Jump to content

WHO calls special meeting to discuss South African variant with “large number of mutations”


dj230
 Share

Recommended Posts

Saw this on some investment news websites last night, didn’t realize how significant it was until I woke up this morning. 
 

interested to see if this is going to be a small hurdle or a big one. 
 

It reminded me anything can still happen with this on going pandemic. Seems like WHO is taking this pretty seriously, wouldn’t be surprised if this is something they’re not prepared for 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, dj230 said:

interested to see if this is going to be a small hurdle or a big one. 
 

European news overnight says it could be very big. UK is already introducing restrictions to and from parts of Africa. Apparently, vaccines don't help much for these mutations. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

European news overnight says it could be very big. UK is already introducing restrictions to and from parts of Africa. Apparently, vaccines don't help much for these mutations. 

They did mention the possibility of the mutation of the spike protein making antibodies less effective, or something of that nature in the news reports

curious if this will be the mutation that really starts another real wave (not like the smaller waves we saw but one where there is another global emergency)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Africa is a perfect school example of a country which didn't get vaccinated a lot.


According to CNN approximately 40% (25M out of a population of 58M) is vaccinated so just like Thailand. Now there they see the 'effects of what their limited choices where'....

I've said it before we're no where out of the problem zone yet. Europe is going through a lock down of some forms as people not holding a Schengen visa can't come in easily I've been told and I've been reading about on for example the dutch foreign affairs departments website.

So yeah let's see perhaps there comes a new initiative to spike up the amount of vaccinations... We even need boosters it's just a fact.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Apparently, vaccines don't help much for these mutations. 

This is the big unknown causing the uproar. Beta has three mutations on the spike protein's ACE2 receptor (the hook that allows entry into your cells), Delta has two. This new beast has ten. Plus 20 more elsewhere on the spike. The good news (?) is that the initial cases seem to be concentrated in unvaccinated younger people. The bad news is that it's already been found outside of S. Africa in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another narrative bites the dust.

 

"Nov 26 (Reuters) - The United States will bar entry to most travelers from eight southern African countries starting on Monday, after a potentially more-contagious new coronavirus variant was identified in South Africa, President Joe Biden said on Friday."

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-impose-travel-curbs-eight-southern-african-countries-over-new-covid-19-2021-11-26/

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dj230 said:

Saw this on some investment news websites last night, didn’t realize how significant it was until I woke up this morning. 
 

interested to see if this is going to be a small hurdle or a big one. 
 

It reminded me anything can still happen with this on going pandemic. Seems like WHO is taking this pretty seriously, wouldn’t be surprised if this is something they’re not prepared for 

Ebola mutant

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, JamesE said:

This is the big unknown causing the uproar. Beta has three mutations on the spike protein's ACE2 receptor (the hook that allows entry into your cells), Delta has two. This new beast has ten. Plus 20 more elsewhere on the spike. The good news (?) is that the initial cases seem to be concentrated in unvaccinated younger people. The bad news is that it's already been found outside of S. Africa in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.

Its been named the Omicrom variant apparently. its hard to keep up with the various names, worse than Hurricanes. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/27/2021 at 10:10 AM, Pinetree said:

Its been named the Omicrom variant apparently. its hard to keep up with the various names, worse than Hurricanes. 

It was going to be called the Xi variant but then they erm cough changed their minds 😆

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, dj230 said:

They did mention the possibility of the mutation of the spike protein making antibodies less effective, or something of that nature in the news reports

curious if this will be the mutation that really starts another real wave (not like the smaller waves we saw but one where there is another global emergency)

In the end, science won't be able to keep up. 

It's become too political in nature. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Rain said:

In the end, science won't be able to keep up. 

It's become too political in nature. 

Politicians who think they are better than scientist. Familiar situation 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

This is all about politics now and mandates are being their tool of choice. This new variant is called Omicron by the WHO because the next letter would have been Xi which may have upset their biggest sponsor, China. Based on first reports from South Africa, the new strain is much milder as far as symptoms are concerned, but in a world of political incompetence it has already created panic and caused haphazard actions, like lockdowns etc. 
The economic backlash is going to be enormous and in the end will cost more lives than the Covid virus itself.

A word about masks. At the beginning of this pandemic all scientists stated that wearing a mask would not protect you from the virus. Which when looking at scientific evidence was a true statement. Cloth masks and even normal surgical masks will not protect you from the virus nor will they stop someone who has the virus from passing it on. Those surgical masks are effective against bacteria, but not against viruses which are much, much, much smaller than bacteria. They simply pass through the material lie it wasn't there. If you think about it and do a little research you will find this confirmed.

Get vaccinated and if you do get infected get your doctor to prescribe the new medications and you'll be OK, it is not a reason to shut down a whole country anymore and stop this stupid mask mandate. The moisture collecting in the mask material is a perfect breeding ground for all sorts of bacteria which could infect your respiratory system and cause a variety of diseases while not protecting you or others from Covid!!!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Politicians who think they are better than scientist. Familiar situation 

Of course. 

Yet, today's environment forces science to be political and prejudicial. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope this new varint that was identified by South African scientists as being a milder form of the CVOID virus is real.  Maybe this "monster" has finally mutated to the point of declining potency... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Thomazz59 said:

I hope this new varint that was identified by South African scientists as being a milder form of the CVOID virus is real.  Maybe this "monster" has finally mutated to the point of declining potency... 

Yes , and this mutation takes over all the other versions and brings the virus to an end and the movie finishes  then we can all go home and  we can all live happily ever after

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use