Jump to content

News Forum - CCSA admits some hotels are scamming Thailand Pass travellers


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Guest1 said:

Oh, yeah, I remember, once, I asked my landlord of that time, if I can go to the Land TransportDepartment, on that monday.

"Yes"

Went there, closed!

"Yes, but you could go there. You did not ask, if open or not."

I really think, that it is a bit different, with SHT+ here:

They should advise, what is needed. In case they don't, one time, accident. More times: easy money

I don’t agree, take responsibility for yourself. It is not the hotels job to ensure you have everything YOU need especially when they will have hundreds of customers with different needs. 

When you fly does the airline remind you to bring your passport ? When you shop does the supermarket remind you to bring your wallet etc etc. 
 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

As a frequent visitor to Japan, I can say that it's never happened to me there. I've even had incidents in restos where the staff have run after me trying to return 500 or 1000 yen that I've left as a tip. Tipping is unusual in Japan, and they presumed I forgot to pick up my tip. But to be fair, I think I might fare less well in the Ginza or Roppongi RLD's though I've yet to sample their pleasures.

Of course,  there will be millions of stories of good Samaritans in all nations too but the chap I responded to specifically inserted the word ‘thai’ as though synonymous with fraud. 

If he was worried about crime he wouldn’t go within a thousand miles of London which has just overtaken Harlem as the most dangerous place on earth ! 

I would have no hesitation at all walking through the streets of BKK at night but London ? No chance!  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

As a frequent visitor to Japan, I can say that it's never happened to me there. I've even had incidents in restos where the staff have run after me trying to return 500 or 1000 yen that I've left as a tip. Tipping is unusual in Japan, and they presumed I forgot to pick up my tip. But to be fair, I think I might fare less well in the Ginza or Roppongi RLD's though I've yet to sample their pleasures.

I must say that I had a great experience when I needed to change rooms in a hotel in Ho Chi Minh.

I forgot to get my valuables including a significant amount of cash out of my room safe. 15 minutes after moving rooms a member of the staff knocked on my door and returned it all to me. At that point I hadn't even realized that it was missing. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stonker and Stardust give it a rest its not to do who lives here or who knows this or who knows that its about Scams if you dont want to debate the topic move on. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

I must say that I had a great experience when I needed to change rooms in a hotel in Ho Chi Minh.

I forgot to get my valuables including a significant amount of cash out of my room safe. 15 minutes after moving rooms a member of the staff knocked on my door and returned it all to me. At that point I hadn't even realized that it was missing. 

She opened the safe! Ouch! Thats not good! She by passed your code and she should of brought you back to the room to open it!She did a good deed but… Just saying 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Benroon said:

Of course,  there will be millions of stories of good Samaritans in all nations too but the chap I responded to specifically inserted the word ‘thai’ as though synonymous with fraud. 

If he was worried about crime he wouldn’t go within a thousand miles of London which has just overtaken Harlem as the most dangerous place on earth ! 

I would have no hesitation at all walking through the streets of BKK at night but London ? No chance!  

WADR, I've seen these reports before about the UK having more violent crime than the US, and it turns out that this is dependent on how the numbers are counted. In the US the numbers are compiled by the FBI and homicides have a narrow definition. In the UK, the numbers are compiled by the Central Statistical Office and homicides are part of a group of crimes including serious assaults and car-jacking.

But I agree with your point about those who automatically link Thais with dishonesty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mazz11 said:

I must say that I had a great experience when I needed to change rooms in a hotel in Ho Chi Minh.

I forgot to get my valuables including a significant amount of cash out of my room safe. 15 minutes after moving rooms a member of the staff knocked on my door and returned it all to me. At that point I hadn't even realized that it was missing. 

