News Forum - Minister confirms all train services at Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong station will end

Thaiger

Rail services to Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong station will soon be no more, according to Thailand’s Transport Minister. Saksayam Chidchob says services to the station will initially be decreased from 118 a day to 22, before being phased out completely. No date has been confirmed for the termination of all services, but an earlier proposal has it pencilled in for December 23. The move has Bangkok commuters up in arms, frustrated at the increase in expenditure their daily commute will entail. According to a Thai PBS World report, many commuters say they will now have to travel from the capital’s Bang […]

The story Minister confirms all train services at Bangkok’s Hua Lamphong station will end as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Given srt have not been allowed to increase fares since the late 1980's it's hardly surprising that they lose money every year.i will greatly miss services to hua lamphong as I'm sure will others here.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cathat said:

Given srt have not been allowed to increase fares since the late 1980's it's hardly surprising that they lose money every year.i will greatly miss services to hua lamphong as I'm sure will others here.

Won't miss it at all. What was so great about it?

23 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Won't miss it at all. What was so great about it?

Its a fine building that has served its function well for over 100 years,it has stood the test of time.

It is very conveniently located also like most old railway stations.

Those seem pretty good reasons to me.

• Like 3

I find the news sad. Part of the cities history and character is to die.

Why not upgrade and link both hubs? 

One of Europe's big draw cards is and will remain it's splendid architecture. Many cities have split the old and new towns. Progress and modernization continue but history and heritage is preserved. Wandering around public gardens and seeing impressive monuments rather than giant boxes is nice on the eyes.

The once clean spacious green capital is now a metropolis with slums and filth in parts where wooden houses once stood in garden surrounds.

I believe both should be linked. But unfortunately the old Railway station will simply exist in pictures and memories.  

• Like 3

Not much there in the way of facilities, places to get food and drink etc. Bad traffic around there too. 

Once dual track to the south is done, and the ARL, Bang Sue will be much better. There's so much more there. One big hub. 

Just now, mickkotlarski said:

One of Europe's big draw cards is and will remain it's splendid architecture. Many cities have split the old and new towns. Progress and modernization continue but history and heritage is preserved. Wandering around public gardens and seeing impressive monuments rather than giant boxes is nice on the eyes.

The once clean spacious green capital is now a metropolis with slums and filth in parts where wooden houses once stood in garden surrounds.

I believe both should be linked. But unfortunately the old Railway station will simply exist in pictures and memories.  

You what??

How far back are you going there?

😆😆😆

2 minutes ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

You what??

How far back are you going there?

😆😆😆

Unfortunately too far back. The Saksayams date back a while. I feel the voices of those that wish to preserve it as a museum will fall on death ears.

Even where I live. Its only 20 years but the trees have been bulldozed, natural canals blocked and locals have lost the land by being bought out. Two monuments removed and in its place is slums and pollution. All in the name of progress and expansion.

Bangkok already lacks character. This is just one more step towards it being killed further.

With all the happiness you must feel, others are sad to see another piece of nostalgia being killed off.   

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Very well said. All smart architecture these days incorporates the old into the new. Heritage is preserved for the irreplaceable value it has, whilst the space is also given contemporary functionality. Will the Thais do the smart thing, i doubt it. Prepare for yet another generic shopping mall.

• Thanks 2

I'm another voice for preservation. Of course you could demolish the palace in Bangkok and build a state of the art complex. If it's anything like most modern architecture is would look dated in a decade. The palace is preserved and long may it be preserved! So should this station. It could be updated and retrofitted as so many other public buildings in the world have been. Russia has in the last decade done this to many buildings; preserving it's history. same in my country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm another voice for preservation. Of course you could demolish the palace in Bangkok and build a state of the art complex. If it's anything like most modern architecture is would look dated in a decade. The palace is preserved and long may it be preserved! So should this station. It could be updated and retrofitted as so many other public buildings in the world have been. Russia has in the last decade done this to many buildings; preserving it's history. same in my country. 

Thank you Jason. Great to see people that understand what is happening around them.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:28 AM, Cathat said:

Its a fine building that has served its function well for over 100 years,it has stood the test of time.

It is very conveniently located also like most old railway stations.

Those seem pretty good reasons to me.

Yes many memories it should be preserved.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mickkotlarski said:

Thank you Jason. Great to see people that understand what is happening around them.

Anytime Mick! It's time to preserve these great examples of the past. In a perfect world the station would be moved to become part of a railway museum. The railway workshops at Ipswich are a classic example. How many railways have been preserved in Britain? Railways are preserved all over the world. I would have thought that Thailand, would do the same.

• Thanks 1

Yea i would really miss waiting for a train to Hua Hin and then take 4-5 hours to get there rather then drive/ride 3 hours with no waiting time,  Train to CM, only did it one time, it was only 4 hours late arriving in CM

but i agree  it would be nice it see the station preserved/protected 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jason said:

Anytime Mick! It's time to preserve these great examples of the past. In a perfect world the station would be moved to become part of a railway museum. The railway workshops at Ipswich are a classic example. How many railways have been preserved in Britain? Railways are preserved all over the world. I would have thought that Thailand, would do the same.

For sure! King Rama V (the Great) actually put Thailand in the top 10 nations for railway services. It is now not even in the top 80. This was a time of advancement.

When I see pictures of Bangkok in the 1950's and 1960's when it had the classic hotels (the since demolished Siam Intercontinental and Dusit Thani), fountains and parks, cinemas and districts of wooden houses and clean canals with fish swimming in them.

I'm sick of seeing more shopping centers surrounded by slums. I take my hat off to England, Russia, Japan and others that preserve their heritage while modernizing.

IMO Saksayam (Nevins brother) is a cultural criminal and like so many politicians  pretends to love his people and country while lining his pockets.

On 11/23/2021 at 1:28 PM, mickkotlarski said:

lots of charm in these old buildings. I see great examples of renewing these buildings and integrate them into the new ones

• Like 1