News Forum - Tourists and hotels warned about abuse of Covid-19 rules

Thaiger

The CCSA is dealing with complaints from locals, businesses, hotels and tourists about Covid-19 regulations not being followed. There has been a problem with tourists refusing to wear masks and follow Covid-19 safety regulations that are mandatory, and on the other side, hotels have been found to be not disclosing all Covid-19 related expenses in their booking cost, frustrating arriving travellers. TOURISTS BEHAVING BADLY As the 17 Blue Zone provinces have reopening for tourism, a certain subset of arriving tourists have been defiant regarding Covid-19 rules and regulations. Some completely ignore the rules set out by the Kingdom they just […]

The story Tourists and hotels warned about abuse of Covid-19 rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I guess tourist are fined for not wearing a mask and gathering in too large of groups, but hotels are only “warned” about having fraudulent and unlawful pricing with regard to the special Covid process 😕

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The CCSA is dealing with complaints from locals, businesses, hotels and tourists about Covid-19 regulations not being followed. There has been a problem with tourists refusing to wear masks and follow Covid-19 safety regulations that are mandatory, and on the other side, hotels have been found to be not disclosing all Covid-19 related expenses in their booking cost, frustrating arriving travellers. TOURISTS BEHAVING BADLY As the 17 Blue Zone provinces have reopening for tourism, a certain subset of arriving tourists have been defiant regarding Covid-19 rules and regulations. Some completely ignore the rules set out by the Kingdom they just […]

The story Tourists and hotels warned about abuse of Covid-19 rules as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

So corrupt hotels get "chided" while tourists get scammed and fined. Welcome.....

• Like 8

"Hotel and business operators have notified the CCSA that some of their customers refused to wear facemasks, while others insisted on dining together in large groups, which increases the risk of the virus spreading."

A--holes in Paradise.

Edited by Bangkok_Gary
  • Like 2

does this inept government also fine tourist for not wearing a mask ,whilst swimming or snorkelling or bathing on a beach ? be honest with the tourists so they can decide whether to visit or not

• Like 4

To be fair, wherever I go nowadays I ask about the regulations and extra costs. They are stupid for not gathering information in advance. 

Also these bunch of idiots will make expats look like what Anutin called 'dirty farang'. Almost all of us behaved very well during Covid, and that's now tossed into the bin thanks to their behavior. 

I don't think masks are necessary or something, especially outside. But it is what it is. They should know what they sogned up for. And that's mostly their own responsibility to ask.

• Like 3

This covid scenario is a comedy of errors.

It will never go away.  People are selfish and only care about themselves.

All over the world.  People don't want to wear masks, not get vaccinated.  Hotels are greedy.

Covid is here to stay.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, harry1 said:

does this inept government also fine tourist for not wearing a mask ,whilst swimming or snorkelling or bathing on a beach ? be honest with the tourists so they can decide whether to visit or not

On the beach no one actually cares. And these cases are most likely not even about the beach. It might probably be about out in the streets, markets, inside a 7eleven or so. 

If tourists gather information about a place before they travel there, they would actually know some of the do's and don't's. 

They shouldn't point their finger at others for not informing them. It's your own holiday, so whatever you have researched is your own responsibility. 

• Like 5

"The hotels were said to have advertised their room rate only, leaving guests frustrated to find that they had to pay for airport transfers and Covid-19 tests separately, driving up the price significantly"

Some hotels are kind enough to have a shuttle service for free. But most don't do this for free and won't include the price. Travelled a lot, never, NEVER, heard of that they automatically include the price. Just ask them some basic questions before you go. It's not rocket science. 

Covid-19 tests are not the hotel's responsibility so they are not required to inform people about it without being asked for it. And the money doesn't even go to that hotel; it goes to the ones who set up these places to test. So what is everyone moaning about hotels hiding costs to make profit? 

• Like 1

I’ve been in Bangkok twice in November.

I’ve followed every rule all the time and I haven’t seen any Falang not following the rules. It’s not only about following the rules, I try to minimize my risk to get infected by corona as much as possible anyway and everywhere, not only in Thailand. I wouldn’t go to a club in Bangkok even if they were open. 

Actually I’ve seen a couple of hundreds people not following the rules during my stays, but they were all Thai. And unlike the article I’m giving some facts: Party time at The Groove/Central world every afternoon and the market at the Lumphini park on Sundays. People close to each other, many without a mask. 

I don’t blame them for that, it’s their country. But there is no reason to write articles like that without mentioning any facts. That way it’s pure racism. 

55 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

TOURISTS!! Any of you reading this diatribe!! DO NOT COME TO THAILAND FOR YOUR HOLS!!!! There are way, way better places to go with a warm, honest and genuine welcome! Thailand has been branded the land of smiles!" Only because they "fake smile" and then stab you in the back as soon as you turn around!! 

BOYCOTT THIS COUNTRY until it understands fairness and integrity!! (which may be NEVER!!!)

Might be more beneficial for the society in the long of it. 

9 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

"The hotels were said to have advertised their room rate only, leaving guests frustrated to find that they had to pay for airport transfers and Covid-19 tests separately, driving up the price significantly"

Some hotels are kind enough to have a shuttle service for free. But most don't do this for free and won't include the price. Travelled a lot, never, NEVER, heard of that they automatically include the price. Just ask them some basic questions before you go. It's not rocket science. 

Covid-19 tests are not the hotel's responsibility so they are not required to inform people about it without being asked for it. And the money doesn't even go to that hotel; it goes to the ones who set up these places to test. So what is everyone moaning about hotels hiding costs to make profit? 

