News Forum - Foreigner claims Bangkok taxi pocketed 1,000 baht for ride down Sukhumvit

Thaiger

4 hours ago, JoeUpinBuriram said:

Best to check your change at a bus station when buying bus tickets. Clerks can make mistakes over the size of the currency, but you have the option to hold the bill for an extra second so the camera can see the bill should a dispute arise. Many cash registers have a camera focused on the till. 

easier to  just say pan  nung  when handing over

6 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

remember me and a friend went to Nana long time ago and went into a dark place and just had a beer or 2 and my friend said were going to next place, ok i said and gave the lady a 1000 baht bill and she came back in a minute and said it's not enough and showed up a 100 baht bill ;)

so i was thinking either pay again or be beaten up in the alley by the guys working there  ,so i paid again ,hahaaaaa

never went there again ;)

Unfortunate that it happened to you, my friend. I’ve heard about the old 1000 baht note tricks but never fallen victim to any of them myself. In principle, I never carry them. 7-11 is your best pal in this regard. 

• Like 3

I took a taxi in Hanoi

I could see the metre jumping as we drove

I was staying at the Metropole Hotel.

I didn't say a word, when we got to the hotel the metre said around $50usd

I gave him around $4usd and told him to beat it, got out of the taxi and told the hotel guys in front and they booted him

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Slacker77 said:

remember me and a friend went to Nana long time ago and went into a dark place and just had a beer or 2 and my friend said were going to next place, ok i said and gave the lady a 1000 baht bill and she came back in a minute and said it's not enough and showed up a 100 baht bill ;)

so i was thinking either pay again or be beaten up in the alley by the guys working there  ,so i paid again ,hahaaaaa

never went there again ;)

Best to break 1000 baht notes before you enter such area's,this sort of thing is still common.go to the hotel reception and break 1000's into 100's before you head out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Step502 said:

Nothing to see here… Move along lol

Agreed - I just can't see it.

The taxi driver puts all his cash on the seat and opens the centre box - no 1,000 baht note.

The Thai woman doesn't know as she hasn't seen it, and the farang says "forget it".

Who knows?

What's to see?

2 hours ago, BigHewer said:

7-11 is your best pal in this regard. 

And the BTS/MRT ticket offices. They love to get rid of smalls so they don't have so many to count at the end of the shift.

• Like 3

Same thing happen to me in September 2018 . Picked taxi from International airport to Siam hotel near MBK . Same story . Meter not work and he showed prices on mobile phone , indicating 1000 baht . Have been to Thailand many times and would have given the driver 500 normally ( tip included ) . It leaves a bitter and sour taste in one’s mouth . Will be using the rail network as often as I can . Unfortunately taxi drivers don’t understand that short term gain will be Long term pain . 
thanks 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, messinian68 said:

Same thing happen to me in September 2018 . Picked taxi from International airport to Siam hotel near MBK . Same story . Meter not work and he showed prices on mobile phone , indicating 1000 baht . Have been to Thailand many times and would have given the driver 500 normally ( tip included ) . It leaves a bitter and sour taste in one’s mouth . Will be using the rail network as often as I can . Unfortunately taxi drivers don’t understand that short term gain will be Long term pain . 
thanks 

I will just grab

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I took a taxi in Hanoi

I could see the metre jumping as we drove

I was staying at the Metropole Hotel.

I didn't say a word, when we got to the hotel the metre said around $50usd

I gave him around $4usd and told him to beat it, got out of the taxi and told the hotel guys in front and they booted him

Wow, I had my worse experience about 15 years ago in Hanoi as well, when landing at the airport. Well dressed, fairly good english speaking fellow inside the airport asked if I needed a taxi. He looked and acted very legit, so I accepted. Took me outside to a cab that already had a driver inside. Threw my bags in, then told me to wait. He took off and returned a minute later with a friend. They both hopped in the cab. I told him to get out, but he said something to the cabbie in Vietnamese and he started driving. He explained they just wanted a ride in the direction I was going. As we got close to the toll gate just outside of the airport they demanded $13.00USD for the toll fee. (at the time should have been maybe $1.00) I argued and said that was way to much, but he said that was the "Hanoi" prices. Stuck in a cab with 3 Vietnamese I was in no position to argue, so I just paid it. Just after going through the toll, the cab stopped and these 2 got out and started running. Guessing they were going back to the airport for their next run.

