News Forum - CCSA hints that some bars and nightclubs could reopen before January 16

Thaiger

The long awaited reopening of bars and nightclubs is still set for January 16, but a government spokesperson has hinted that they could reopen sooner. The deputy spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Nopakun Natapanu, says that the CCSA decided to stay with the plan to for January, but will allow relevant agencies to continue to work closely with business operators to ensure that they can “reopen at the earliest opportunity.” Bars and nightclubs nationwide were ordered to close in April as many of the Covid clusters reported at the start of the latest wave of the virus were […]

The story CCSA hints that some bars and nightclubs could reopen before January 16 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

FFS enough with the lies and BS, peoples livelihoods are on the line here and you clowns still can't make a decision, what's wrong with you idiots. 

TIT the land of indecisive governance. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Graham said:

FFS enough with the lies and BS, peoples livelihoods are on the line here and you clowns still can't make a decision, what's wrong with you idiots. 

I get your frustration, but I'd rather see caution than the current mess there is in Europe.

If the reopening all goes wrong, and it becomes necessary to re-introduce restrictions, the TH will get the blame for not exercising more caution.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Graham said:

Not really. Bars and entertainment places promote close contact and how can you drink with a mask? You might get away with it for a while, but in the long run, I see a disaster in the works. I'm sure the Thai authorities see the same. Vaccines and masks are a start but being able to quickly treat infections isn't here yet. When effective inexpensive treatment are available is the time relaxation makes sense. 

It could be years away and those with vested interest in the industry should make alternate plans.

• Thanks 1

Think it will all be open soon, the Govt are not interested in keeping it shut, no money.  Yes they'll do it slowly under the pretense of caution but they will not shut it down again.  Fore runner of this was Phuket "sandbox" and the forever moving goal posts for Covid numbers to trigger shutdown.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I get your frustration, but I'd rather see caution than the current mess there is in Europe.

If the reopening all goes wrong, and it becomes necessary to re-introduce restrictions, the TH will get the blame for not exercising more caution.

I am in UAE where bars are open, can have a drink with my meal and Covid cases around 70 per day, sometimes less. The Thai government has made a complete balls up of the handling of Covid since day 1. I feel for the people of Thailand who have lost everything because of the Junta.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Graham said:

I am in UAE where bars are open, can have a drink with my meal and Covid cases around 70 per day, sometimes less. The Thai government has made a complete balls up of the handling of Covid since day 1. I feel for the people of Thailand who have lost everything because of the Junta.

I have a great deal of sympathy for those who are suffering hardship, and I have said several times, that I look forward to the re-opening of the bars so that I can book my flight.

However, 70 cases in the UAE extrapolates to 500 a day in TH. The current case rate in TH is stated as 6k a day, which is 12X that of UAE per capita. Most people believe that figure to be understated.

During the meantime, Phuket has reopened it's nightlife, and yesterday there was a sudden spike in cases, a fair few of which were centred on the Bangla Rd, entertainment district. A 1 day spike on it's own is not real evidence that there is a problem, but if numbers continue to rise, it may well be that Phuket will start to mirror events in Europe where most places of entertainment are open, in which case the evidence will be mounting, that loosening restrictions will bring another wave, and probably another lockdown. 

I have no love for the TH gov, but I will also not criticise them for being cautious in these circumstances even if it means I can't book a flight.

• Like 1

It's evident that the Thai government is slowly "loosening the reigns". Never bowing to pressure of course, but the decision of CCSA today to move to rapid antigen testing of tourists is a sign that things are changing as does this report. 

A troubling sign in South Africa could change things. Sadly, it's time to use national borders to contain the new strain. I note some countries have already closed the borders to south Africa and surrounding countries. Thailand's ironic has not made any directives in that regard...nor has my country. If I remember correctly, it was this tardiness of countries last time that caused the spread. 

Maybe this time we could work together. Maybe now, we in the first and developing world could send vaccines to Africa. It would be a reminder of what should have been done the first time. By turning away from poor countries, we have allowed the virus to come back stronger.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Sadly you'd be one of the few that enjoys a drink with a meal, but here in patong it's just like before covid .. people don't want to have a drink with a meal. they want to go full on and have.. I see it daily here .. Russians, Arabs and many others here now not wearing masks.. they've just shut 3 live music bars that had been packed solid every day, people drunk singinging at the top of their voices, jumping up and down, dancing arms around each other and strangers .. and 10 other bars been closed. when you open its all or nothing.. sadly none of this sensible drink with a meal..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's evident that the Thai government is slowly "loosening the reigns". Never bowing to pressure of course, but the decision of CCSA today to move to rapid antigen testing of tourists is a sign that things are changing as does this report. 