Where I've stayed in hotels with a recep "safety box", I tend to hide the key on top of a wardrobe or similar. One hotel in PP that I stayed in, it was necessary for me to change rooms and I forgot the key. I reckoned that it would be difficult to reach, and didn't expect the cleaner to clean up these. Within a few minutes I got a knock on the door and it was the cleaner with the key. It turned out than when people checked out or changed rooms, that was the first thing she was told to do, because many guests did the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2021 at 10:40 PM, Stardust said:

It seems you never been in Thailand before when I read your question. And is amazing the people from outside of Thailand take their views from their homecountries and think it will be the same in Thailand. On the other hand they want to explain the people living in Thailand about Thailand when they have a critical and another view on realities in the country.

With something this important and detailed, why wouldn't people just book with the most reputable hotels?

I guarantee everyone that has been scammed was trying to do as cheap as possible

 

I have emailed names like the Sofitel, Marriott, etc and asked exact questions and got exact answers.

Very detailed and informative information, actually......

 

You don't need to know anything about Thailand, that is irrelevant, you just need to have a brain and not try and do it all as cheap as possible

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 12:00 AM, Stardust said:

Oh another one who would support any scam. By the way its not about the people who live here they are just aware what is happening. And talk not in you or their if you talking from tourists side or your side. You seems to think on this forum are only tourists or people not living in Thailand. Most are living here have Thaifamilies, Thaipassports etc.

This is literally your answer to everything...............

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2021 at 2:05 AM, LoongFred said:

Your making no sense at all.  If your on the sauce you need to take a nap. 

He never does, just rants on about people not knowing about Thailand, the same post in every thread.....

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These hotels should have their status as quarantine hotels revoked.I would also close them for a month.Zero tolerance to scammers,just as authorities have zero tolerance to visitors who try to sneak out of quarantine to buy food fit for human consumption.Advice: new arrivals, pack food from home! Hotel food is apparently recycled.A short diet will not harm you anyway, and hey,there is water!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Perhaps they'll be getting their act together before most catch on to their flim-flam. 

A start might be abandoning the whole of the Thailand Pass scheme......

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Marc26 said:

With something this important and detailed, why wouldn't people just book with the most reputable hotels?

I guarantee everyone that has been scammed was trying to do as cheap as possible

I have emailed names like the Sofitel, Marriott, etc and asked exact questions and got exact answers.

Very detailed and informative information, actually......

You don't need to know anything about Thailand, that is irrelevant, you just need to have a brain and not try and do it all as cheap as possible

Sure you not understand anything about Thailand . Thats why some posters advocate any dumb often doesnt know anything about the backround of it. We already realized how could reach this points in the country we are now. But don't mess up things more for the people who live here! 

Ps holidays is different than living here and sure you will not understand all!

Or easier for you we are tired of all this ignorants, selfish people who think to think they know something better and advocate any dumb not understand thai but explain us what thai people want. Make your holiday!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Blogosopher said:

Where's the arrests and return of scammed monies?

Almost certainly no monies to be returned, as those who had to pay extra for transport and a PCR test, who then cancelled their booking and booked another package on arrival instead, would have been doing so within 24 hours of their check-in time so not entitled to any refund.

... and almost certainly no reason for any arrests, as all the hotels had done was sell a one day booking, which those buying it had used to scam Thai Immigration for a Thailand Pass without paying for transport and a PCR test.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep...Amazing Thailand.. To be allowed into the country you must 1st be issued with a Thailand Pass..To qualify for this 'pass' you must show booking of an approved AQ, SHA+ or similar Test & go package.  So the tourist/traveller HAS booked a hotel 'package' that HAS been approved by the powers-that-be for him to gain his T/P.. Then on arrival the hotel says " Nah mate, you've only booked the room only"... 

 ...& the Gov authorities do nothing but air their concern over this, & lo+behold (yet again) the tourist has to PAY!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 9:56 AM, Mazz11 said:

I must say that I had a great experience when I needed to change rooms in a hotel in Ho Chi Minh.

