News Forum - Hundreds arrested, thousands of motorbikes seized in street racing crackdown

Thaiger

In a nationwide, 10-day crackdown on illegal street racing, Thai police arrested nearly 1,000 people and confiscated around 20,000 motorbikes and cars. The National News Bureau of Thailand reports that the Thai government is also pushing to amend the Land Traffic Act to include an “attempted racing” offense for gathering near public roads to participate in races. Royal Thai Police Deputy Commissioner Damrongsak Kittipraphat says PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has ordered the police to crack down on street racers. In the 10-day effort, a total of 922 people were arrested. Many teenagers under 18 were involved in illegal racing and 2,575 […]

The story Hundreds arrested, thousands of motorbikes seized in street racing crackdown as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

28 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And on day 11 everything will go back to what it was...

sounds like it in my condo, was a quiet week for a change at nights

2 minutes ago, AlexPTY said:

sounds like it in my condo, was a quiet week for a change at nights

Well, you could turn your engine off. Or park your bike outside 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Thai police ………… confiscated around 20,000 motorbikes and cars.

Was this confiscated by new police officer in charge …. Vespa Joe! ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

So do the police sell the seized bikes and cars and do something positive with the funds? Or do we crush them in a public crushing event? Either way, 1 day blitzes are all well and good, but it needs to be a continuos effort by police. 

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

And on day 11 everything will go back to what it was...

Just take them away and put them in the crusher, publicly, that will deter others.  

2 minutes ago, gummy said:

Just take them away and put them in the crusher, publicly, that will deter others.  

When it's claimed that the Thai can't pay their fine, but can own a bike, I said exactly that to a friend yesterday. 

Impound the bike until they can pay the fine and show the helmet and insurance papers.

Only then will you change attitude and safety.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gummy said:

I got stopped 3 times yesterday around South phuket. the 3rd time I told them this is the 3rd time! I then questioned why only felang being stopped!  He told me sorry I can leave.. so I asked again why thais without helmets are not being stopped? his boss came over said sorry sir but please go and have a nice day! 

• Haha 1

Just now, Malc-Thai said:

I got stopped 3 times yesterday around South phuket. the 3rd time I told them this is the 3rd time! I the questioned why only felang being stopped!  He told me sorry I can leave.. so I asked again why thais without helmets are not being stopped his boss came over said sorry sir but please go and have a nice day! 

Yep just hoping foreigners will fall for their scams.  

6 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

I got stopped 3 times yesterday around South phuket. the 3rd time I told them this is the 3rd time! I then questioned why only felang being stopped!  He told me sorry I can leave.. so I asked again why thais without helmets are not being stopped? his boss came over said sorry sir but please go and have a nice day! 

next time make a recording of this. It's even more funny.
the chalong round-a-bout has been known for mai fair treatment throughout many years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Shark said:

next time make a recording of this. It's even more funny.
the chalong round-a-bout has been known for mai fair treatment throughout many years.

It was roadblock top end bangla road 1st.. chalong roundabout 2nd ! the cop run out from the shade! And karon roadblock on way back to patong.. because I had hat and mask they just wanted to check my driving license as thais 3 no hats or masks on a bike went past!  I'm going to have to buy a go pro put on my hat!

50 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

It was roadblock top end bangla road 1st.. chalong roundabout 2nd ! the cop run out from the shade! And karon roadblock on way back to patong.. because I had hat and mask they just wanted to check my driving license as thais 3 no hats or masks on a bike went past!  I'm going to have to buy a go pro put on my hat!

the moment I've bought a GoPro it resulted into me no longer being questioned. With a Camera everything becomes less interesting... however... if your driving without a helmet... be just fair and pay the fine. I mean if your wrong, your wrong.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Shark said:

the moment I've bought a GoPro it resulted into me no longer being questioned. With a Camera everything becomes less interesting... however... if your driving without a helmet... be just fair and pay the fine. I mean if your wrong, your wrong.

Will look at getting a camera.. Had helmet mask so they call it a licence check now. Again no problem. and yes totally agree on take the fine if your in the wrong.. but just annoying it's selective law enforcement.. who has money gets stopped ! 

20 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

Will look at getting a camera.. Had helmet mask so they call it a licence check now. Again no problem. and yes totally agree on take the fine if your in the wrong.. but just annoying it's selective law enforcement.. who has money gets stopped ! 

How big is your bike? I've got a camera for sale...

49ff396d473ae01329eed70c1b6bd8aa.jpg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

You been making movies again on only fans and now having to sell🤣🤣

Time for an upgrade. This one doesn't have a micro-SD slot and it's too heavy to hold for the close-ups 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Impound the bike until they can pay the fine and show the helmet and insurance papers.

They do.

Seized bikes also have to be returned to original / unmodified / roadworthy condition so it's seldom worth it.

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

They do.

Seized bikes also have to be returned to original / unmodified / roadworthy condition so it's seldom worth it.

Maybe need a few more stops then .. pretty crazy here some days 3 kids on one bike racing another 3 on another bike.. also the speed they drive past.. even racing past police on bikes and not stopped

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc-Thai said:

Maybe need a few more stops then .. pretty crazy here some days 3 kids on one bike racing another 3 on another bike.. also the speed they drive past.. even racing past police on bikes and not stopped

Ditto locally - racing in the "superman" position, lying down, is the position of choice and  there are no police on bikes to overtake here.

Unless it's controlled on a regular basis and the direction to the police is there, it's never going to stop.

• Like 1