News Forum - More venues in Thailand require proof of vaccination, or ATK test, at the door

Thaiger

Thailand’s future looks… vaccinated. More and more venues and events are embracing the government’s “Covid Free Setting” guidelines which call for not only staff, but customers to be fully vaccinated, or test negative for the virus, to be considered a “Covid free” area. Bangkok’s Khao San Road was blocked off the other weekend with bouncers checking documents and digital vaccination records while health staff wearing personal protective gear were onsite sticking swabs up unvaccinated partygoers’ noses for a rapid Covid test. (We haven’t heard what happens if someone tests positive, but an ambulance was parked at the entrance.) Other venues, […]

The story More venues in Thailand require proof of vaccination, or ATK test, at the door as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

42 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Some cleaning services in Bangkok allow clients to request a housekeeper who is vaccinated.

I thought the housekeepers always used Domestos - it kills 99% of household germs.

• Haha 4

In other countries there are huge demonstrations and legal pushbacks against this madness.

Who in his right mind would like to be brain-swabbed every day, or alternatively being digitally tracked by QR-Codes after being coerced to be injected with a vaccine every 6 months?

Well, seems like the Thais want to do it. The resistance here is very small. In Bangkok there will be a demonstration on 4th of December, I guess not more than a few hundreds will be there, if at all. In the group where it is being organized people are just saying „Good luck, I have no time, I will sit here and pray“

Meanwhile in countries like Australia, Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany, Costa Rica, Jamaica and so on and so on, heck even in Japan, there are huge pushbacks.

I always thought Thailand would be the land of the free. I am disappointed.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

The problem is that there's no reason to think the " 'Covid free settings' " will be Covid free settings, so allowing people to unmask in the area will just allow the virus to spread more quickly, as many other countries have found.

Learning to live with it doesn't (or shouldn't) mean ignoring it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

staff wearing personal protective gear were onsite sticking swabs up unvaccinated partygoers’ noses for a rapid Covid test.

Makes a change from party goers shoving something else up their hooters .. 

with bouncers checking documents and digital vaccination records

really .. I'd love to see them decipher doc's written in Welsh .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

which call for not only staff, but customers to be fully vaccinated, or test negative for the virus, to be considered a “Covid free” area

OK, but keep in mind that any business that does this will never receive another baht from me. Ask me for medical papers or try to test me, and I'll turn around and patronize your competitors. I am not alone in this attitude.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

OK, but keep in mind that any business that does this will never receive another baht from me. Ask me for medical papers or try to test me, and I'll turn around and patronize your competitors. I am not alone in this attitude.

That'll show 'em!

• Haha 4

32 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

It is pure speculation on my part, but I'd wager my left arm that if you want to have a long-stay visa (Marriage, Retirement, Work, Education, PR, Etc.) next year, you'll need to show proof of vaccination to Thai Immigration.

If you think that you can stay/live in Thailand with that attitude, all I can say is don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Bon Voyage!

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Sadly I think in Thailand you are.

Here 99% of people are complying. They even like it. We will head of to other countries where there is at least some resistance.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

And if the competitors have the same requirement? 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rookiescot said:

And if the competitors have the same requirement? 

I hoped it was obvious I meant that I will not patronize businesses that have that requirement, and that I will patronize businesses that do not have that requirement. And no, the lady selling her own chickens' eggs at the market is not going to ask to see my vax pass. May she prosper by not supporting totalitarians.

• Like 2

Just now, brian60221 said:

I hoped it was obvious I meant that I will not patronize businesses that have that requirement, and that I will patronize businesses that do not have that requirement. And no, the lady selling her own chickens' eggs at the market is not going to ask to see my vax pass. May she prosper by not supporting totalitarians.

Ah so your solution to being unable to go into a restaurant is to buy eggs from a street vendor and make your own omelet.

Thats cunning mate, well played.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, HighSo said:

In other countries there are huge demonstrations and legal pushbacks against this madness.

You talk about madness, but there is an existing precedent for this that operates in many countries throughout the planet: smoking bans.

One of the reasons for their introduction was the known risk of "passive smoking". If you get Lung Cancer via this route, it takes 20-40 years to show up. If you spend 5 minutes in the company of someone with CV, you can be dead in a matter of days. So if we segregate people whose behaviour might kill us in 20+ years, it seems obvious to me, that we must separate out those whose behaviour might kill us next week.

