News Forum - Soi Dog Foundation sends over 100 tonnes of dog and cat food for flood relief

Thaiger

9 hours ago, Sarisin said:

Well meaning but idiotic and counter productive, all they are doing is sponsoring more stray dogs and prolonging suffering. I would contribute to any organisation getting rid of soi dogs, not to one pretending to. All these doggy foundations achieve is to slightly reduce the population growth and the dogs they do sterilise are still pests, of course they do get a tiny number adopted which is a drop in the ocean. Like pigeons stray dogs should never be fed.It is weird that almost all the people who support these do gooders actually eat dead animals and think dogs are somehow different to cows, pigs and sheep, they are not.

So what would you propose given the Thai authorities aren’t looking to solve the problem?  Do we allow these unfortunate animals to starve? Possibly turning more aggressive and attacking each other for food or even attacking small children. Do we allow them to simply starve in the street? 

I also would prefer there was a mass humane culling and sterilisation. Even if there was, it would be a temporary fix until the next batch of unwanted pets get turfed out in to the streets to fend for themselves by the loving, kind and claiming to be “good Buddhist” Thais. The Soi dog foundation is like many other charities. There is little it can do to solve the underlying problem and only helps to elevate some of the suffering. 

https://www.soidog.org/content/make-donation

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Rain said:

Much less complicated if we just put 'em down. 

Agreed. But how do you stop more being thrown out on to the streets by the good Thai Buddhists? 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

My wife is the local "cat lady" who feeds the local strays. She also does TNR, trap, neuter, return of the local feral cats. As a result of her activities, especially leaving the bathroom window open so that they can be fed, we have had six take up permanent residence with us over the past 8 years we have been at our current home. The vets bills are €3-4k a year including vaxxing and with food as well, we spend about another €1000 on her "hobby" annually. No good deed goes unpunished I think. However, I do appreciate that were it not for her efforts, the area would be overrun with feral cats.

I've often explained Reincarnation as follows: If you've led a bad life, when you die, you will come back as something like a slug. But if you've led a good life, you will come back as one of my wife's cats.

Does she also  help the real wildlife of  Thailand the birds, frogs, toads, snakes that those feral introduced  cats kill? theyre as  bad if  not worse than the dogs, perhaps youd  like to mention it to her.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. But how do you stop more being thrown out on to the streets by the good Thai Buddhists? 

Out local Wat now has signs pointing out CCTV and any caught dumping a pet will be fined 40k, even the Buddhists have had enough!

1 hour ago, RampantRabbit said:

Does she also  help the real wildlife of  Thailand the birds, frogs, toads, snakes that those feral introduced  cats kill? theyre as  bad if  not worse than the dogs, perhaps youd  like to mention it to her.

No she does not. Her total experience of TH amounts to 5 days. Her activities are limited to Dublin and when she is at home in Japan.

She does feed the birds, but from a bird table to keep them safe from her cats.

Regarding her contribution towards keeping the snake population down, I can assure you she has done a good job. There are no snakes in Ireland, as they were all cast out by St Patrick according to legend, so I think it can be said she is carrying on in his footsteps Hahaha.

I get the impression you are not happy at my wife's activities. I am not sure if you think she ought to get a gun and start shooting the "critters". However, we've been at our current home for eight years during which time, she has been responsible for neutering about 20 cats. Females are capable of producing up to three litters a year. Can you imagine what our neighbourhood might be like had she done nothing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarisin said:

Out local Wat now has signs pointing out CCTV and any caught dumping a pet will be fined 40k, even the Buddhists have had enough!

Well that’s good to hear. As an animal lover I simply can not comprehend the cruelty and lack of heart to abandon your pet dog.

A couple of years ago, I read a terrible tale in the Bangkok Post. A guy was sat having a coffee when a pick up truck pulled up. The driver got out and opened the door and a dog jumped out. The driver got back in a drove off. The dog ran after the trick until it couldn’t run anymore. It then stood watching as the truck disappeared in to the distance. After about 10 minutes sitting and watching, the dog walked away and got on with its new life on the street. 

There are some horrendous things humans do to each other and of course they are more impactful than things associated with animals. But the person who did that to a defenceless and unprepared animal deserves to die the most painful of deaths. 

4 minutes ago, Soidog said:

A couple of years ago, I read a terrible tale in the Bangkok Post. A guy was sat having a coffee when a pick up truck pulled up. The driver got out and opened the door and a dog jumped out. The driver got back in a drove off. The dog ran after the trick until it couldn’t run anymore. It then stood watching as the truck disappeared in to the distance. After about 10 minutes sitting and watching, the dog walked away and got on with its new life on the street. 

That's  sad story. I don't get mawkish about animals, but I am convinced that many higher order mammals do have feelings, and the relationship between dogs and man in particular, is where the dog can see some humans as friends. What does that say about someone who can abandon his friend so callously?

16 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

That's  sad story. I don't get mawkish about animals, but I am convinced that many higher order mammals do have feelings, and the relationship between dogs and man in particular, is where the dog can see some humans as friends. What does that say about someone who can abandon his friend so callously?

It may sound melodramatic and exaggerated, but I honestly feel that people who are cruel to animals deserve further attention by authorities. I’m no expert, but a common theme of violent and psychopathic behaviour is cruelty to animals. Anyone who can do that to a pet dog would think nothing of other cruel and violent acts towards people. Three things make my blood boil. Violence by men towards women, children and animals. All three are essentially defenceless and it’s an utterly cowardly act. That is of course unless it’s a 45kg 5’ Thai woman you have pissed off and then it’s best to run for the hills 😉

• Cool 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Well that’s good to hear. As an animal lover I simply can not comprehend the cruelty and lack of heart to abandon your pet dog.