I forgot to get my valuables including a significant amount of cash out of my room safe. 15 minutes after moving rooms a member of the staff knocked on my door and returned it all to me. At that point I hadn't even realized that it was missing. 

But you realize, a roomsafe is the easiest to be open by hotel staff, right? ;-)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/24/2021 at 5:35 PM, JohninDubin said:

Where I've stayed in hotels with a recep "safety box", I tend to hide the key on top of a wardrobe or similar. One hotel in PP that I stayed in, it was necessary for me to change rooms and I forgot the key. I reckoned that it would be difficult to reach, and didn't expect the cleaner to clean up these. Within a few minutes I got a knock on the door and it was the cleaner with the key. It turned out than when people checked out or changed rooms, that was the first thing she was told to do, because many guests did the same thing.

i hope you give her a good tip.😃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, HiuMak said:

i hope you give her a good tip.😃

I did tip her, but whether you think it was "good" is subjective. The Hotel was the Nana on Pasteur, where I usually stay in PP, and always stayed in room 301 or 302. The reason for that was that it was only the rooms at the end of the corridor that had access to a window, and having stayed there previously, I got on well with the maid for that particular floor (extra towels, toiletries etc), and that is why I always chose those two rooms.

Everyday, I would leave a dollar plus all my rials on the pillow for her as a tip, and $5 on day of checking out. I am not sure she could have accessed the safety box, because it required a second key. Regardless, I'd like to think she was inherently honest. I recall her telling me that probably less that half of those staying at the hotel, ever tipped.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, JohninDubin said:

Everyday, I would leave a dollar plus all my rials on the pillow for her as a tip, and $5 on day of checking out. I am not sure she could have accessed the safety box, because it required a second key. Regardless, I'd like to think she was inherently honest. I recall her telling me that probably less that half of those staying at the hotel, ever tipped.

It is a good practise and I do the same leaving USD1 every day on the bedside table and a little more when I checked out. Thumbs up

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HiuMak said:

It is a good practise and I do the same leaving USD1 every day on the bedside table and a little more when I checked out. Thumbs up

In the same vein, I once took a girl to Snooky on a side trip from PP. One morning, I thought I had left the customary $1 on the pillow. As I went to leave the room, I couldn't see it. Must have imagined it. Left a $1 and took the girl with me when I left the room. We are walking down the corridor and she tells me she has forgotten something and needs to go back to the room. I walk back with her, and when I open the door she rushes into the room, and rushes back within seconds while I am stood at the door. Sensing something was strange, I tried to go into the room but she took my arm and said she wanted breakfast. I went into the room and saw there was no $1 there. 

I told her to take her stuff and gave her $12 to cover the Tuk-tuk and her bus fare back to PP. She burst into tears, and tried to give me the $2 back. She was supposed to be there for 5 well rewarded days but doesn't make it to the second. She tells me that needs to spend the five days with me because she has a baby to look after. She promises not to do it again. I tell her it's not about the money, but that she was stealing from someone who was earning a lot less than her, who also probably had a baby. Her pleas almost instantly turned to abuse. I think I made the right decision.

One other experience I had about hotel tipping in Cam. I checked into a hotel in Siem Reap, and the room had not been made up but the previous guest had left a tip on the pillow. It was 2X50 rial notes. For those who don't know the exchange rate, it's less than 3 cents in any of the major currencies. There being no phone in the room, I walk down to recep. Tell the woman that my room hasn't been made up yet. She asks me to sit in recep and it will be take care of in few minutes. I give her the 100 rials telling her the previous occupant had left it. She said something along the lines of, "Yippee. Now I can afford a new motor bike".

It turned out that the previous guests were a couple from California. I suggested to her, that as she had their address, she put the money in an envelope and sent it back to them, but without a postage stamp, and write on the back of the envelope to increase it's chance of being delivered, "Property left in hotel", as it was likely to cost them $2 or $3 in postage due. She wrote the envelope out in my presence, but I don't know if she ever sent it,

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use