In all my travels, Vietnam has to be the worse for getting ripped off by taxi drivers

44 minutes ago, Wasminbe said:

Wow, I had my worse experience about 15 years ago in Hanoi as well, when landing at the airport. Well dressed, fairly good english speaking fellow inside the airport asked if I needed a taxi. He looked and acted very legit, so I accepted. Took me outside to a cab that already had a driver inside. Threw my bags in, then told me to wait. He took off and returned a minute later with a friend. They both hopped in the cab. I told him to get out, but he said something to the cabbie in Vietnamese and he started driving. He explained they just wanted a ride in the direction I was going. As we got close to the toll gate just outside of the airport they demanded $13.00USD for the toll fee. (at the time should have been maybe $1.00) I argued and said that was way to much, but he said that was the "Hanoi" prices. Stuck in a cab with 3 Vietnamese I was in no position to argue, so I just paid it. Just after going through the toll, the cab stopped and these 2 got out and started running. Guessing they were going back to the airport for their next run.

In all my travels, Vietnam has to be the worse for getting ripped off by taxi drivers

I've been scammed a few times in different countries 

I'm as hothead as they come

But I've never really challenged it too much 

Like you, I questioned it but paid 

Not worth getting in some serious shit over a bit of money 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wasminbe said:

Worst place I ever found for being ripped off by cabbies was Cairo. It also has the distinction of having the worst cabs I ever travelled in. General rule of thumb was whatever they charged you, you paid half. Most of the cabs were Lada's. If anyone knows anything about this illustrious model, it was a copy of a 1950's Fiat 124. Most car had no window winders attached. If you wanted to wind down the window, you told the driver and he would hand you a winder, because it was quite common for passengers who needed a winder, to unscrew them and steal them. 

This was in 2005, My sister and I were met at the airport by my bro, who we were visiting, and immediately touted by someone who claimed to drive a limousine. I recall my bro asking, "Are you sure it's a limousine"? and tout said, "If it isn't, you don't have to pay me". Turned out that it was a battered Nissan, but it had A/C. I asked my bro if we were going to pay the driver, and he said "Yes". Apparently, In Cairo any car with A/C touting at the airport, was classed as a limo.

All were fitted with a mechanical Star Meter (Made in India) which had been obsolete since the 1950's, and were never used because they had not been calibrated since the day they were fitted. They were just taken from cab to cab. Being a cabbie myself at that time, I was interested to see all this. I asked one driver why nobody ever used a meter, expecting to hear some justification for cheating tourists. He explained that the meters rarely worked, and his meter ran backwards. I told him to switch it on, and he could pay me whaen I got out of the cab. He didn't understand the joke.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Worst place I ever found for being ripped off by cabbies was Cairo. It also has the distinction of having the worst cabs I ever travelled in. General rule of thumb was whatever they charged you, you paid half. Most of the cabs were Lada's. If anyone knows anything about this illustrious model, it was a copy of a 1950's Fiat 124. Most car had no window winders attached. If you wanted to wind down the window, you told the driver and he would hand you a winder, because it was quite common for passengers who needed a winder, to unscrew them and steal them. 

This was in 2005, My sister and I were met at the airport by my bro, who we were visiting, and immediately touted by someone who claimed to drive a limousine. I recall my bro asking, "Are you sure it's a limousine"? and tout said, "If it isn't, you don't have to pay me". Turned out that it was a battered Nissan, but it had A/C. I asked my bro if we were going to pay the driver, and he said "Yes". Apparently, In Cairo any car with A/C touting at the airport, was classed as a limo.

