Is wearing a face mask mandatory anywhere and everywhere in Chiang Rai province? Does this apply nationally? Thanks in advance.

Soloman

Is it mandatory to wear a face mask while out walking in town or on a motorcycle within city limits as well as out in the countryside?  

Probably is but IMO some common sense kicks in and whats the point wearing a face mask in the bush or places with nobody around for miles.

• Like 1

Thanks fro your reply.  I checked Bangkok Post yesterday after posting this question and found a couple of news items pointing the finger on foreign visitors among the worse offenders.  The fine is a maximum of 20,000B but that’s for repeat offenders.  First offenders can expect to be fined 1,000B.  According to the article face mask is required in public and public places.  That would include walking in the street where there are people around.  I don’t want to run the risk of a fine nor do I want to offend the locals so I now wear a mask as soon as I step outside my room.  I do the same on my motorbike after noticing that that is the norm.  Best not rock the boat.  I’m just glad to escape the European winter and be allowed to enter Thailand.  

• Like 2

Since youre already there, id love to get your input on whats going on in terms of covid. 

How severe are they with the masks? did you feel like the moment you touch your mask someone will seek to fine you?

Also how are the locals? are they friendly? or are they in desperation mode and getting a little dangerous?

Lastly, did you do the 1night test and go package when entering? how was the procedure? Im looking at some hotels and theyre quite expensive compared to the regular price expected in thailand.

Good morning, yes the locals here in CR take wearing masks very seriously and I have been reminded at least once.  I think it’s a good thing and as a foreigner we should respect this.  This is my 5th or more time here, the last in 2019. The locals are fine and are as friendly as on the past. CR is very subdued with a number of tourists oriented places like bars, guest houses, resorts, and night markets closed.  Some bars are still open.  Massage places are open too. Re entry into thailand process at BKK Sumi?? Airport, pls refer to Google Maps review that I recently posted.  The cheapest package I found 3999B was through Khao San Art Hotel.  You MUST buy a package and upload a copy of the receipt with your Travel Pass application. Read my review on Khao San Art to be prepared what to expect.  Good luck.  Ed aka Soloman. 

4 hours ago, NavsTL said:

Since youre already there, id love to get your input on whats going on in terms of covid. 

How severe are they with the masks? did you feel like the moment you touch your mask someone will seek to fine you?

Also how are the locals? are they friendly? or are they in desperation mode and getting a little dangerous?

Lastly, did you do the 1night test and go package when entering? how was the procedure? Im looking at some hotels and theyre quite expensive compared to the regular price expected in thailand.

Its really up to the individual person as to whether they wear a mask or not whilst walking the streets , although you may get people crossing the road to avoid you if you don't wear a mask .

You are required to wear masks in shops and on public transport , and you may get the odd security guard telling you to wear a mask if you aren't wearing one .

There is no animosity towards foreigners and no hint of violent attacks . although some locals do tend to be a bid sad and glum due to the covid situation .

Many shops,  hotels and restaurants have closed down so theres not much variety , sometimes cannot find anything to eat due to everything being closed 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NavsTL said:

Since youre already there, id love to get your input on whats going on in terms of covid

In Chiang Rai, some Schools have closed this week due to Covid outbreaks and a 300 bedroom hotel is full of people with Covid/ quarantining and there may be more   

Thanks for the warning.  Maybe it’s very timely to give CR a wide berth until things settle down.  Just as well I’m planning to do a 2 week road trip SW towards Mae Hong Son leaving tomorrow on the wee Honda 😁

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Soloman said:

Thanks for the warning.  Maybe it’s very timely to give CR a wide berth until things settle down.  Just as well I’m planning to do a 2 week road trip SW towards Mae Hong Son leaving tomorrow on the wee Honda 😁

I personally do not think that its a good idea to be travelling around  unnecessarily as you may spread the virus around .  

• Like 1

I think the chances of someone like myself, a solo traveller that eats and drinks on his own, double vaccinated, and double PCR tested in that last three weeks, practices social distancing and wears a mask all the time, being a spreader is at the lowest end of the scale.  Whether I remain in CR or travel elsewhere is not going to make any difference.  Of course that’s just a personal opinion.  New Covid cases reported here on Thaiger for Wednesday showed CR 32 and Mae Hong Son 23 at the provincial level.  Hope it keeps going down.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soloman said:

Of course that’s just a personal opinion.

True, and as we all know, irrelevant. There is no flexibility for farangs, something many need to understand around the Pattaya area. Still a lot wandering around with no mask, or one around their chin, or illegal drinking. Deportation seems appropriate for these idiots.  

• Like 3

On 11/26/2021 at 11:25 AM, Soloman said:

I think the chances of someone like myself, a solo traveller that eats and drinks on his own, double vaccinated, and double PCR tested in that last three weeks, practices social distancing and wears a mask all the time, being a spreader is at the lowest end of the scale.  Whether I remain in CR or travel elsewhere is not going to make any difference.  Of course that’s just a personal opinion.  New Covid cases reported here on Thaiger for Wednesday showed CR 32 and Mae Hong Son 23 at the provincial level.  Hope it keeps going down.  

Enjoy and stay safe

• Like 1