News Forum - New variant could dampen Thailand’s reopening enthusiasm

Thaiger

5 hours ago, Jason said:

This is going to start a run on toilet paper, I just know it!!!

I recall the story of the guy in America that thought he was going to make a killing by buying up all the "paper goods" that were on sale in his local super-market and profiteering on expected shortages. When the shortages failed to materialise, he tried to return them to the shop and they refused the refund. Well done.

Right now, he might be thinking, "Omicron might just save me". He bought so much stuff, the supermarket gave it to him on pallets.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TimothyN said:

It's not the common col. Whilst also a coronavirus, the common cold is a different virus altogether.

The common cold is attributed to a group of different viruses, the most common belonging to the rhinovirus group.

The most commonly implicated is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[30] Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] influenza viruses (10–15%),[33][34][35] adenoviruses (5%),[33] human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus.[36] 

Edited by Disenfranchised

4 hours ago, Coconut said:

Thai Pass is on hold for new applicants arriving after Dec 15. TP page apologize for inconvenience. Accepting will resume on Dec 1. Drop down calendar in Test & Go application process still allows new applicants arriving until December 15. 🤞 Please don't roll back to 14 day Q

1638085867368.thumb.jpg.d9b7f95c9762679f7eafc3be312d2ded.jpg

That only applies to the 8 listed countries if I read it right. Are you saying it’s blocked for everyone currently? 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Disenfranchised said:

The common cold is attributed to a group of different viruses, the most common belonging to the rhinovirus group.

The most commonly implicated is a rhinovirus (30–80%), a type of picornavirus with 99 known serotypes.[30] Other commonly implicated viruses include human coronaviruses (≈ 15%),[31][32] influenza viruses (10–15%),[33][34][35] adenoviruses (5%),[33] human respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), enteroviruses other than rhinoviruses, human parainfluenza viruses, and human metapneumovirus.[36] 

Adding: belonging to the extended RNA genetic code family. 

Distant cousins.

But Deputy PM, and Minister of Energy, Supattanapong Punmeechaow says the Thai government is “monitoring the situation” but is “not too worried because so far only 22 people have been found infected by this variant” in the world. 

So the 60+ , found yesterday in Amsterdam in 2 flights from SA, they are not counted?

the new mutation ks around the globe, already.

Hongkong had it 'arriving' on 11.11 this year. Even before the South-African dod know, there was a newe mutation in town.

And why does Hongkong know ablut it?

Because still everyone is going into Quarantaene Hotels 

Also this Hongkong case infected another one, in the Hotel, in the Room across the hallway. Reason for that may be, the 1. case in Hongkong opened the door with a mask with valve, or with under the nose mask or such.

This guy is now in a hospital, but not because of symtoms, afaik.

Seems to be a active mutation, but mild symtoms. Could kill the Delta, open the chance for an normal endemic virus, perhaps. We will see

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pompies said:

As part owner of a YouTube vlog she will no doubt be giving 500 000 subscribers a full on honest report on holidaying in a graveyard.

She  needs to be careful with that:

Image and face is a strong motivator for officials, to deal with people. More even, if these people aren't locals

• Like 1

Most people planning to go to Thailand in the next couple months will probably cancel their trips.  Too much chance Thailand will bring back travel restrictions due to Xi (Omicron) variant.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BangkokBen said:

Most people planning to go to Thailand in the next couple months will probably cancel their trips.  Too much chance Thailand will bring back travel restrictions due to Xi (Omicron) variant.

and probably another lockdown

• Like 2

16 hours ago, longwood50 said:

I have said from the beginning this idea that you can somehow be "the boy in the bubble" isolated from covid was insane thinking.  Countries including Thailand need to have the mindset how best to coexist with Covid and minimize its impact.  That might include requiring everyone to be vaccinated.  While that does not prevent entirely covid, it diminishes the number impacted and it reduces the severity of the virus if contracted.  

If countries continue to lock down, quarantine, etc each time a new variant is discovered the economic devastation will continue but so will the covid.  So what is gained? 

I agree in part...however when we discover a variant resistant to vaccine...everything changes.

12 hours ago, Soidog said:

That only applies to the 8 listed countries if I read it right. Are you saying it’s blocked for everyone currently? 

Someone who can read Thai, please check it out on TP page and clarify for us. I don't understand what "other countries" mean. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

TP just clarify other countries means Africa. More updates are coming soon.

13 hours ago, Guest1 said:

So the 60+ , found yesterday in Amsterdam in 2 flights from SA, they are not counted

Up till now only 13 of them have been diagnosed with this variant. The others were not omicron.

That doesn’t mean the numbers can change

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete424 said:

I agree in part...however when we discover a variant resistant to vaccine...everything changes.

We have had vaccines against the flu for decades yet on average each year 9% of the entire world catches some strain of the flu.  The flu virus just like the coronavirus will keep mutating.  So if we wait until some new variant comes that is resistant to the vaccine we won't have to wait very long.  All that means is another round of quarantines, lock downs, business closures, travel restrictions, with zero impact in the end because it does not stop the virus it only changes the time when it evidences itself.  

Take reasonable precautions, get vaccinated, and start to live your life again.  I truly believe I am far more at risk of dying from a traffic accident here in Thailand than I am from covid but yet I drive as to most others. 

• Like 1

Six cases of Omicron have been detected in Scotland this morning. I would suggest people on here stop bringing the Flu into threads about Covid its nothing to do with flu.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vlad said:

stop bringing the Flu into threads about Covid its nothing to do with flu.

The flu is a virus yes a different virus than Covid but it is germane since we have had vaccines to prevent it for decades yet each year 9% of the world on average still contracts the flu.  We have vaccines for the mumps but it is effective in preventing the mumps in only 88% of the people exposed to the mumps.  We have vaccines for pneumonia but they are between 60% and 70% effective.  

The corona virus is no different.  Anyone who thinks that the world can somehow find a vaccine that eliminates it is deluding themselves.  You only have to look at how effective other vaccines have been in preventing the contraction of those diseases to know they all have significant limitations. 

12 hours ago, HiuMak said:

and probably another lockdown

It would be pretty foolhardy for any potential holidaymaker to think otherwise - stay local has to be the answer for now.

• Like 1