On plane guy next to me has COVID, do I have to quarantine?

bangkokfrankie

hi all , long time reader first time poster here

what are the official rules on quarantine risk if someone next to me on the plane has COVID, do i have to quarantine? can anyone link me to the official government policy. is there a seat distance threshold such as the infected person needs to be seated within 3 seat radius / 3 meter radius for me to be quarantined? what about if i'm traveling in a group and someone in the group has COVID does the entire group need to be quarantined? 

any official links to government sources would be appreciated as I am planning a group trip to thailand  and am trying to understand the risks. 

Yes.  For how long? Hard to say as the rules keep changing and each ASQ Hotel seems to be different.

If anyone tests positive they are taken to a hospital for 'treatment' and kept there in isolation for 10-21 days - I think minimum of 10 days and until test negative.  Those sitting next to them must stay in quarantine at the ASQ Hotel for 7-10 days and I believe that 2 OCR tests are done. If they test positive in either of those tests, they are then taken to a hospital and undergo 'treatment' for 10-21 days.  

Thailand is not good at rules and regulations - it is very much a fluid thing. Talk to the Thailand Embassy in your home country for the latest info (and good luck with that).

Thailand seems to be hiding things like above because they want tourists to come - it is hard to get information.  Richard Barrow (local Thai expert) told a story about what happened to a family when the father tested positive.  Since his first report there has been no updates or further info - in fact it appears over 100 people have tested positive since the start and there is very little information about what happened to thewm and those nearby and how much it cost them. Some say the Junta Govt is enforcing a shut down on such negative information, but others say it is just because the new moon has not yet aligned with mars 😉 

https://www.getrevue.co/profile/richardbarrow/issues/the-nightmare-of-testing-positive-848695

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

Yes.  For how long? Hard to say as the rules keep changing and each ASQ Hotel seems to be different.

If anyone tests positive they are taken to a hospital for 'treatment' and kept there in isolation for 10-21 days - I think minimum of 10 days and until test negative.  Those sitting next to them must stay in quarantine at the ASQ Hotel for 7-10 days and I believe that 2 OCR tests are done. If they test positive in either of those tests, they are then taken to a hospital and undergo 'treatment' for 10-21 days.  

Thailand is not good at rules and regulations - it is very much a fluid thing. Talk to the Thailand Embassy in your home country for the latest info (and good luck with that).

Thailand seems to be hiding things like above because they want tourists to come - it is hard to get information.  Richard Barrow (local Thai expert) told a story about what happened to a family when the father tested positive.  Since his first report there has been no updates or further info - in fact it appears over 100 people have tested positive since the start and there is very little information about what happened to thewm and those nearby and how much it cost them. Some say the Junta Govt is enforcing a shut down on such negative information, but others say it is just because the new moon has not yet aligned with mars 😉 

https://www.getrevue.co/profile/richardbarrow/issues/the-nightmare-of-testing-positive-848695

PS - even though you might have the latest rules and regulations, if the Thai 'person of a authority' decides you have to do something, then you have to do something. There is no 'appeal process' and there is no one to complain to - perhaps the manager of the Hotel or Hospital. If you complain too much and become angry and difficult, then you risk being arrested and put in jail for a few days before a court appearance - and then good luck with being able to argue your case about your interpretation of the rules and regulations and that the Thai person was wrong.  Just dont do that - just do as you are instructed - you have no legal rights in Thailand and you cant and wont win. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

thanks for the info. im planning to group a group in april/may but need to understand the official government policy on the risk of quarantine first before making a decision. your news story is helpful thank you and sad to hear that official government sources are not readily available to confirm this information. 

• Thanks 1

you need to make sure that the covid insurance you buy covers asymptomatic cases,  ie sat next to someone on a taxi or plane

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bangkokfrankie said:

thanks for the info. im planning to group a group in april/may but need to understand the official government policy on the risk of quarantine first before making a decision. your news story is helpful thank you and sad to hear that official government sources are not readily available to confirm this information. 

No, there is no official government policy. There were a couple of cases early on of "quarantine by association" but the uproar that ensued stopped that policy instantly. Since then there have been no - not in the news, not on YouTube, not on Thai fora - of any other cases. So, if you test positive, you'll be hospitalized regardless of symptoms, if somebody you're traveling with tests positive you'll be quarantined due to long-term close contact, but if you're in 5C and test negative and the guy across the aisle in 5D tests positive you won't have an issue. @AussieBobhas a <slight> "agenda" as he doesn't seem to want anybody going to Thailand before he does. (Amirite, Reverend?)

