equally and fairly in the eyes of the law.

Sometimes I write the strangest things. 🤣🤣

This, occurring now, is almost certainly a play to 'clear the decks' for the PPRP in the next election. Suthep, despite being loathed by all right-thinking people, has/had a powerbase in Surattani through the ACT party which (correct me if I am wrong) holds six seats in parliament. Put Suthep under indictment and it is a clear 'shot across the bow' to all other party members to get out of the way or be crushed. Further, it would likely free up potentially six seats for the PPRP which, in a close election, could be vital or even game-changing. Finally, even if it doesn't lead to a sweep of the seats by the PPRP, it'll depress the ACT vote and cause less vote-splitting thus enhancing opportunities for PPRP candidates in the upper South.

The real interesting thing to watch for over the next... 3-4 months is whether or not the Thai Justice System goes after the Democrat (sic) Party. The question will revolve around whether or not they view the Democrats (sic) as a viable party which they need, or whether they decide that the Democrat (sic) brand is now so tarnished/damaged/tainted that it is better to wipe it out, build on the PPRP powerbase in the South, and then contest Bangkok, the North and North East. My hunch is that they will try to destroy the Democrats (sic); what argument could the Democrats  (sic) use to be re-elected with greater numbers? What have they done under Prayut to justify their existence? Would even the most die-hard supporters believe that they were going to 'Restore Democracy'?

I must confess, even if Suthep is being harassed legally to satisfy PPRP candidates, I don't care. Anything that causes harm to that Scaly Loathsomely Lizard is a good thing in my book, and I hope he gets his ass slithered into jail where other inmates... er... slither into him at their heart's content.

• Like 1

"The NACC has spent the last 2 years poring over evidence, documents and meeting minutes to compile the case"

Or maybe just to see if any inducements would come to pass in their decision making process

The demagogue rabble rouser who organized street protests aimed at ousting the democratically elected government led by Yingluck Shinawatra is corrupt. I'm shocked I tell you. Shocked.