Jump to content

Same chain different location (big difference)


dj230
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone notice this?

I went to one restaurant that was pretty good (Gyu-Kaku),  a Japanese bbq restaurant where you grill your own food. 

Long story short, I went to another location closer to my place, was completely different, quality of food, the type of grill, atmosphere (air conditioning), everything felt like a complete different restaurant.

I haven't gone out to restaurants much, curious if this is the norm in Thailand. 

If anyone is wondering the Gyu-Kaku in Singha Complex is really good, 500-600baht a person, worth the money in my opinion, its buffet style, grill isn't gas/electric but charcoal, quality of food was surprisingly really good, a lot better than any Korean/japanese bbq I've had in Toronto for a fraction of the price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dj230 said:

Anyone notice this?

I went to one restaurant that was pretty good (Gyu-Kaku),  a Japanese bbq restaurant where you grill your own food. 

Long story short, I went to another location closer to my place, was completely different, quality of food, the type of grill, atmosphere (air conditioning), everything felt like a complete different restaurant.

I haven't gone out to restaurants much, curious if this is the norm in Thailand. 

If anyone is wondering the Gyu-Kaku in Singha Complex is really good, 500-600baht a person, worth the money in my opinion, its buffet style, grill isn't gas/electric but charcoal, quality of food was surprisingly really good, a lot better than any Korean/japanese bbq I've had in Toronto for a fraction of the price. 

It all comes down to individual managers and how well the regional supervisor does his job.  Big difference between 2 Coffee Clubs, one on Suk4, the other on Suk11 - chalk and cheese.  Same with Wine Connections, KFC ...  TiT.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

It all comes down to individual managers and how well the regional supervisor does his job.  Big difference between 2 Coffee Clubs, one on Suk4, the other on Suk11 - chalk and cheese.  Same with Wine Connections, KFC ...  TiT.

Yup it's largely about management at the local level and this can also be an indication of central management and its oversight.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/29/2021 at 12:08 AM, dj230 said:

Anyone notice this?

I went to one restaurant that was pretty good (Gyu-Kaku),  a Japanese bbq restaurant where you grill your own food. 

Long story short, I went to another location closer to my place, was completely different, quality of food, the type of grill, atmosphere (air conditioning), everything felt like a complete different restaurant.

I haven't gone out to restaurants much, curious if this is the norm in Thailand. 

If anyone is wondering the Gyu-Kaku in Singha Complex is really good, 500-600baht a person, worth the money in my opinion, its buffet style, grill isn't gas/electric but charcoal, quality of food was surprisingly really good, a lot better than any Korean/japanese bbq I've had in Toronto for a fraction of the price. 

Although I agree with you in that I find some of the Asian chains in Thailand to be very good

 

I think you may have been going to the wrong places in Toronto  :)

 

Outside of Korea, you can find amazing Korean places in Toronto and Vancouver

This is our favorite in Vancouver...........

 

https://www.yelp.ca/biz/jang-mo-jib-vancouver

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 11/29/2021 at 12:08 AM, dj230 said:

Anyone notice this?

I went to one restaurant that was pretty good (Gyu-Kaku),  a Japanese bbq restaurant where you grill your own food. 

Long story short, I went to another location closer to my place, was completely different, quality of food, the type of grill, atmosphere (air conditioning), everything felt like a complete different restaurant.

I haven't gone out to restaurants much, curious if this is the norm in Thailand. 

If anyone is wondering the Gyu-Kaku in Singha Complex is really good, 500-600baht a person, worth the money in my opinion, its buffet style, grill isn't gas/electric but charcoal, quality of food was surprisingly really good, a lot better than any Korean/japanese bbq I've had in Toronto for a fraction of the price. 

No idea about Thailand but in Vietnam restaurant "clones" would pop up near well known venues to skim clientele. 

But even if it's a legit branch or franchise it may have different levels of management or funding.

Franchises may struggle to comply with  standards (I'm thinking of 7-11 corporate's struggle to extricate itself from some bad franchises that COVID has thankfully destroyed). 

Even the same restaurant with different cooks or staff may change quality. Michelin repeatedly samples restaurants to evaluate consistency. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Vince said:

No idea about Thailand but in Vietnam restaurant "clones" would pop up near well known venues to skim clientele. 

But even if it's a legit branch or franchise it may have different levels of management or funding.

Franchises may struggle to comply with  standards (I'm thinking of 7-11 corporate's struggle to extricate itself from some bad franchises that COVID has thankfully destroyed). 

Even the same restaurant with different cooks or staff may change quality. Michelin repeatedly samples restaurants to evaluate consistency. 

I just started going out frequently around November/December, definitely noticing some differences in the quality of the restaurant even at the same chains. I was surprised because gyu-kaku is a Japanese bbq place where you grill your own food. The grills themselves are different at the two locations, ones a charcoal grill and the food was much fresher. The other location had an electric burner stove (similar to the one on an old stove) was pretty shocked at the difference. 
 

After that experience I always try to go to “higher end” locations as the prices are similar/the same 

I was hoping to visit Vietnam one day, is it similar to Thailand (in all aspects)? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use