You maybe right before 2020 - but the under the new Thailand Pass system you got that wrong.  The rules for the mandatory overnight Hotels, are that the transport and pcr test must be included in the price.  When people found this out at the airport, if they tried to change to another Hotel, they refused to give a refund.  Sure there will have been some cases of misunderstandings, but the Thai Govt and CCSA has criticised the Hotels for not following the rules. 

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/ccsa-admits-some-hotels-are-scamming-thailand-pass-travellers

The Thailand tourist 'industry' has been so unregulated/uncontrolled for many decades, that they just automatically go back to their scamming ways.  Remember when Phuket first opened in July - the PM had to ask the taxi scammers to stop over-charging the tourists?  Remember that hotel that had a US tourist arrested and held over the weekend for writing a bad tripadviser report?  Although the Govt  tried to take action when all those Chinese died on an illegal over-loaded tourist boat, nothing really changed.  It has been like this for decades in Thailand - but people are becoming more and more 'informed' because of social media.  Thailand must get its tourist industry regualted and under control or they will never get back to what they used to have - there are more and better safer places in SEAsia these days - the 1990s are over for Thailand - they must change. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

I am planning a January trip

It takes all of 5 mins to understand what is required to enter Thailand.

So anyone that got "scammed" was trying to do it as cheap as possible and they booked a hotel without the necessary requirements involved.

There is no "scam"

Hotels don't just offer "test and go" packages, they are in normal business as well

And it's the tourist's repsonsibilty to book the needed package

• Thanks 2

Sorry but here we go again:

There has been a problem with tourists refusing to wear masks

What does the RTP do about it? I would say it's their job to enforce the law.
But if they start enforcing the law would they please also do the Thais whom are not wearing masks as much anymore.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The way i understand it is that the hotels get there certification by follow some rules they are only aloude to sell the the room include transfer and test for international travelers 

but people most know thai can not be trusted 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I am planning a January trip

It takes all of 5 mins to understand what is required to enter Thailand.

So anyone that got "scammed" was trying to do it as cheap as possible and they booked a hotel without the necessary requirements involved.

There is no "scam"

Hotels don't just offer "test and go" packages, they are in normal business as well

And it's the tourist's repsonsibilty to book the needed package

Absolutely. When you book on Agoda you have to select quarantine package at the top, not only look for SHA++ hotels. 

And it clearly says on Thailand Pass application that hotel booking must include PCR etc. 

So no sympathy for people complaining when they try to be clever, and then find out they were stupid. 

Furthermore, all these people saying how difficult it is to fulfill the requirements are talking nonsense. 

Insurance took me 2 minutes to arrange, hotel booking likewise. 

The actual application on TP takes about 10 minutes. I was approved in just over two hours. 

Extra costs were about £200. Half for the insurance and half for the hotel. Flight was no different in price to normal times, and in fact I actually got a great deal on business because it was only double the price on economy. 

If people can't afford an extra £200 they probably should think again about traveling half way around the world. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Absolutely. When you book on Agoda you have to select quarantine package at the top, not only look for SHA++ hotels. 

And it clearly says on Thailand Pass application that hotel booking must include PCR etc. 

So no sympathy for people complaining when they try to be clever, and then find out they were stupid. 

Furthermore, all these people saying how difficult it is to fulfill the requirements are talking nonsense. 

The actual application on TP takes about 10 minutes. I was approved in just over two hours. 

Extra costs were about £200. Half for the insurance and half for the hotel. Flight was no different in price to normal times, and in fact I actually got a great deal on business because it was only double the price on economy. 

If people can't afford an extra £200 they probably should think again about traveling half way around the world. 

And the thing is, although the 1st night Test&Go is expensive, if you are staying in Thailand for even a 2 week trip, you make up those 1st night costs in great hotel rates the rest of the trip

• Like 1

One of the biggest competitor country, Dominican Republic:

"Most travelers do not need to present a negative COVID-19 test upon arrival to enter the Dominican Republic. Airports and other ports of entry will perform a quick, aleatory breath test to a percentage of passengers, and all those who present symptoms, upon arrival. Passengers under the age of five and crew members are exempt from this procedure. Passengers who present a vaccination card no less than 3 weeks after the last dose was placed or a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival in the Dominican Republic will be exempted from the random test. All passengers will also need to perform a temperature check.

Note: It is not required to present the vaccination card upon arrival in the Dominican Republic, to enter the resorts, establishments and tourist transportation regulated by the Ministry of Tourism. However, it is required to present the vaccination card with 2 doses of the vaccine applied or PCR test performed at least 7 days before to enter establishments outside the hotels and tourism complexes. Therefore, visitors over 12 years of age must carry their vaccination card with them to leave the tourism complexes or resorts"

Which one tourists will choose, Thailand with cumbersome approval process with bars and clubs closed or countries like Dominican Republic with bars and clubs open? The choice is obvious.

• Like 2

government is destroying tourism in Thailand,
results they will see in December 2022, but then it is too late

many already poor families will loose everything
because of no works like in Pattaya tourism

• Like 3

That's because people don't want to go on holiday and walk around in masks all day.... and anyway do they make any difference...I don't think so...in UK, where's the place where masks are worn most... hospital, where did most infections take place... hospital... enough said

• Like 2

Watch out for "false positive" during PCR-test on arrival. If you positive and asymptomatic even vaccinated, and those hotel and medical staff tell you that to quarantine at the hospital instead of SHA/ASQ hotel. More likely, you get scammed already and they will get money out of your insurance. Just to make sure to buy the COVID-19 insurance in Thailand & not outside Thailand or else you will ending up paying B350K coming from your pocket. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Very frustrating for all those farangs that cannot read the instructions properly. How the heck the Thailand Pass approved them if there is no PCR-testing and transportation pick-up on their booking? I don't get it.

• Like 2