News Forum - Thailand’s Health Ministry vows to get tough with people who won’t get vaccinated

Thaiger

37 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

They had to go at 6 am and check in to get a number.. then wait until 9am start times, so in theory 3 hours early to just get a ticket number but I have no idea why such a long time.. I just remember when they came back hungry and angry from the wait..

The penny's dropped about the wait while I was commenting.  I'd put money on it that they'd eaten before they went or after they got their queue number, and so they had to wait at least eight hours without eating for a blood test, which would be standard, although you can eat before a TB skin test - that would explain why they were hungry!

If I'm going for my usual quarterly check up I aim to arrive around 7.30 and that puts me in the first few, seeing the doctor by 9.30 at the latest but usually around 9.00 (time to go for breakfast), but if I'm having a blood test and so can't eat I arrive later as there's usually no queue to take blood, wait maybe a maximum of half an hour, and then after the test there's an hour to go and eat before returning to see the doctor for the results.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stonker said:

Hardly a "false claim", but a simple mistake as I read it was on the main Khon Kaen road.

If the nearest school is only 15 kilometres away then what's the problem?

Regardless of how many school age children there are in the village, it's still only 15 kms away as is the market.

Are you seriously saying that these people are capable of living off subsistence farming, and what children there are travelling the 15 kms on the school bus / pick up every day, but they can't travel that 15 kms?   Or that no medical staff ever go to see anyone in the village, while in Loei the medical staff routinely visit those who need it in villages twenty or more kms away, as does the physiotherapist from the hospital as a matter of routine?

This is the exact words that I wrote and it is quite clear that you either cannot read or you deliberately mis-quoted what I wrote. No where have I written it is located on the main Khon Kaen road and nowhere did I write that it was in Khon Kaen as you falsely assumed in a previous mis-quote by you of what I wrote.

"The photo is an example of the type of small villages I am talking about and some of them are even smaller than this one. This one is located in the Kalasin Province about 25 - 30 kilometres off the main road from Khon Kaen to Kalasin and their closest hospitals are Yang Talat or Chiang Yuen and it is places like these that this government is forgetting about with the vaccinations. What is needed is for vehicles to be set up to go around these small villages and vaccinate the people."

You do not know what you are talking about with regards to what happens in this area because you are from Loei Province and that is a long way from Kalasin Province. As the regards to the children and the school bus, there is no school bus because there is only a couple of school aged children in the village and they are taken to school on motorbikes by their mothers but even then there are not many motorbikes in the village either as most of the people that live there are over 60 and their families have moved away to other larger areas for work and taken their children with them and the oldies have been left in the village to tend to the farm. So Stonker you have got no idea what you are talking about and you do not know what it is like in these small farming villages in Kalasin Province.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shark said:

Look @AussieBob, I'm still realistically optimistic, but can only be optimistic if more and more people are getting vaccinated - As current numbers in Thailand are simply not sufficient. That the ministry wants to act upon this makes all the sense in the world. Mandatory vaccinations for a free life - If you don't want to vaccinate you'll have restrictions which is your choice then.

I'm also not that optimistic that it will cover 100% but at-least enough that the virus mutates itself out of existence.

We agree 100% on most things, but I reckon it should not be compulsory because it sets a bad precedent for the future.  But IMO there should be mandatory exclusions for those who chose not to get vaccinated - they should not be allowed to be with/near others in certain situations while the pandemic continues.  When WHO declares that it is over, then those exclusions would be lifted - not until then.   

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, AussieBob said:

We agree 100% on most things, but I reckon it should not be compulsory because it sets a bad precedent for the future.  But IMO there should be mandatory exclusions for those who chose not to get vaccinated - they should not be allowed to be with/near others in certain situations while the pandemic continues.  When WHO declares that it is over, then those exclusions would be lifted - not until then.   

