News Forum - Too many wires: Prayut says he wants communication cables underground

Thaiger

A bit late for a rant about cables. The government has had decades to instagate a mandate to the comms companies to place the cables underground, however, TIT and nothing will change while brown envelopes dictate policies regarding this matter.

22 hours ago, AussieBob said:

When things go wrong too many times, the Junta 'Art of the Politician' states to change the subject.

922413487_deflection1.jpg.2830cd89ee8e30fd1c2826b133bffeb8.jpg

That's what it's about - manipulative sleight-of-hand. 

With a mix of Thainess.

34 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

if Thailand do not have money for vaccines, i doubt they have the financial capability for maintaining a underground cabling system. Talk is cheap

What also worries me is that if they do undertake such a program for the power lines, will there be an increased danger of electrocutions when it floods.  We all know that some of those power lines are tapped into by the locals for free electricity.  OK for the communications cables - but I hope they keep the power cables up on the poles. 

Sorry but the thought of electrical power lines running underground in flood prone areas doesn't sit well with me, Thais are known to short cut any job and I see no reason they would do a first rate job of marinizing the cables underground.  May be a few "shocks" in store here. :)

• Like 1
  • Cool 1

5 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

What also worries me is that if they do undertake such a program for the power lines, will there be an increased danger of electrocutions when it floods.  We all know that some of those power lines are tapped into by the locals for free electricity.  OK for the communications cables - but I hope they keep the power cables up on the poles. 

I'm trying to fathom out how there could be a danger of electrocution with underground power cables?

The risk is when someone's body comes into contact with a power source and their body completes the path to earth.
As the cables are already underground. no one can touch them, plus the cables are already in the ground, so if there was some leakage current it would be from the power cable underground into the earth around it, eventually tripping the breaker.
Or have I missed something obvious?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm trying to fathom out how there could be a danger of electrocution with underground power cables?

The risk is when someone's body comes into contact with a power source and their body completes the path to earth.
As the cables are already underground. no one can touch them, plus the cables are already in the ground, so if there was some leakage current it would be from the power cable underground into the earth around it, eventually tripping the breaker.

Do they have "working breakers" here or did they save a few baht and bought the cheap  one?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Someone has illegally tapped into the power cables underground and screwed it up and it all goes wrong when the wife turns on the heater - live wire in water and someone walking in the water - not for long yes, but long enough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AussieBob said:

Someone has illegally tapped into the power cables underground and screwed it up and it all goes wrong when the wife turns on the heater - live wire in water and someone walking in the water - not for long yes, but long enough.

I'm still not following you?
'live wire in water' do you mean the water your wife is in using in the shower, or the water in the underground cable?

If it's the shower, then the shower as well as your house house should have an ELCB which would cut off immediately even with a very small current to earth.
Not that I can see how that's going to happen anyway, where's the stray current coming from?

If you mean someone outside walking in the water and the cable becomes live, how does that affect the person walking in the water?
The only current flowing is going to be from the faulty cable connection, to earth, as the person walking isn't touching the cable, but just walking in the water. There's no current flowing through the person walking at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Do they have "working breakers" here or did they save a few baht and bought the cheap  one?

It's PEA/MEA jurisdiction, but somewhere back along the line it will trip - OK after starting a fire somewhere in the meantime.
Look on the bright side, the heavy rain causing the problem will undoubtedly put out the fire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

house should have an ELCB which would cut off immediately even with a very small current to earth.

Think in our village of 100 houses+ you may find 3 genuine ELCB boards, there are look alike boards but they have no cut outs and of course they are much cheaper to buy so they buy them, some don't buy them, they just "jerry rig" everything. 

I'm not even sure if there are genuine qualified electricians, some seem to work with a "electrician" for a few years and then work on their own.  Maybe in Bangkok and other large metro areas they have qualified tradies but around here it is hit and miss and a lot of illegal tapping electricity goes on so putting it underground just makes it harder to detect. 

A farmer wants to drain his field he'll just start digging a trench, he doesn't think what's under the earth, all he cares about is getting rid of the water. Out of sight means it doesn't exist to many or if it did, that was last year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

If the cables leak electricity it's not just to the ground around them. they will be in plastic piping and the water will transfer the electricity.. if you walk near the leak or where the electrified water comes out of the plastic pipe then you will have a bad time.. same as dropping a toaster into the bath ..the bath may be earthed but you still get the full shock of electricity.. same electricity in swimming pools..

below to a link of a guy just walking in flood water where there is an underground electricity leak

https://m.timesofindia.com/videos/city/lucknow/on-cam-man-gets-electric-shock-while-walking-on-waterlogged-street-in-ups-bulandshahr/videoshow/85857425.cms

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I'm still not following you?
'live wire in water' do you mean the water your wife is in using in the shower, or the water in the underground cable?

If it's the shower, then the shower as well as your house house should have an ELCB which would cut off immediately even with a very small current to earth.
Not that I can see how that's going to happen anyway, where's the stray current coming from?

