News Forum - Thailand entry may be simplified by switching to antigen test

Thaiger

22 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

<deleted content>

<deleted content>

so all the countries in the world have been working together really well during C19 have they?

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I think the vaccine distribution has shown this to completely true....

Hmmmmm

Edited by BigHewer
Argumentative question and replies removed

25 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

<deleted content>

And come on . Get real for a minute here. Thai scientists are not, have not, and probably never will be at the forefront of developments in anything to do with Corona. They still haven't come up with their own vaccine!!!

Edited by BigHewer
Argumentative content and replies removed
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

And come on . Get real for a minute here. Thai scientists are not, have not, and probably never will be at the forefront of developments in anything to do with Corona. They still haven't come up with their own vaccine!!!

Nice deflection.

We were talking about Covid gene sequencing on incoming travelers, which they do. Not in huge numbers as there are not many international travelers yet, but they do (and they can).

19 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Nice deflection.

We were talking about Covid gene sequencing on incoming travelers, which they do. Not in huge numbers as there are not many international travelers yet, but they do (and they can).

Less than 1 in 10,000 infected travelers arriving. They must be rushed off their feet!

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Less than 1 in 10,000 infected travelers arriving. They must be rushed off their feet!

I'm open to discussion and criticism, but now you show that you don't understand it.

Even if they find only 1 case, it can be significant. We're talking sequencing, not testing for positives.

In some countries they test more than 100-fold of what Thailand does and they find one, and then find a few and after 1 day the count is 50 worldwide already. It's about statistics, not about certainties.

So of course it matters that all countries contribute to the total.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I'm open to discussion and criticism, but now you show that you don't understand it.

Even if they find only 1 case, it can be significant. We're talking sequencing, not testing for positives.

In some countries they test more than 100-fold of what Thailand does and they find one, and then find a few and after 1 day the count is 50 worldwide already. It's about statistics, not about certainties.

So of course it matters that all countries contribute to the total.

Your belief in Thailand's capabilities is admirable. 

1 minute ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Your belief in Thailand's capabilities is admirable. 

Seqencing isn't difficult and is a concerted effort between nations.

That's why it was found in Africa and subsequently in Hong Kong as the information is exchanged. That's how they know it's not just some variant, but the same variant in different locations.

You say in Thailand they don't do many, but even if the number is lower, it's still really important to identify.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Seqencing isn't difficult and is a concerted effort between nations.

That's why it was found in Africa and subsequently in Hong Kong as the information is exchanged. That's how they know it's not just some variant, but the same variant in different locations.

You say in Thailand they don't do many, but even if the number is lower, it's still really important to identify.

L.O.S. 

Land of the Sequencing.

👍🏼🇹🇭💗

Just now, TheDirtyDurian said:

L.O.S. 

Land of the Sequencing.

👍🏼🇹🇭💗

I guess you're not going to agree even if the proverbial is staring you in the face, but I appreciate the humour.

24 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

I guess you're not going to agree even if the proverbial is staring you in the face, but I appreciate the humour.

Just because you say it's so, don't necessarily make it so .......

• Like 1

I note that since this story, CCSA have adopted rapid antigen tests for international arrivals. I just want to know where the tests are done? Is it al the airport or at the hotel?

On 11/26/2021 at 2:10 AM, Bob20 said:

The point to consider is speed against accuracy.

Would you rather get a more accurate result from a PCR test with one nights' wait?

Or would you rather know the result in minutes and spend more time in quarantine because of a far more likely false positive ATK test?

Not seeking to challenge your thinking on this, but for a long time, I was sceptical about the accuracy of ATK tests, but apparently this has improved a lot recently. A local supermarket to where I live is selling ATK tests with a claimed accuracy of 97%+. I recall when the figures were about 80%.

Not sure whether to believe as I have not seen the sample size. I've seen plenty of "surveys" for female cosmetics where the product gets favourable reviews from "86%" on a sample size if "297".

But it is interesting that the UK has introduced mandatory testing for those coming from areas where Omicron is known to be active, and only a PCR test is acceptable.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2021 at 2:31 AM, Does said:

With Covid Delta variant, the r naught is 6.0-7.0.  So one infected person can possibly spread it to 7, then to 49, then 343, to 2,400 people!  This is exactly what is happening in Austria, Germany and Netherlands. With tourists failing to wear masks or wearing them improperly (leaving their nose exposed), removing RT-PCR tests, may leave to a fourth wave in Thailand with another closure of borders.  

Not to disagree with your post, but the one figure that I always thought was a ludicrously an over inflated pair of male testes, was the "R number". I watched for months where ranges were from 0.6-0.8 to1.0 to 1.3 but as you watched the daily figures come in, the new cases never seemed to mirror those figures even when you allowed for time lag.

OTOH, I can cite three cases, where one or two people caused far greater damage than about one new infection. The first was in BKK where one person want to watch a boxing match in a closed stadium. Within days, there were 20+ cases of other spectators infected. In NZ, they had eradicated CV by sealing off the borders. They then allowed a Brit couple into the country on compassionate grounds to visit an ailing relative and this led to 7 new infections. They've not been able to get rid of the problem since. S. Korea thought they had eradicated it, and decided to reopen the night life. One person who was still infected visited several discos on reopening night, and within days, there were about 30 such cases linked to this "patient zero". 

R-numbers can never reflect any meaningful reality, because it depends on environmental issues, and particularly, close contact with other humans. Bearing in mind items such as population density, Delta would have a much lower value (if you want to put a value on it) in the Sahara than it would have in say a Filipino slum.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

I note that since this story, CCSA have adopted rapid antigen tests for international arrivals. I just want to know where the tests are done? Is it al the airport or at the hotel?

45 minutes ago, satpete said:

why at hotel if you have own or rented condo or visit friends at their homes,

test at airport must be done for those visitors I hope

Hotel - the subject of at least one separate thread.

On 11/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, Shark said:

look at the pancake lady she also was not properly educated on how to wear a mask or dress up it appears!

Oh we are truly thankful too.