And we still remember how he advocated the moderna scam attacked the one who were sceptical. These people are now without vaccine and now he advocates to punish them. What an ugly character he has it is shown again. It is incredible.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Russell said:

This is the exact words that I wrote and it is quite clear that you either cannot read or you deliberately mis-quoted what I wrote. No where have I written it is located on the main Khon Kaen road and nowhere did I write that it was in Khon Kaen as you falsely assumed in a previous mis-quote by you of what I wrote.

Jesus H Christ.

It was a simple minor mistake, which I was quite happy to admit to as soon as it was pointed out, which I did.  If you want to make a big deal about people making mistakes which they're happy to admit to as soon as they're pointed out then knock yourself out.

... FWIW, though, you did actually write "This one is located in the Kalasin Province about 25 - 30 kilometres off the main road from Khon Kaen to Kalasin" (my bold), so if that "main road" isn't "the main Khon Kaen road" then maybe you need to think about what you write yourself if you want to get so anal retentive with others.

28 minutes ago, Russell said:

You do not know what you are talking about with regards to what happens in this area because you are from Loei Province and that is a long way from Kalasin Province.

I've never claimed to or suggested I do in any way, so maybe you're the one who needs to re-read what was written.

What I've said on this flicking through my posts is "... at least in my province", and " Are you seriously saying ... that no medical staff ever go to see anyone in the village, while in Loei the medical staff routinely visit those who need it in villages twenty or more kms away, as does the physiotherapist from the hospital as a matter of routine? ", and that "I simply don't find it credible that healthcare is so much better in Loei, which isn't exactly the centre of the world or a medical hub, than it is in Kalasin when the villages are no further away from schools, markets and district health centres, and the population density in Loei is 61 people per sq km, at 68th one of the least densely populated provinces in Thailand, while in Kalasin it's 142 people per sq km, more than double that, at 29th."

That seems pretty clear, and to make the limits of my knowledge of Kalasin pretty clear too.

39 minutes ago, Russell said:

As the regards to the children and the school bus, there is no school bus because there is only a couple of school aged children in the village and they are taken to school on motorbikes by their mothers but even then there are not many motorbikes in the village either as most of the people that live there are over 60 and their families have moved away to other larger areas for work and taken their children with them and the oldies have been left in the village to tend to the farm.

So the families have left "the oldies" to fend for themselves in a few (20) huts in the fields 15 kms away from the nearest market, with what looks like no electricity or water apart from a few very small water tanks, with barely a motorbike between them?

... and the few who do have a motorbike are happy to take their children to school 15 kms away every day and to bring them back, but not to take "the oldies" to the school / market to be vaccinated?

... and to not give those children there the chance of any on-line learning during Covid closures as there's apparently no internet available?

... and no medical staff ever visit "the oldies" as they do elsewhere in Thailand?

Thank God I live in Loei where families take care of each other and the medical staff take an interest, not Kalasin where apparently they just dump "the oldies" and unwanted children to fend for themselves and forget about them.

57 minutes ago, Russell said:

So Stonker you have got no idea what you are talking about ...

Well ... maybe "It is a pity that you don't bother to read a persons post before you make incorrect observations public" (that's your own comment, by the way, so there should be no problem about my putting it in bold to highlight it).

41 minutes ago, Stardust said:

And we still remember how he advocated the moderna scam attacked the one who were sceptical. These people are now without vaccine and now he advocates to punish them. What an ugly character he has it is shown again. It is incredible.

As I said elsewhere:

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

If I've understood you correctly, and you're referring to me, what I actually said was that if you don't think your life's worth risking 3,000 baht for and you don't buy Moderna because of that then you don't put much value on your life.

No "advocated the moderna scam" and no "attacked the one who were sceptical".

A number of off topic, misleading, misinformative posts have been removed as well as the replies.

