News Forum - How non-native English speakers can teach in Thailand

Thaiger

Thailand is a land of many opportunities. For native English speakers, it can be a pot of gold when it comes to teaching jobs that are available. For those who aren’t native English speakers, there is still opportunities to teach in Thailand. And, you can even get a job teaching English, despite not being fluent or a native speaker. Even if you aren’t from the countries of England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States, you can still be a native English speaker. And, if you are from those countries but were born speaking a different […]

The story How non-native English speakers can teach in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Wales,

for the Thais who are absolutely crap at Scrabble learn abit of Welsh instead .. you'll soon see the similarities .. 

• Haha 1

This is something I love to do, purely and simply because language can be a barrier or a bridge. I would love to see every child in Thailand and in my own country have the opportunity to learn another language. It breaks down barriers between peoples. The younger we start, the better the outcome. As to which language is learned, a spectrum of languages would serve Thailand well. Many learn english or mandarin as they are the most widely spoken in the world. But a spectrum of languages would serve the country better. 

Thais haven't learned much from Bob from UK cuz Bob was a broke mason from Glasgow and needs to live. He came to Thailand and Bob's now a teacher. Bob's blond and has blue eyes and that's qualifications one needs to be a teacher in Thailand. It's true look at the ads. They want European non native speakers to teach English. It's how stupid it is. Thais will learn much better when taught by native speakers from everywhere. All that glitters isn't gold. What do you say eh?

• Like 1

Anyone who is fluent in two languages should be able to find work teaching or translating. Regardless of where they where born or country of origin.  Just as long as they are fluent in both the language they teach and the native language of their students/clients.

Same as I would never take Thai language speaking classes from a non-fluent Thai speaker (but my teacher could be native to Germany, or any other non-native English speaking country, as far as I'm concerned).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Most native English speakers, teachers included, speak only 1 language and basically their job would be to teach people how to speak a second language... It's like teaching to swim when you can't swim yourself, but you have learnt the moves by heart. I have learnt to speak other languages in my adult years. I remember all the difficulties and obstacles that native speaker never experienced, and are totally clueless about.

PS. students will never ever get the accent of their teacher. If you're a Martian, your teacher might be from London or Zagreb, you'll speak English all your life with a Martian accent 

On 11/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, Jason said:

This is something I love to do, purely and simply because language can be a barrier or a bridge. I would love to see every child in Thailand and in my own country have the opportunity to learn another language. It breaks down barriers between peoples. The younger we start, the better the outcome. As to which language is learned, a spectrum of languages would serve Thailand well. Many learn english or mandarin as they are the most widely spoken in the world. But a spectrum of languages would serve the country better. 

My wife lived in Italy for a few years

We were out at a bar/restaurant and this Italian was having an issue with the staff and they couldn't understand him, he and the staff were getting frustrated.

My wife went up and spoke to him in Italian and the whole place turned in amazement that this Thai girl appeared out of nowhere to speak Italian  :)