All were fitted with a mechanical Star Meter (Made in India) which had been obsolete since the 1950's, and were never used because they had not been calibrated since the day they were fitted. They were just taken from cab to cab. Being a cabbie myself at that time, I was interested to see all this. I asked one driver why nobody ever used a meter, expecting to hear some justification for cheating tourists. He explained that the meters rarely worked, and his meter ran backwards. I told him to switch it on, and he could pay me whaen I got out of the cab. He didn't understand the joke.

In Cairo (been twice) I learnt very quickly to barter down an agreed price. When in transit I count out the gypo pound notes and once arriving at the destination I throw the fare onto the front passenger seat. Then walk away. In Egypt don't talk to anybody period. Just see the sights (or simply transit to Luxor/Aswan etc) the depart. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

In Egypt don't talk to anybody period.

fair advise - you might get sold for a camel or somebody sells you a camel for your girlfriend/wife.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Worst place I ever found for being ripped off by cabbies was Cairo.

3 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

In Cairo (been twice)

Had the same in Tangier's .. then when I wasn't having none of it he wanted to know if I wanted to buy some hash .. after declining that he then wanted to borrow my latest fashion teeshirt for his mate in the knock off shop to run up a copy ..  he'd buy me a mint tea in return if agreed .. I made my excuses and left on foot .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Dedinbed said:

Had the same in Tangier's .. then when I wasn't having none of it he wanted to know if I wanted to buy some hash .. after declining that he then wanted to borrow my latest fashion teeshirt for his mate in the knock off shop to run up a copy ..  he'd buy me a mint tea in return if agreed .. I made my excuses and left on foot .. 

Don't tell me he had your shoes too! 🤯

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

In Cairo (been twice) I learnt very quickly to barter down an agreed price. When in transit I count out the gypo pound notes and once arriving at the destination I throw the fare onto the front passenger seat. Then walk away. In Egypt don't talk to anybody period. Just see the sights (or simply transit to Luxor/Aswan etc) the depart. 

Another place where not talking to "helpful strangers" is good advice, is Poland. 

One of the scams there is someone recognising you as a tourist, will ask where you are from, and if you say England, they will tell you that they have a sister in England, and they want to send her some money. That should tell you almost immediately that it's a scam because remittances between Poland and UK are almost always in the opposite direction. Anyway, they off you say 7 Zlotys for a £ whereas the exchange shops are only offering 6.

On the face of it a bargain. When you are approached, you might be standing yards away from an exchange, and can see how stupid this man must be to be offering you 7, when he only has to walk a few yards and buy for 6. You decide to take advantage of his stupidity, and he gives you a 500 ZL note. You give him £70 and start counting out your profit of about 17%. Then when you go to use the note, you are told that not only is the note defunct, but it was part of a currency which had suffered so much inflation at one time, that they took 3 zeroes off of it overnight.

The lesson to be learned here, is always beware helpful strangers on your travels, especially if they come from a country that is a lot poorer than yours.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Another place where not talking to "helpful strangers" is good advice, is Poland. 

One of the scams there is someone recognising you as a tourist, will ask where you are from, and if you say England, they will tell you that they have a sister in England, and they want to send her some money. That should tell you almost immediately that it's a scam because remittances between Poland and UK are almost always in the opposite direction. Anyway, they off you say 7 Zlotys for a £ whereas the exchange shops are only offering 6.

On the face of it a bargain. When you are approached, you might be standing yards away from an exchange, and can see how stupid this man must be to be offering you 7, when he only has to walk a few yards and buy for 6. You decide to take advantage of his stupidity, and he gives you a 500 ZL note. You give him £70 and start counting out your profit of about 17%. Then when you go to use the note, you are told that not only is the note defunct, but it was part of a currency which had suffered so much inflation at one time, that they took 3 zeroes off of it overnight.