Attempts have been made to move this topic in another direction breaching forum guidelines.
One persons membership has been revoked.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AussieBob said:

So after totally screwing up the vaccine rollout, the Junta (via their Bureaucrats) are warning people to get vaccinated 'or else'. There is no way the people of Thailand are going to forget what this Government has done - the outcome of the elections in 2023 are going to be a turning point in the politics of Thailand for the next few decades - one way or the other. 

I'd like to think that payback will be forthcoming in 2023, but that will only last until the next coup.

Worse still, the Military may take a leaf out of the Myanmar Juntas book, and eventually set up a system of government where nothing gets done without the approval of the military.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shark said:

To be honest, this 3rd shot or booster so far has only been available for/to double Sinovac vaccinated and proof in the world is that many vaccines and not only Covid19 think Tetanus Vaccination for example it in Thailand also comes in 3 doses and has been proven more effective then in countries where just 2 doses are admitted.

The rest of the world is already getting ready for 3rd booster which if all is right should be good for 1+ year.
We were dreaming about a vaccine that covered Flu and Covid19 this now appears to be here with Molnupiravir which will be a pill and therefore has a bigger success rate in Thailand.

Source: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02783-1

Don't want you to think I am attacking your post, but if the problem with the vax for many is that it has yet to be proven long term, why should people with that mindset, be any more receptive to an also unproven pill?

Regardless, I know there will be those among vax sceptics who will fail to see the difference and will take a pill but not a jab. Given their reasons for not taking the jab, I am sure there will be those who don't realise that a pill can also produce long-term side effects in exactly the same way as a jab does.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Don't want you to think I am attacking your post, but if the problem with the vax for many is that it has yet to be proven long term, why should people with that mindset, be any more receptive to an also unproven pill?

I don't feel attacked, I'm also for good discussions. I don't really believe this is the real problem in Thailand.
People in Thailand are afraid of needles. This is one thing we can 'fix' this way.

2 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Regardless, I know there will be those among vax sceptics who will fail to see the difference and will take a pill but not a jab. Given their reasons for not taking the jab, I am sure there will be those who don't realise that a pill can also produce long-term side effects in exactly the same way as a jab does.

I guess people need to understand the differences - that's a whole different topic. I tend to say people whom don't want to get vaccinated will warp in every excuse in the book.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stardust said:

Not only in CM and many other places they sent people home without their first shot.

Meanwhile in Dublin, there is news yesterday about a group of people who were asked to attend a vax clinic for a booster shot, and after a couple of hours waiting around, were sent home untreated. It transpired that they were below the scheduled age range.

On the other hand, Waterford City is reporting 99.7% fully vaxxed, and this is thought to be the highest rate on the planet.

7 hours ago, Shark said:

Look @AussieBob, I'm still realistically optimistic, but can only be optimistic if more and more people are getting vaccinated - As current numbers in Thailand are simply not sufficient. That the ministry wants to act upon this makes all the sense in the world. Mandatory vaccinations for a free life - If you don't want to vaccinate you'll have restrictions which is your choice then.

I'm also not that optimistic that it will cover 100% but at-least enough that the virus mutates itself out of existence.

I would not be quite so pessimistic about TH. Over 7 mill were given their first jab in the past month. That's 10% of the population.

Of course this gov is very capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and having belatedly recognised the failings of Sino, they are now prescribing AZ to everyone for the 2nd/3rd shot even when there are contra-indications. So far, at least one person has died from this. It will only take a handful of similar events to start a panic and resistance

22 minutes ago, Shark said:

I don't feel attacked, I'm also for good discussions. I don't really believe this is the real problem in Thailand.

Just to clarify, and not accusing you of this either, but I am starting to become used to a certain sector on here, that when vaxxing is discussed, are quite open to attacking the posts of anyone that does not agree with them 1000%

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

I would not be quite so pessimistic about TH. Over 7 mill were given their first jab in the past month. That's 10% of the population.

