News Forum - Phuket traffic police deny Facebook accusal of targeting tourists

Thaiger

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Mate - it is rampant everywhere.  There is a vid on youtube I saw a while back (pre-Covid) where a Farang is filming while riding on the back of a 'taxi' bike without a helmet.  They come up to the BiB boys who have pulled over foreign riders, but are letting the Thais go past. As soon as one of the RTP guys sees that it is a farang on the back of the bike, he walks in front and tries to stop the taxi bike.  The taxi rider just ignores him and scoots around them all and rides away. He later tells the guy that they always ignore any RTP who tries to pull them over - the 'unspoken rule' is that the BiB let the taxis riders go - bad for business to fine them.

That reminds me about my wife, she took her car for service and it was going to be a few hours so she thought sack this Im going to central so she decided to get on a bike taxi on the way they get stopped it was about her not wearing a helmet, with that she kicked off at the police "Im not putting that dirty rancid helmet on my head" She told me the police just laughed and told her to go, 

At first glance my wife doesn't look Thai, white skin and big eyes, maybe the police thought she was farang

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

A bit of a side-track: I'm assuming these are tourists right now who aren't wearing masks?
Why aren't the police - or other authorities - telling these people directly, or keep fining them? Or is the fine peanuts to them?

We don't see any tourists in Udon, so this is news to me.

We own a condo and it's full of Russians at the moment infact it's like little Moscow, everytime I go down there none of them are wearing mask

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

A bit of a side-track: I'm assuming these are tourists right now who aren't wearing masks?
Why aren't the police - or other authorities - telling these people directly, or keep fining them? Or is the fine peanuts to them?

We don't see any tourists in Udon, so this is news to me.

Yes a lot here I see are Arabs no mask or mask under chin. many Russians just don't wear it .. I can't say why they don't or why the police or local authorities don't fine them .. but in bangla Road there is a check point to get in at each end, they soon put them on to get in then they take them off soon as past the gate.. the authorities walking up and down bangla road love selective photos to show they are doing their job !  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Yes a lot here I see are Arabs no mask or mask under chin. many Russians just don't wear it .. I can't say why they don't or why the police or local authorities don't fine them .. but in bangla Road there is a check point to get in at each end, they soon put them on to get in then they take them off soon as past the gate.. the authorities walking up and down bangla road love selective photos to show they are doing their job !  

A friend of mine went down there the other night and they asked to see her vaccine certificate she told them she had left the phone in the car, they just let her through I wonder if they would have let a farang through..........?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Scribble said:

Surely the biggest idiot in your scenario is the tourist who thinks they are immune to getting fines and wears a baseball cap instead of a helmet?

Yes as said in my previous posts on this thread.. I don't mind law enforcement but not selective law enforcement.. 

5 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

A friend of mine went down there the other night and they asked to see her vaccine certificate she told them she had left the phone in the car, they just let her through I wonder if they would have let a farang through..........?

Be honest they not check vaccine status of tourists or felang because they think everyone has been vaccinated to travel to phuket.. my gf gets asked everytime and I only have to have temperature check

Christmas time is coming for the RTP

But I was surprised the other day, when I say they had set up a check point just south patong, and didn't stop me nor the 2 bikes in front of, I guess the first rider was Thai and the rest of us just got a pass.

• Thanks 1

The thing is.... Try to prove them wrong. 

As a driver in Thailand myself.... No one follows the traffic laws😂 So they might be right to just stop anyone. 

Definite systematic stopping of tourists on motorbikes and even in cars in Phuket. Seen roadblocks in Patong, Karon and Rawai all since 1 Nov plus heavy Police patrols at Karon Beach & Kata Beach.

Police can always say its routine enforcement but cant explain why thais are never stopped when most of them are guaranteed Zero Compliant with Illegal Sidecars, No Helmet- Tax -License- Insurance. But no money to pay Fines….

• Like 1