7 hours ago, JamesE said:

No, there is no official government policy. There were a couple of cases early on of "quarantine by association" but the uproar that ensued stopped that policy instantly. Since then there have been no - not in the news, not on YouTube, not on Thai fora - of any other cases. So, if you test positive, you'll be hospitalized regardless of symptoms, if somebody you're traveling with tests positive you'll be quarantined due to long-term close contact, but if you're in 5C and test negative and the guy across the aisle in 5D tests positive you won't have an issue. @AussieBobhas a <slight> "agenda" as he doesn't seem to want anybody going to Thailand before he does. (Amirite, Reverend?)

I hear you James - but my only agenda is to tell people the facts (and my opinion) if they thinking of travelling to Thailand as a tourist for a short holiday (3-4 weeks). What you are saying is opinion based not on facts. These are just some of the facts: https://www.getrevue.co/profile/richardbarrow/issues/the-nightmare-of-testing-positive-848695  Check out Story 2 - about travelling with someone that tested positive. Richard Barrow is a long term Expat who was invited to UK by TAT to attend a Tourism Forum, and since he published those stories upon his return there has been no updates - nil - nada.  Why you may ask? Some say because he was told to 'be quiet'. Others say he is lazy. And others say 'He wrong, Thailand great, come come come - Bring money'. 

I will say this though James - if you can show me an official document that states someone sitting next to someone that tests positive will not be quarantined, whether in plane or in transport as happened to that guy in story 2, then I will back off and stop warning people that coming to Thailand right now is not as easy and open and free as TAT and others are saying to you. 

PS - look at the overseas ads being run by TAT. I have access to IPTV for UK and USA - the ads by TAT are running are blatant lies - Thailand is not 'open again'.   Many years ago that sort of deceptive practice worked - but not now because of social media - and people like me and Richard Barrow and many many others who speak up. 

Dont come to Thailand right now - for a short 3-4 week holiday - I should have added that last bit to the Post title.  Most of the people coming to Thailand now are returning Thais, Expats, Business and Family - and most of them are coming back for a long stay - in that case I think it is worth it.  But tourists - for a few weeks (especially with kids) - Wait. 

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

if you can show me an official document that states someone sitting next to someone that tests positive will not be quarantined,

But first, let's see you produce one that says they will.

The "news" source you quoted in your opening response is just some guy and when I went to his website and blog could find nothing that supported your assertion. So, if you don't have an official document, perhaps even a link to the story you're referring to would be a help for all parties.

Otherwise, do a search on any "imperative" + quarantine phuket, so "forced quarantine phuket" or "involuntary quarantine phuket" or any else you can think of. There is not a single example since the three incidents in July when the sandbox first opened. Pick another destination. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but you won't find anything that will do so because I've already looked. I await your many examples.

Meanwhile, people have to realize that they have a better chance of getting hit by a bus staying at home than they do being imprisoned in a two-week quarantine in Thailand.

You know, the best way to put all of this disagreement behind us would be for you to just man-up and fly to Thailand. You'll have a great time. I went in January - March under ASQ, it was great, I went in October to yesterday via the sandbox, it was even better. Now I'm planning my next trip. Should have it all booked within the week. Just do it, Bob.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, JamesE said:

But first, let's see you produce one that says they will.

The "news" source you quoted in your opening response is just some guy and when I went to his website and blog could find nothing that supported your assertion. So, if you don't have an official document, perhaps even a link to the story you're referring to would be a help for all parties.

Otherwise, do a search on any "imperative" + quarantine phuket, so "forced quarantine phuket" or "involuntary quarantine phuket" or any else you can think of. There is not a single example since the three incidents in July when the sandbox first opened. Pick another destination. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but you won't find anything that will do so because I've already looked. I await your many examples.

Meanwhile, people have to realize that they have a better chance of getting hit by a bus staying at home than they do being imprisoned in a two-week quarantine in Thailand.