I do wonder how many non-smoking anti-vaxxers there are that approve segregating smokers, but consider being refused service because they are not vaxxed, a breach of their civil liberties. I have often noticed that those who scream loudest about their "freedumb", are often those who fail to recognise the freedom others when they impinge on it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Ah so your solution to being unable to go into a restaurant is to buy eggs from a street vendor and make your own omelet.

I'm not going to jackhammer my point of view through your thick skull, but I'll try to put it in simple terms one more time. If people ask me for medical papers, I'm not going to give them money. If they mind their own business and respect my privacy, I will do business with them. Helping support medical apartheid tyranny is going to cost anyone who does it. That's a fact. Now, if you still don't understand, just wait a while and see if you get any epiphanies.

• Like 1

Just now, brian60221 said:

I'm not going to jackhammer my point of view through your thick skull, but I'll try to put it in simple terms one more time. If people ask me for medical papers, I'm not going to give them money. If they mind their own business and respect my privacy, I will do business with them. Helping support medical apartheid tyranny is going to cost anyone who does it. That's a fact. Now, if you still don't understand, just wait a while and see if you get any epiphanies.

Im sure society will manage without your patronage. 

Your options will of course be limited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HighSo said:

Who in his right mind would like to be brain-swabbed every day, or alternatively being digitally tracked by QR-Codes after being coerced to be injected with a vaccine every 6 months?

Well, seems like the Thais want to do it. The resistance here is very small. In Bangkok there will be a demonstration on 4th of December, I guess not more than a few hundreds will be there, if at all. In the group where it is being organized people are just saying „Good luck, I have no time, I will sit here and pray“

Meanwhile in countries like Australia, Italy, Spain, Austria, Germany, Costa Rica, Jamaica and so on and so on, heck even in Japan, there are huge pushbacks.

I always thought Thailand would be the land of the free. I am disappointed.

In my country people need to be vaccinated to enter the workplace, and government building, transport interchange, restaurant, coffee shop, shopping mall, business etc etc. Pretty much anywhere in fact. All checked at the door in 2 seconds. Been like this since for six months now. 

And you know what. It's worked. Cases are under 50 a day, and an average death of 1 a day. 

Maybe there are other reasons, maybe not. But we're happy enjoying a normal life. No mask outside, but still inside. That's about it. 

Due for my booster next month and I'm only in my 40s. 

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

The problem is that there's no reason to think the " 'Covid free settings' " will be Covid free settings, so allowing people to unmask in the area will just allow the virus to spread more quickly, as many other countries have found.

Learning to live with it doesn't (or shouldn't) mean ignoring it.

Masks have not been mandatory outside where I am for a long time and there has been no uptick in cases. 

54 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Okay. What a shame. Guess you won't be using one of those businesses called airlines any time soon then ...😆😆😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Your options will of course be limited.

Of course they will. But not as significantly as people who are on the hook to take any number of injections just to enjoy what we used to consider basic freedoms.

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

Ahh! I get you now.

You are going to rely on Thai Immigration's world famous customer service and desire to go out of their way to please foreigners who want to live in their country.

As above...

Bon Voyage!

PS You are adorable!

Edited by Shade_Wilder
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

I don't suppose it has occurred to you, that most of the competitors will be doing exactly the same.

Think about it. You own a biz where you can deal with 30% of the customer base, or 70% (and rising). How many businesses do you think will be cater to the "rebels". And as more and more businesses opt for the larger market share that is available to them, it is you that is most likely to be impacted by this. If you are true to your word, most businesses will not be too concerned about the loss of your single baht, but you may start to encounter difficulties trying to find someone who wants your largesse. 

When I see statements like yours, I do wonder how well thought through these are?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brian60221 said:

Of course they will. But not as significantly as people who are on the hook to take any number of injections just to enjoy what we used to consider basic freedoms.

In what way do you think people who are vaccinated are on the hook?

Just now, JohninDubin said:

When I see statements like yours, I do wonder how well thought through these are?

How well have you thought through the implications of being required to take any number of injections of any substance in order to be considered a member of society in good standing?

• Like 2

Just now, Rookiescot said:

In what way do you think people who are vaccinated are on the hook?

Suppose you have to show a vax pass at every entranceway. Then, the government announces that there's another vaccine in the works, and everyone who doesn't take it will be considered unvaccinated?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, brian60221 said:

So how are vaccinated people's options limited exactly?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1