There are some horrendous things humans do to each other and of course they are more impactful than things associated with animals. But the person who did that to a defenceless and unprepared animal deserves to die the most painful of deaths. 

Yep. Contrary to popular illusion, our kind are not terribly special in the greater scheme of things.

14 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

No she does not. Her total experience of TH amounts to 5 days. Her activities are limited to Dublin and when she is at home in Japan.

She does feed the birds, but from a bird table to keep them safe from her cats.

Regarding her contribution towards keeping the snake population down, I can assure you she has done a good job. There are no snakes in Ireland, as they were all cast out by St Patrick according to legend, so I think it can be said she is carrying on in his footsteps Hahaha.

I get the impression you are not happy at my wife's activities. I am not sure if you think she ought to get a gun and start shooting the "critters". However, we've been at our current home for eight years during which time, she has been responsible for neutering about 20 cats. Females are capable of producing up to three litters a year. Can you imagine what our neighbourhood might be like had she done nothing? 

I try to stick to Thailand not the rest of the world as its a  Thai  forum. I therefore  assume other poster  post  about Thailand not the rest of the world.

On 11/26/2021 at 8:39 PM, Soidog said:

😂😂. I’m sure they do, if only I can find a case big enough 👍🏻

Are you associated with this foundation or do you just share the name. I think they do good work, but in my area several Buddhist temples care for stray dogs and cats. The Abbott calls us when food is running short and we make a run to dog food store. 

I am a pet lover, particularly a dog lover.  But this situation in Thailand is horrible.  The government wants to somehow attract "wealthy upscale tourists" yet the streets are filled with scraggly mangy packs of dogs. Some of the dogs are dangerous and have attacked people.  Each day I drive on Thailand's roads I have to avoid accidents from dogs that dart out into traffic or many who just lay on the road. 

This idea of feeding them while it seems kind on the surface only serves to increase the number of dogs that are then left to breed and the problem is not resolved, it is multiplied. 

Either the government should take action to remove and euthanize stray cats and dogs so that they are not a public nuisance or they should legalize the sale of those animals for food and let the public take care of the problem. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

True nothing is worse than a trip to a Thai abattoir to see what happens to defenceless and unprepared animals, soi dogs have it easy in comparison. Halal and kosher are even worse of course.

19 hours ago, Soidog said:

It may sound melodramatic and exaggerated, but I honestly feel that people who are cruel to animals deserve further attention by authorities. I’m no expert, but a common theme of violent and psychopathic behaviour is cruelty to animals. Anyone who can do that to a pet dog would think nothing of other cruel and violent acts towards people. Three things make my blood boil. Violence by men towards women, children and animals. All three are essentially defenceless and it’s an utterly cowardly act. That is of course unless it’s a 45kg 5’ Thai woman you have pissed off and then it’s best to run for the hills 😉

Eating animals is the height of cruelty

21 hours ago, Soidog said:

You think that a person deserves a painful death because he abandoned a dog ?

I personally think that a fine would be sufficient punishment 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RampantRabbit said:

I try to stick to Thailand not the rest of the world as its a  Thai  forum. I therefore  assume other poster  post  about Thailand not the rest of the world.

My apologies. I was not aware of the rule that said you could not post about practices outside TH that might offer a solution. If you want to chide me for that as well as my wife's behaviour in not saving frogs, toads and snakes, which we never see where we live, I can live with that. But that wasn't always the case. Before moving to Dub, we lived in Cambridge where we built a pond for Koi Carp. During the frog/toad mating season, the pond would fill up with both and their spawn. So once a year, she would gather up as many of these creatures as well as he spawn jut before they became tadpoles, and relocate them all to the River Cam. I hope that helps to improve my wife's image with you?

I think originally, you clearly did not work out from my post, that my references to my wife's local activities and my screen name were relevant to Ireland.

1 hour ago, Fluke said:

You think that a person deserves a painful death because he abandoned a dog ?

I personally think that a fine would be sufficient punishment 

Not because he abandoned his dog but the heartless and careless way in which it was done. There are better options he could have taken. Fining him will allow him the freedom to go on with his attitude. Next time the totally abhorrent behaviour could be aimed at a person. But to answer your question - Yes I do, the evil SOB. 

2 hours ago, Sarisin said:

True nothing is worse than a trip to a Thai abattoir to see what happens to defenceless and unprepared animals, soi dogs have it easy in comparison. Halal and kosher are even worse of course.

Yes I agree. Anyone who enjoys eating meat should take a trip to an abattoir or slaughter house. Halal meat slaughter is utterly barbaric. I saw how sheep are killed with a guy slitting the throats. It wasn’t as we imagine with a cut to a main artery and the animal drops instantly and bleeds out quietly. It was a swipe of a long knife to the neck that in some instances partially decapitated the animal. It would then jump around for 10- 30 seconds or more with its head virtually hanging off. Animals coming in to the room were it total fear. I always ask people a simple question. If you love meat so much, could you kill the animal in a slaughter house first? I know I couldn’t. 

2 hours ago, steve860 said:

IMG_20200312_165919.jpg

Getting a little off topic but just to say:

Meat eating is a natural thing as many animals do the same in the wild. Obviously we like to think we are different to animals, but each and every day we show we are no better. In many cases, far worse! 

Im not vegan and I do limit myself to eating chicken and seafood. I simply can not eat red meat even though it tastes fantastic. As a child of 12 I went cycling with some friends and we were in the field at the back of what was turned out to be an abattoir. As we approached, the noises coming from the building have stayed with me to this day. I’m not saying chicken farming is great and some commercial fishing could be far better.