The lesson to be learned here, is always beware helpful strangers on your travels, especially if they come from a country that is a lot poorer than yours.

I've not been to Eastern Europe apart from Prague (classic city) but I imagine that Grab taxi would would wonders in places such as Poland. Sounds like yet another "beware of" places in our wonderful world of international jet setting.

Back to topic but my rules for Bangkok are simple. Namely have change ready, make sure they turn on the meter or if a taxi kiosk such as the airport keep the receipt. 

I don't know how reporting naughty taxis works now, but 10 years ago it was the taxi owner (not the driver) that faced the music. The driver simply switched locations/companies.

1 minute ago, mickkotlarski said:

I've not been to Eastern Europe apart from Prague (classic city) but I imagine that Grab taxi would would wonders in places such as Poland. Sounds like yet another "beware of" places in our wonderful world of international jet setting.

Back to topic but my rules for Bangkok are simple. Namely have change ready, make sure they turn on the meter or if a taxi kiosk such as the airport keep the receipt. 

I don't know how reporting naughty taxis works now, but 10 years ago it was the taxi owner (not the driver) that faced the music. The driver simply switched locations/companies.

In my time as a cabbie, protocol was if there was a complaint against a driver, it was referred to the owner, who then had to identify the driver, who might be a "jockey". Once the driver was identified, if they were found to be in the wrong, they could have their cab driver's licence revoked. No chance of shifting the problem to somewhere else.

However, I recall reading a story about a BKK cabbie who had raped a passenger, and though he carried on working for the same cab office, it took the police 3 years to start looking for him. Taxi and driver licensing in most jurisdictions is about consumer protection. It if took them three years to even start looking for a rapist, what chance is there of them even considering the case of this topic?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

In my time as a cabbie, protocol was if there was a complaint against a driver, it was referred to the owner, who then had to identify the driver, who might be a "jockey". Once the driver was identified, if they were found to be in the wrong, they could have their cab driver's licence revoked. No chance of shifting the problem to somewhere else.

However, I recall reading a story about a BKK cabbie who had raped a passenger, and though he carried on working for the same cab office, it took the police 3 years to start looking for him. Taxi and driver licensing in most jurisdictions is about consumer protection. It if took them three years to even start looking for a rapist, what chance is there of them even considering the case of this topic?

Somewhere between sweet FA and buckleys.

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2021 at 5:32 PM, HiuMak said:

How about Rule 5: show comparison of grab car price to taxi and maybe topup a little. Else I just walk to the next taxi

i use the MRT-BTS....ive used a taxi and tuk tuk 1x each in 12 yrs here--I learned my lesson early..and have my own mbike and bicycle up north

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

i use the MRT-BTS....ive used a taxi and tuk tuk 1x each in 12 yrs here--I learned my lesson early..and have my own mbike and bicycle up north

What is wrong with BKK taxis?

They are cheap as hell, clean, awesome AC and the majority of drivers are very nice.

90% of the time they turn on the metre before you have to ask and if they don't.................there is always another taxi right behind it that will

That being said, I am a big fan of the BTS

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 11:40 PM, Rain said:

Naive is as naive does.....

Yep totally agree.  But hey we've all been 'newbies' at one time or another.  That's of course accepting the fact the Farang wasn't a permanent retard.  Plenty of those around.  Maybe more research should have been done to discover the Stupid Vaccine before rolling out the Covid19 one.

On 11/30/2021 at 2:27 PM, riclag said:

Taxi drivers are a curse for us  khee niaow falangs! I don’t know what it is with my perception of them,especially the ones who don’t put the meter on !

Them ,cops , car repair guys ,car salesmen  and not necessarily in that order 

I’ve actually found car salesman in Thailand to be lovely, with set prices on new cars it takes the frustration out of buying. 
The sales girl who sold me my last car has been wonderful, her after sales service has been amazing. 

• Like 1