Digital Nomad Visas

GigiDoll

I'm an ex-expat who spent a decade in Thailand, then had to move back to the UK when acquiring new visas became problematic.  Anyway I like many other people that i know would like to move back to the Kingdom where i actually feel more "at home" but am finding the process complicated & overwhelming.

Pattayamail Just published an article saying that Thailand is missing an opportunity regarding Digital nomads i think a good digital strategy is KEY to attract the next generation of Digital People to live & even work online as Digital expats in Thailand. So a Digital Visa is something i would strongly suggest to the TAT

Edited by Faz
removed unnecessary comment
  • Cool 1

Ecuador is a good spot. Only $400.00 month financial requirement to receive a 2 year VISA and then same requirement for a Permanent Residency. Financially it is comparable to live there as Thailand. Beach areas all along their eastern coast line. And... they are on the dollar there. 

I am an advocate for a remote worker visa program. It would be good for the economy. It would draw overseas income into Thailand to be spent here. The lack of a work permit means there would not be a burden on the social security system, or detract from any local jobs.

However, I do think that any remote worker visa has to be financially tested, or have some other prerequisites such as health insurance. I choose the world remote worker carefully. There are a lot of people in the digital nomad space who are really just backpacking you tubers living gig to gig, or wannabeprenteurs. 

Elite, Smart and employers of record are very ill fitting to the new normal of many highly paid people being able to live and work from anywhere.

9 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

It would be good for the economy. It would draw overseas income into Thailand to be spent here. 

Have seen this subject raised many times, yes they would live here permanently and pay their way including taxes. 

Your income supposedly is earnt in other countries and banked in other countries? So how does the the Thai Govt tax this income?

Just trying to get my head around this.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2021 at 7:03 PM, palooka said:

Have seen this subject raised many times, yes they would live here permanently and pay their way including taxes. 

Your income supposedly is earnt in other countries and banked in other countries? So how does the the Thai Govt tax this income?

Just trying to get my head around this.

It would not be the direct tax revenue of the remote worker, rather that their money would be spent in the local economy living day to day. That's money earned in another country and spent in Thailand, without impacting the local employment market.

That said, the tax situation in Thailand is really interesting and could be a draw card for some. https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2021/08/thailand-thinking-beyond-borders.html

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2021 at 7:18 AM, GigiDoll said:

I'm an ex-expat who spent a decade in Thailand, then had to move back to the UK when acquiring new visas became problematic.  Anyway I like many other people that i know would like to move back to the Kingdom where i actually feel more "at home" but am finding the process complicated & overwhelming.

Pattayamail Just published an article saying that Thailand is missing an opportunity regarding Digital nomads i think a good digital strategy is KEY to attract the next generation of Digital People to live & even work online as Digital expats in Thailand. So a Digital Visa is something i would strongly suggest to the TAT

You just got your wish!