News Forum - Foreigner claims Bangkok taxi pocketed 1,000 baht for ride down Sukhumvit

Thaiger

A foreigner in Bangkok claims he was ripped off by a taxi driver who drove him from Thong Lor to Sukhumvit Soi 11, saying the driver didn’t use a meter and pocketed 1,000 baht. Apparently, the driver claimed the passenger had handed him 100 baht. A Thai woman posted a video of the confrontation with the taxi driver on TikTok saying the driver did not turn on the meter and took 1,000 baht from a foreign passenger for a trip down Sukhumvit Road. The video was shared on Thai media and drew hundreds of comments. @tobee478 จาก ทองหล่อ 40 มาสุขุมวิท11 […]

The story Foreigner claims Bangkok taxi pocketed 1,000 baht for ride down Sukhumvit as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Normally that is done in the night time and one needs to be more aware that those taxi drivers are nefarious and probably is not the one who has the lease of the taxi but a fill in.

• Like 3

Most likely just another dishonest taxi driver keeping up the taxi code of getting one over paying passengers (particularly foreigners). It could also be a mistaken expat. 

Either way the few times I take taxi's particularly in Bangkok I have the correct amount available beforehand.

First the buggers rarely have enough small notes for change and secondly even when they do they have a god given right to keep it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Tricking those who are unaware, I think. Can't imagine any foreigner living in Thailand would be caught by that one. It does show how important it is to have a clear idea of what the Thai Baht is worth in your own currency.

• Like 1

Taxi drivers are a curse for us  khee niaow falangs! I don’t know what it is with my perception of them,especially the ones who don’t put the meter on !

Them ,cops , car repair guys ,car salesmen  and not necessarily in that order 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Most likely just another dishonest taxi driver keeping up the taxi code of getting one over paying passengers (particularly foreigners). It could also be a mistaken expat. 

Either way the few times I take taxi's particularly in Bangkok I have the correct amount available beforehand.

First the buggers rarely have enough small notes for change and secondly even when they do they have a god given right to keep it.

Happens in many countries, it's rare here, most are quite good and honest people.   Its simple, no meter...get out.

• Like 7

Best to check your change at a bus station when buying bus tickets. Clerks can make mistakes over the size of the currency, but you have the option to hold the bill for an extra second so the camera can see the bill should a dispute arise. Many cash registers have a camera focused on the till. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, JoeUpinBuriram said:

Best to check your change at a bus station when buying bus tickets. Clerks can make mistakes over the size of the currency, but you have the option to hold the bill for an extra second so the camera can see the bill should a dispute arise. Many cash registers have a camera focused on the till. 

To be honest, I’ve been given too much change more often than I’ve been short changed. Especially if the clerks don’t have a calculator or cash register. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

To be honest, I’ve been given too much change more often than I’ve been short changed. Especially if the clerks don’t have a calculator or cash register. 

Yes, the decade or more Maths deficiency, again . . . maybe.

• Haha 3

remember me and a friend went to Nana long time ago and went into a dark place and just had a beer or 2 and my friend said were going to next place, ok i said and gave the lady a 1000 baht bill and she came back in a minute and said it's not enough and showed up a 100 baht bill ;)

so i was thinking either pay again or be beaten up in the alley by the guys working there  ,so i paid again ,hahaaaaa

never went there again ;)

• Like 2
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, Slacker77 said:

remember me and a friend went to Nana long time ago and went into a dark place and just had a beer or 2 and my friend said were going to next place, ok i said and gave the lady a 1000 baht bill and she came back in a minute and said it's not enough and showed up a 100 baht bill ;)

so i was thinking either pay again or be beaten up in the alley by the guys working there  ,so i paid again ,hahaaaaa

Wise decision.

• Like 5

Maybe a rip off but also maybe a mistake by Farang.  On my first trip to Thailand I took a short ride and it was about 80 baht on the meter. I gave the cabbie a 1000 baht note - it looked like a 100 baht note to me.  He straight away gave it back to me. I gave him a 100 baht note for the fare, and another one as a tip. As @Mongosaid - no meter - no trip.  Unless you know exactly how much from A to B and you agree an amount up front - but never pay until you get there.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

I hate those parasites that sit at the end of Soi Cowboy looking for 200 to Nana. On a couple of occasions I've been with a lady and after being quoted 200, I've flagged down a passing cab. If the cabbie doesn't put  the meter on, I pay him 100. The last time I was in BKK the fare was about 60. If he does put the meter on, I pay him 200. 

A couple of times, my companions have asked why didn't I take one of the cabs waiting at the end of Soi Cowboy? Why did I still pay 200? I tell them I paid this man 200 because he didn't try to cheat me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Slacker77 said:

I've noticed several bars in Pattaya with signs to the equivalent of if you are handing over a 1000 Bt note, you should bring it to her attention before she leaves the table.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I hate those parasites that sit at the end of Soi Cowboy looking for 200 to Nana. On a couple of occasions I've been with a lady and after being quoted 200, I've flagged down a passing cab. If the cabbie doesn't put  the meter on, I pay him 100. The last time I was in BKK the fare was about 60. If he does put the meter on, I pay him 200. 

A couple of times, my companions have asked why didn't I take one of the cabs waiting at the end of Soi Cowboy? Why did I still pay 200? I tell them I paid this man 200 because he didn't try to cheat me.

I did it once myself as I was impressed with one cabbies decency. But best to walk a few blocks from touristy spots anyway.

• Like 2

The rules are simple:
1) always insist on the meter (and know the route!)
2) if rule 1 fails, negotiate beforehand (and know the metered price!)
3) if shit still happens, stop and report the driver afterwards 

I've had to apply rule 3 only once (metered taxi, but the meter was on steroids).
I don't know if my report had any effect, so the final rule is:

4) If all else fails, just chill

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chatogaster said:

The rules are simple:
1) always insist on the meter (and know the route!)
2) if rule 1 fails, negotiate beforehand (and know the metered price!)
3) if shit still happens, stop and report the driver afterwards 

I've had to apply rule 3 only once (metered taxi, but the meter was on steroids).
I don't know if my report had any effect, so the final rule is:

4) If all else fails, just chill

Rule 0, ask first before hopping into the taxi

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Rule 0, ask first before hopping into the taxi

Rule 1 for me--Never get in one--same for tuk tuks....I d rather walk just to spite them

So farang ripped off---thai posts it?....Is it that she is just mad the cabbie got the 1000 before she did

Ohhhh teerak how can take care sick buffalo now????!!!!!!

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Rule 1 for me--Never get in one--same for tuk tuks....I d rather walk just to spite them

So farang ripped off---thai posts it?....Is it that she is just mad the cabbie got the 1000 before she did

Ohhhh teerak how can take care sick buffalo now????!!!!!!

How about Rule 5: show comparison of grab car price to taxi and maybe topup a little. Else I just walk to the next taxi

• Like 1