A troubling sign in South Africa could change things. Sadly, it's time to use national borders to contain the new strain. I note some countries have already closed the borders to south Africa and surrounding countries. Thailand's ironic has not made any directives in that regard...nor has my country. If I remember correctly, it was this tardiness of countries last time that caused the spread. 

Maybe this time we could work together. Maybe now, we in the first and developing world could send vaccines to Africa. It would be a reminder of what should have been done the first time. By turning away from poor countries, we have allowed the virus to come back stronger.

I agree with the thrust of your post but I would question how quickly we should be helping Africa etc. If you are on a plane and the oxygen masks drop, the instructions are very clear: You put your own mask on first before assisting those less able to help themselves. The reasons for it are obvious. 

• Like 1

Here is history repeating itself. South Africa and now surrounding countries are another Wuhan! So what will we do? Adopt a wait and see approach like last time? 

3 hours ago, Graham said:

That calls stalking.... wasting time so they can extend it and extend it 

26 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Sadly you'd be one of the few that enjoys a drink with a meal, but here in patong it's just like before covid .. people don't want to have a drink with a meal. they want to go full on and have.. I see it daily here .. Russians, Arabs and many others here now not wearing masks.. they've just shut 3 live music bars that had been packed solid every day, people drunk singinging at the top of their voices, jumping up and down, dancing arms around each other and strangers .. and 10 other bars been closed. when you open its all or nothing.. sadly none of this sensible drink with a meal..

That's precisely why when I hope to be in Phuket in March, I won't be going to nightclubs or bars that have large gatherings of people. I'll be wearing a mask outside as will my partner. I'll be being careful where we go, but I'll enjoy every moment I can, because it's been two years since we've been together because of this thing called Covid and I'm not going to let it get in my way!!!!

• Cool 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

That's precisely why when I hope to be in Phuket in March, I won't be going to nightclubs or bars that have large gatherings of people. I'll be wearing a mask outside as will my partner. I'll be being careful where we go, but I'll enjoy every moment I can, because it's been two years since we've been together because of this thing called Covid and I'm not going to let it get in my way!!!!

Seriously enjoy your time here.. there is chaos and quiet places .. you'll know where to go..

So, the Thai government changed the reopening from "at least" to "before" January 16 with the extension of national emergency till end of January. I am sure it will change agin if there's more COVID-19 cases coming from the big events like Music Festival and Fireworks.

7 hours ago, Jason said:

I think we've already put our oxygen masks on...we've done little if anything to "assist the children"

I think you might have taken my quote a little out of context. Within weeks of the vaccine being rolled out there were already comments being made from African nations about the wealthier nations giving them vaccine aid, when we were still unable to vax priority cases such as front-line and health care workers, and high risk patients.

To give you some idea if you prioritised just the over 65's, Health Care Workers, and immunocompromised, that's 15 million people each requiring 2 jabs each. It took us the best part of four months to reach 30 mill. Now add to that pile, transport workers, delivery drivers, supermarket workers etc, all of whom are necessary to keep the keep the country functioning and you are looking at about the first 45 mill jabs being needed at home. 

To date the UK has had more infections than the entire African continent which has 20X a greater population. Does it really make sense to you, that we should be doing more for Africa, when per capita, our needs are 20X greater? And if we don't fix our own problems first, we will not be in a good position to fix other's problems late

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Two years --- well you'll have the first week covered--- just remember to come up for air, food and water.

Wish you both a great time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Some people aren't considerate of others. It forces reclosures to protect the population.  The new strain, omicron, could be a game changer. 

The Thai Public Health department knows the risks that bars especially with hostess present and its very high. It doesn't just affect that industry, but it spreads throughout the country. 

We'll have to wait and see, but if it's as bad as reported, all bets of reopening might be off.

19 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

However, 70 cases in the UAE extrapolates to 500 a day in TH. The current case rate in TH is stated as 6k a day, which is 12X that of UAE per capita. Most people believe that figure to be understated.