You know, the best way to put all of this disagreement behind us would be for you to just man-up and fly to Thailand. You'll have a great time. I went in January - March under ASQ, it was great, I went in October to yesterday via the sandbox, it was even better. Now I'm planning my next trip. Should have it all booked within the week. Just do it, Bob.

We will - when they dont test on arrival and have a mandatory quarantine.  We are fully vaccinated and will be fully insured - they dont test Thais who drive into Bangkok or Phuket - why test us on arrival?

Read my article about Richard Narrow's story and note this fact (also in his newsletters) - he had a meeting with senior Thai Govt people after the article - and since then he has not mentioned the issue again - you wonder why? The Thai Junta Govt is 'encouraging' media outlets not to create discord and disharmony about tourism for the benefit of the Thai people.  Do you support the Junta? 

7 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Read my article about Richard Narrow's story and note this fact (also in his newsletters) - he had a meeting with senior Thai Govt people after the article - and since then he has not mentioned the issue again - you wonder why? The Thai Junta Govt is 'encouraging' media outlets not to create discord and disharmony about tourism for the benefit of the Thai people.  Do you support the Junta?

Again words about this Richard guy but no link to the story you reference in your other article. I call BS. And while the Thai government might be encouraging as you claim, it has no power over individuals in other countries who have returned from Thailand to report their horrid experiences with forced hospitalization and quarantine due to association with others. Those many (in your view) individuals should be lighting up YouTube and fora across the spectrum and all I hear is silence.

Not being a Thai citizen I can neither support nor battle against the Thai government. I've got no skin in the game. Besides, I've got my plate full with the fascists trying to take over the US right now.

On 11/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, cockneyboy said:

you need to make sure that the covid insurance you buy covers asymptomatic cases,  ie sat next to someone on a taxi or plane

I bought AXA Sawasdee Thailand through the site below.  It says asymptomatic coverage.  Just making sure I am covered for the above circumstance.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

• Like 3

10 hours ago, JamesE said:

Again words about this Richard guy but no link to the story you reference in your other article. I call BS. And while the Thai government might be encouraging as you claim, it has no power over individuals in other countries who have returned from Thailand to report their horrid experiences with forced hospitalization and quarantine due to association with others. Those many (in your view) individuals should be lighting up YouTube and fora across the spectrum and all I hear is silence.

Not being a Thai citizen I can neither support nor battle against the Thai government. I've got no skin in the game. Besides, I've got my plate full with the fascists trying to take over the US right now.

I have posted it many times - but just for you James:

Plus - a very quick search of the internet found this: 

"118 people have been put into compulsory hospital treatment between 1 and 22 Nov."  Add to that all the other people they were travelling with - they were not all single sexpat tourists, surely some with family/friends.  Plus add those they were sitting next to the person that tested positive on the plane.  The rules are very clear - test positive and you will be taken to hospital (mandatory) and sit next to someone that tested positive and you will be 'isolated' and tested again about 7 days later (mandatory). 

James it is real and it is happening.  Why do you think the CCSA was asked by TAT and declined to remove the PCR testing - And then less than a week later the CCSA agree to remove PCR testing and implement ATK testing??  

Edited by Faz
removed forbidden link

8 hours ago, AlexB said:

I bought AXA Sawasdee Thailand through the site below.  It says asymptomatic coverage.  Just making sure I am covered for the above circumstance.

https://asq.in.th/thailand-covid-insurance

Sorry mate - but I checked the actual policy words and the Ts and Cs - not just for you but for myself - and there is no wording for 'asymptomatic' coverage. The coverage is clearly for 'medical treatment' which does mean even if you are asymptomatic and get treatment is is covered, but there is nothing in the policy's Ts and Cs that says anything about mandatory stays in ASQ Hotels etc.    You are covered only for the 'medical treatment' in the policy details.

I know the 'advertisement' says 'asymptomatic coverage' but that means nothing - it is what is in the Ts and Cs that matters. The actual front page you gave which details all the packages on offer from different insurance companies states in the FAQS: 

What happens if I test positive?
If you test positive you will have to go to an AHQ hospital, and will be there for 14 days. Some of the more inexpensive policies will not cover you if you do not show symptoms. If you wish for the policy to cover both scenarios please look for policies which covers asymptomatic cases.

Sorry, but the Ts and Cs of that policy you said you got (AXA), does not mention the word 'asymptomatic'.