Of course this gov is very capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory and having belatedly recognised the failings of Sino, they are now prescribing AZ to everyone for the 2nd/3rd shot even when there are contra-indications. So far, at least one person has died from this. It will only take a handful of similar events to start a panic and resistance

I believe the latest and greatest numbers say 50% of Thai population has been vaccinated with 1 jab.. and similar with 2... currently but then again whom am I numbers are numbers. This is why I said low. perhaps statistics are just done with the wrong calculator.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Shark said:

I believe the latest and greatest numbers say 50% of Thai population has been vaccinated with 1 jab.. and similar with 2... currently but then again whom am I numbers are numbers. This is why I said low. perhaps statistics are just done with the wrong calculator.

Useful link > https://covidvax.live/location/tha

35 minutes ago, Shark said:

The source I reference https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations suggests 56%. But the problem with that figure is that many will have had 2 shots of Sino and require a 3rd AZ (or other) booster shot before they ae now deemed fully vaxxed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

, but if the problem with the vax for many is that it has yet to be proven long term, why should people with that mindset, be any more receptive to an also unproven pill?

"more receptive" possibly because with a vaccine it makes no difference to you, apart from any downside, if you don't have it until you catch Covid, then it's useless, while with the pill there's no potential downside until you catch Covid and then there's a lot more upside to balance any downside.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, Bob20 said:

Well, they never corrected the number of 178.2m doses (plus donations) to arrive this year, so I guess some 80m are still coming. Possibly at 23:59 on 31 December, but still this year 😉

I need to correct you there:

Possibly 2359 on 31 December, but still this millennium. 

• Haha 1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:43 PM, Bob20 said:

Well, they never corrected the number of 178.2m doses (plus donations) to arrive this year, so I guess some 80m are still coming. Possibly at 23:59 on 31 December, but still this year 😉

I need to correct you there:

Possibly 2359 on 31 December, but still this millennium. 

3 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

The source I reference https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations suggests 56%. But the problem with that figure is that many will have had 2 shots of Sino and require a 3rd AZ (or other) booster shot before they ae now deemed fully vaxxed.

that's my point exactly so this makes numbers under < 50% and the willingness to go beyond this number is low. very low.

18 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

I'd like to think that payback will be forthcoming in 2023, but that will only last until the next coup.

Worse still, the Military may take a leaf out of the Myanmar Juntas book, and eventually set up a system of government where nothing gets done without the approval of the military.

But this clown will not be leading the next coup because remember he had to resign from the military to be able to stand for the democratic election that voted ??????? him into power. So as he is no longer in the military he will not be able to lead a coup and if he goes back into the military it would be as a lowly private. 555555555555555555555555

3 hours ago, Russell said:

But this clown will not be leading the next coup because remember he had to resign from the military to be able to stand for the democratic election that voted ??????? him into power. So as he is no longer in the military he will not be able to lead a coup and if he goes back into the military it would be as a lowly private. 555555555555555555555555

I wouldn't know anything about Military recruitment in TH, but I'd suspect that they have a maximum age for joining and he would be past that. But should there be yet another coup, there is nothing in the rules that says the leader that is installed must be from the Military.

But even if there were such a rule, you need to consider that the normal rules are the Military is under the direction of the gov. If the Military repeatedly disrespect that rule, then they will not respect any rule that prevents them from attaining their objective.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:09 AM, Stageaman said:

Sadly there are many people who really want to be vaccinated, and who paid money for that priviledge 5 months ago, who are struggling to find out when  or even if, they will get to the front of the queue. I'm talking about the  Moderna outcasts of course. There is no information about further deliveries to private hospitals, and surely, when there is now a plentiful supply of the equivalent mRNA vaccine from Pfizer in the country, it would make sense to give that to the Red Cross to free up the significant quantity of Moderna they have taken.

My girlfriend finally got her first date for Moderna. She was 11000 in the queue for Kasenrad hospital. Hopefully you will get yours soon.

Seeing as the nugget health bloke is saying bin your paid Moderna get Pfizer from the government how will that sit with folk getting Sinojumk then AZ?