The numbers of infections are higher than the reported numbers of infections in every country in the world. So it’s truism to say, that that figure is understated.

The question is, if the numbers of infections are significantly more understated in Thailand than in other countries. “Most people believe” doesn’t help. First: Most people don’t even think about that. And most people who are actually thinking about that, don’t understand anything about it. It’s about statistics and pandemics and there are not many people who understand both - or even one of it. 

It’s a fact, that all other numbers in Thailand (like deaths, hospitalization of sick people etc.) match to the number of infections. There is no hint, that the dark figure of infections in Thailand is significantly higher than in the UK or in the US. Btw: In the US and the UK health care became overwhelmed during pandemic. That wasn’t the case in Thailand. 

If you know Thailand, then you know, that it’s very unlikely, that there are many people dying secretly somewhere and no one is talking about it. On the contrary: There are not many countries in the world like Thailand, who send so many people in a hospital (including field hospitals), who don’t have any symptoms. The ‘green’ and most (maybe all) of the ‘yellow’ patients in Thailand wouldn’t be hospitalized i.e. in the US. 

In Phuket there are about 1,000 people under medical care or supervision. 233 of them are called ‘patients’. 2 of the 233 patients would be hospitalized in the countries like the US as well and many of the other 998 wouldn’t be under any care or supervision in other countries. That means that there aren't many possiblities to fake the number of deaths or hospitalization in Thailand to make them match to a faked number of infections. The dark figure of death by covid is supposed to be much higher i.e. in the US than in Thailand.

2 minutes ago, Michael0510 said:

The numbers of infections are higher than the reported numbers of infections in every country in the world. So it’s truism to say, that that figure is understated.

The question is, if the numbers of infections are significantly more understated in Thailand than in other countries. “Most people believe” doesn’t help. First: Most people don’t even think about that. And most people who are actually thinking about that, don’t understand anything about it. It’s about statistics and pandemics and there are not many people who understand both - or even one of it. 

It’s a fact, that all other numbers in Thailand (like deaths, hospitalization of sick people etc.) match to the number of infections. There is no hint, that the dark figure of infections in Thailand is significantly higher than in the UK or in the US. Btw: In the US and the UK health care became overwhelmed during pandemic. That wasn’t the case in Thailand. 

If you know Thailand, then you know, that it’s very unlikely, that there are many people dying secretly somewhere and no one is talking about it. On the contrary: There are not many countries in the world like Thailand, who send so many people in a hospital (including field hospitals), who don’t have any symptoms. The ‘green’ and most (maybe all) of the ‘yellow’ patients in Thailand wouldn’t be hospitalized i.e. in the US. 

In Phuket there are about 1,000 people under medical care or supervision. 233 of them are called ‘patients’. 2 of the 233 patients would be hospitalized in the countries like the US as well and many of the other 998 wouldn’t be under any care or supervision in other countries. That means that there aren't many possiblities to fake the number of deaths or hospitalization in Thailand to make them match to a faked number of infections. The dark figure of death by covid is supposed to be much higher i.e. in the US than in Thailand.

Sorry, we haven't met before, but firstly what are you trying to say, because your post has no relation whatsoever with the topic? ⬆️

Secondly, your making assumptions, not truisms.

Thirdly, the health system was absolutely overwhelmed in Thailand and people were dying in the streets as there was no capacity for them anymore. And field-hospitals and rented hotelrooms (because hospitals are at capacity) doesn't show the system isn't overwhelmed, but quite the opposite.

Whether people should be in care or not can be discussed, but can you choose an appropriate topic for that (or create one) instead of throwing it in a "bars and nightclub" thread?

Cheers!

24 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Whether people should be in care or not can be discussed, but can you choose an appropriate topic for that (or create one) instead of throwing it in a "bars and nightclub" thread?

Maybe he means that the hospital is the new bar? 
Least my bar has not been closed yet, they follow all the rules …. Pity I have to drink at home as no seats in 7/11.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

Maybe he means that the hospital is the new bar? 
Least my bar has not been closed yet, they follow all the rules …. Pity I have to drink at home as no seats in 7/11.

I think some people got seriously spooked by the new variant, as they're posting all over the place regardless of the topic. 

May I suggest today's special for you? The intravenous "Manhattan" 😉