If you mean someone outside walking in the water and the cable becomes live, how does that affect the person walking in the water?
The only current flowing is going to be from the faulty cable connection, to earth, as the person walking isn't touching the cable, but just walking in the water. There's no current flowing through the person walking at all.

Electrocution In Water: Everything You Need To Know.

https://www.electrocuted.com/electrocution-in-water/

• Like 3

On 11/23/2021 at 5:18 PM, Prosaap said:

Half off them are not in use also if there is a problem they just make a new wire if they forced to take away the one not in use it look beter already

Becsuse they don't know which cable is which cable or which cable is the defect cable. No numbers, no plan, no coulours. Interesting is they not even know which cable is legal and which not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HiuMak said:

if Thailand do not have money for vaccines, i doubt they have the financial capability for maintaining a underground cabling system. Talk is cheap

Yes it is the same Clown talking and no brainer like Thailand is now Singapore, Monacco for high end tourists. Abra cadabra sim salabim. BLAH BLAH BLAH

• Haha 1

OK, I stand corrected after reading the last two posts mentioning this.
Some of the swimming pool events I could understand, if for example, someone in the water then used a metal ladder, or touched something else.

Now I'm interested in how the guy in the Times Of India video clip was electrocuted. What did he stand on for that to happen? I wonder if it was a cable laying on the ground for example?

2 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

if you walk near the leak or where the electrified water comes out of the plastic pipe then you will have a bad time

I take your point about that, although I'd be interested to know about installations where this happens. I'm looking from an electrical point of view of how the path is completed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bluesofa said:

OK, I stand corrected after reading the last two posts.
Some of the swimming pool events I could understand, if for example, someone in the water then used a metal ladder, or touched something else.

Now I'm interested in how the guy in the Times Of India video clip was electrocuted. What did he stand on for that to happen? I wonder if it was a cable laying on the ground for example?

I take your point about that, although I'd be interested to know about installations where this happens. I'm looking from an electrical point of view of how the path is completed.

This happens often in Thailand that someone get elctroluted. I am a bit surprised about your questions. Another example why do you think people sometimes get elctroluted when their ground floor is flooded or by this water heaters in the shower. Simple answer water and electricity. Some get electroluted because they are sitting in the bathtop and their hairdryer falled into the water. Your questions are strange and I dont wanted to write put your hairdryer into your bathtop and look what happen because I am not sure if you not try it. Don't do this experiment or any experiment with water and electricity! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

OK, I stand corrected after reading the last two posts mentioning this.

I'm really not a 100% but if the cable underground has a broken insulation then a limited amount of water around will conduct the electricity that will cause muscle spasm if you come into contact.. further away from the source will result in less electrical flow .. similar to an overhead railway line if to touch the cable you will get a belt but you can walk on the track with nothing happening 

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Think in our village of 100 houses+ you may find 3 genuine ELCB boards, there are look alike boards but they have no cut outs and of course they are much cheaper to buy so they buy them, some don't buy them, they just "jerry rig" everything. 

I'm not even sure if there are genuine qualified electricians, some seem to work with a "electrician" for a few years and then work on their own.  Maybe in Bangkok and other large metro areas they have qualified tradies but around here it is hit and miss and a lot of illegal tapping electricity goes on so putting it underground just makes it harder to detect. 

A farmer wants to drain his field he'll just start digging a trench, he doesn't think what's under the earth, all he cares about is getting rid of the water. Out of sight means it doesn't exist to many or if it did, that was last year.

And most of those boards are not actually earthed. We rented a place in a Land and Houses gated village in Chiang Mai - all quality stuff etc. BUT the board was not earthed properly - I pulled out the cheap 'green' wire that was basically sitting on the ground. I installed a proper earth cable connected to an earth rod that went down about 60 cms.  Then we had to turn on and off every power point and connection to test and validate which safety switch was for what group of connections. The wiring and safety switching was all good, but they were all labelled wrong - every one - unbelievable.   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I'm really not a 100% but if the cable underground has a broken insulation then a limited amount of water around will conduct the electricity that will cause muscle spasm if you come into contact.. further away from the source will result in less electrical flow .. similar to an overhead railway line if to touch the cable you will get a belt but you can walk on the track with nothing happening 

I hear what you are saying, but my original point was that besides being installed cheaply and incorrectly, there are a lot of 'cowboys' in Thailand that will try and illegally connect to the power cables - they currently do it all the time.  There have been many deaths in Thailand from people coming into contact with illegally connected wiring - and also from poorly installed wiring.  With anything electric in Thailand always be very very careful - never even touch a metal pole in the footpath. I remember when a tourist died a few years back doing just that, and a kid died who was digging in the sand at a beach - lots of others too. 

Put the internet and comms in the ground - but I hope they dont try to do the power cables. And if they do, then be very very careful when there is lots of rain/flooding. 

• Like 3