News Forum - CCSA admits some hotels are scamming Thailand Pass travellers

Thaiger

Some Thai hotels are deceiving foreign arrivals by letting them book a room without transport or Covid testing, then trying to sell them a new package on arrival. CCSA spokesperson Apisamai Srirangson says some hotels are deliberately only selling a room, whereas the Thailand Pass requirements stipulate that the package must include transportation from the airport to the hotel and PCR testing on arrival. The Bangkok Post reports that when unsuspecting travellers arrive, they must then purchase a new package or risk being denied entry to the kingdom. Apisamai says some hotels that have deliberately misled tourists will then refuse […]

The story CCSA admits some hotels are scamming Thailand Pass travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

22 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

CCSA admits some hotels are scamming Thailand Pass travellers

"admits"?

The by now usual creative writing from Maya Taylor.

There's no "admitting" involved - the CCSA are telling people, to try to stop them being scammed.

Very different.

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

and still they wonder why no ones coming???im one of the  ones not willing to be caught in that scam.drop the crooked hotel and test crap and use the airport cheap test that gives results in 20 min to one hour.then you will see more bookings.i have also heard the 50,000 usd insurance is good only if it snows 2 feet deep in thailand on feb the 30th!!

• Like 6

Dishonesty is in there gene they cant help themselfs if they put the same effort that they put in scams in something creative they make more money at the end but its a today mentality there is no tomorrow and they hate when some make some money and they are not

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Stonker said:

"admits"?

The by now usual creative writing from Maya Taylor.

There's no "admitting" involved - the CCSA are telling people, to try to stop them being scammed.

Very different.

"Admits" may be correct if some in the CCSA are part of this scam.  But, they would never admit to being part of it ... 

Why isn't the CCSA going after these hotels doing this b*llsh*t and revoke their SHA+ certification.  They act like they have no power.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 2

Wow!! Another Thai Scam regarding fake hotels ill simply be using a Travel Agent to arrange this type of  thing as to prevent the ordeal taking place. Entry into the Kingdom is something im really looking forward too as Travel is one of the best things we can ever do !! 555

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Haole.TH said:

Why isn't the CCSA going after these hotels doing this b*llsh*t and revoke their SHA+ certification.  They act like they have no power.

Exactly. That’s the part of the story sorely missing. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Dont be surprised, Im not

No surprises, it's to be expected. 

Going to spend Xmas and NY on a beach. Had thought could be a late tourist rush as things open. Nope that is definitely not going to happen. Thanks Thai hotel industry.  

Edited by Mudshark
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Haole.TH said:

Why not remove their hotel licenses? if they have one

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Some Thai hotels are deceiving foreign arrivals by letting them book a room without transport or Covid testing, then trying to sell them a new package on arrival. CCSA spokesperson Apisamai Srirangson says some hotels are deliberately only selling a room, whereas the Thailand Pass requirements stipulate that the package must include transportation from the airport to the hotel and PCR testing on arrival. The Bangkok Post reports that when unsuspecting travellers arrive, they must then purchase a new package or risk being denied entry to the kingdom. Apisamai says some hotels that have deliberately misled tourists will then refuse […]

The story CCSA admits some hotels are scamming Thailand Pass travellers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Buyer beware    I booked a SHA+ room for my return without an issue on agoda   Hotel  emailed to confirm the fight and inform me of the gate the driver will wait to meet me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, yetanother said:

scamming foreigners seems quite natural to some thai ;

as one wise old thai told me: "thais cheat thais, you have no chance"

An excellent point. We sometimes forget that the Thais don't trust each other - the corruption is endemic in Thailand and we Farangs just become another target.

• Like 4

2 points here. 

1) when you read the conditions of the Thailand pass it says you must book a hotel that provides testing and pickup from the airport, so buyer beware. If you don't read the conditions don't complain when you have problems down the line. 

2) how are these people obtaining a Thailand pass in the first place setting how their hotel booking fails to meet the criteria. What checking is done of the uploaded hotel booking. 

My booking clearly shows what is included all in one page. 

That's for BKK anyways, maybe other places it's different

• Like 6

2 hours ago, farang said:

i have also heard the 50,000 usd insurance is good only if it snows 2 feet deep in thailand on feb the 30th!!

... and where exactly did you hear that from?

... just asking 😂 ....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

"Admits" may be correct if some in the CCSA are part of this scam.  But, they would never admit to being part of it ..

Unless they own the hotels, how exactly could they be "part if it"?

... and if they did, why on earth would they announce it 😂 ?

20 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

2 points here. 

1) when you read the conditions of the Thailand pass it says you must book a hotel that provides testing and pickup from the airport, so buyer beware. If you don't read the conditions don't complain when you have problems down the line. 

2) how are these people obtaining a Thailand pass in the first place setting how their hotel booking fails to meet the criteria. What checking is done of the uploaded hotel booking. 

I made an error on my hotel booking,  booked a sat night not a friday nite,  yet my TP was sill approved

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Haole.TH said:

2 hours ago, EdwardV said:

Exactly. That’s the part of the story sorely missing. 

2 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Why not remove their hotel licenses? if they have one

But the CCSA DO "have no power" where SHA and SHA+ certification is concerned - it's nothing to do with them and is awarded and can be taken away only by the TAT.

https://www.thailandsha.com/about_us

The CCSA 's blowing the whistle on the scam, which they're not in any position to do anything else about apart from warn people, and now you're blaming them for doing so 😂 !

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

2 points here. 

Exactly on both points, @TheDirtyDurian. 1) If people don't read the conditions and get something at a price that's obviously too good to be true as it can't include the cost of transport and a PCR test, then it very probably is too good to be true.

2) The Thailand Pass clearly doesn't and can't check all hotel booking details as that part of the system's automated. Either it's automated and quick and can't check this sort of detail, or it's manual and slow and you're back to the old CofE - but some clearly want the best of both worlds.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

2 points here. 

It seems you never been in Thailand before when I read your question. And is amazing the people from outside of Thailand take their views from their homecountries and think it will be the same in Thailand. On the other hand they want to explain the people living in Thailand about Thailand when they have a critical and another view on realities in the country.

27 minutes ago, Stonker said:

But the CCSA DO "have no power" where SHA and SHA+ certification is concerned - it's nothing to do with them and is awarded and can be taken away only by the TAT.

https://www.thailandsha.com/about_us

The CCSA 's blowing the whistle on the scam, which they're not in any position to do anything else about apart from warn people, and now you're blaming them for doing so 😂 !

Oh, so they are not in the SHA+ brown envelooe loop?

Perhaps that's why they whistle?

On the other hand, that is leading to a bad image of Thailand.

The taking about, I mean

2 hours ago, Lowseasonlover said:

Dont be surprised, Im not

Exactly and amazing how the ones who advocated any dumb program and scam before, are now surprised and complaining.

19 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ok...time to name and shame! Nothing like a few choice words of truth on a facebook page when someone experiences this. Experience it...report it!

Have to be careful there as well! It wasn’t to long ago in Thailand,somebody , don’t remember the names involved, complained about a hotel/restaurant services on facebook only to have the facility make a formal complaint  to the authorities that the individual was causing a stir and to discontinue their efforts to malign or else!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

Oh, so they are not in the SHA+ brown envelooe loop?

Perhaps that's why they whistle?

On the other hand, that is leading to a bad image of Thailand.

The taking about, I mean

We could see the discussions already long time ago about that many left out of this sha+ programs and many were sceptical about how they would handle it (the points you mentioned)

It is really amazing again that people who advocated all dumb actions/programs, scams now complaining and be surprised.