News Forum - Mask up! Foreign visitors warned of penalties for violating disease control laws

Thaiger

12 hours ago, Bluesofa said:

I see it's about 1,000 km each way, that's a decent ride!
I cycled around  Issan last year with a friend, that was 800 km in a week. At that point we only put face masks on when interacting with anyone.

I tried cycling in a mask but as soon as it got wet from sweat there was no air getting in - I was basically waterboarding myself. 😲   
The actual route is hopefully Hua Hin to Chiang Rai then the Mae Hong Son loop back to Chiang Mai then back to Hua Hin.  It's about the only exercise I get.  I ride about 300km a week but I live in Houston which is flat as a pancake so I don't mind the heat but the hills in Thailand are tough for me - plus all the additional gear on the bike doesn't help.  At least the roads were safer in Thailand than in Houston for cyclist. 

I was just discussing the risk of running into bad air in Chiang Mai as I won't make it up there until late January.  If it was already bad I thought I could either head south to Krabi or head north to Sukhothai and then east to Khon Kaen circling back to BKK.  If you think the Khon Kaen path would be interesting I'd love an email with some advice on places to see/stay or routes that you liked.  I know nothing of the area. Thanks.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:46 PM, Bob20 said:

Yeah, you're definitely not the king of anecdotes, but you get an A for trying though 🤣

When it comes to anecdotes, I bow to your superior output (hahaha).

• Haha 1

On 11/24/2021 at 3:02 PM, Bob20 said:

Same as how JID compares Asia to Europe and sees congruities, but if you go back one year, they were virtual opposites. Because you simply can't compare totally different situations (compliance, used vaccines, climate and a hundred more factors that differ between countries).

That was then and this is now.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2021 at 4:51 AM, Pinetree said:

I for one have not

It seems to me that there are plenty of people on here who will attack a post that mentions a persons nationality, especially if it's one of their own people and imply that their is a hidden agenda behind that mention.

At the same time, I've seen plenty of unflattering comments about "Indians" on this forum, but I've yet to hear anyone complain that these comments hide someone's personal agenda. Hmmm?

On 11/24/2021 at 12:01 AM, JohninDubin said:

I don't believe in the exactitude of the numbers, but I do believe that the trend is overwhelmingly downward in Asia, and the opposite is true of Asia. I would add that I do totally disbelieve the figures from China and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that my suspicions are real.

I am not quite sure what you are trying to say, but if it is that case numbers in Asia are per capita no different from Europe, then you are in effect saying, that Asia is only declaring 5% of all cases. Considering that possibility I note that the trend in Asia is fairly consistent, and there are no consistently amazing outliers in these figures. That is what I would expect to find in the circumstances. Rates are declining fairly evenly across the whole continent. There are several liberal democracies within Asia. If there was a scale of fraud to the extent that they were hiding 95 cases, I am pretty sure that we would be seeing reports in the media or from whistleblowers from multiple countries, especially as most of them will also have western correspondents. The fact that we are not hearing such noises leads me to believe that there is little seriously wrong with the figures.

The thing that I find laughable about your post, and those who make similar comments, is they can never furnish an alternative number and the reasons for that number. 

I would go between because for that case numbers the hospitalization and dead rate was high in Thailand and also when you compare the testing rate compare to europe. So it is quite mud water and not clear water. Check the high cases rates in south africa but with much less hozpitalization rate and death rate compare to Thailand. 2 death in 2 weeks ok one reason is the new variants there have less serious symptoms but they also still have delta variants cases. One possibility is there were much more cases in Thailand and that is the answer for the rates. Anyway it is not quite clear in Thailand why the rates are so different. Same when I compare as you mentioned numbers from Taiwan to Thailand. It doesn't fit. Sure China everything is censored and any info comes out is over their propaganda mouthpieces it means no info only the filming footages how they run wild with extrem lockdowns at the moment in China. Anyway how could this high hospitalization rate been  with the low case numbers if the numbers were true. It is not enough info to make it abit clearer than in more transparent countries with a higher testing rate to have a better overview.

33 minutes ago, Stardust said:

I would go between because for that case numbers the hospitalization and dead rate was high in Thailand and also when you compare the testing rate compare to europe. So it is quite mud water and not clear water. Check the high cases rates in south africa but with much less hozpitalization rate and death rate compare to Thailand. 2 death in 2 weeks ok one reason is the new variants there have less serious symptoms but they also still have delta variants cases. One possibility is there were much more cases in Thailand and that is the answer for the rates. Anyway it is not quite clear in Thailand why the rates are so different. Same when I compare as you mentioned numbers from Taiwan to Thailand. It doesn't fit. Sure China everything is censored and any info comes out is over their propaganda mouthpieces it means no info only the filming footages how they run wild with extrem lockdowns at the moment in China. Anyway how could this high hospitalization rate been  with the low case numbers if the numbers were true. It is not enough info to make it abit clearer than in more transparent countries with a higher testing rate to have a better overview.

Thanks for your reply, I never believed the numbers from TH. I only believe that the rates are declining week on week at the moment and have done so for several weeks now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

Thanks for your reply, I never believed the numbers from TH. I only believe that the rates are declining week on week at the moment and have done so for several weeks now.

Yes it should be like that because the vaccination rate is high, if you take the fact about the chaos til today about the deliveries low stocks, late orders and all the mess about. They complained about 10 million not had their shots but over 9 millions of that 10 millions booked and paid already month ago for moderna. If you take this facts Thailand has extrem high vaccinationation rate and would without that chaos already vaccinated. I am really surprised about that and really not understood this discussions because it was clearly not about the people or writing in the news many Thais not want vaccines this was absurd and really strange because according to the numbers it is the opposite and all complications, wierd apps, buerocracy was not their fault.

• Like 2

On 11/24/2021 at 10:50 AM, Bob20 said:

In an ideal world...

But when you're dealing with large numbers of people, let alone whole nations or in this case the whole world, you can't create individual rules for some and hope to maintain them.

Agreed, which is why i am against all these restrictions.  let people make their own choices and assume the risks they choose to assume.  I wish people would stop cheering for the implementation of rules over others and just mind their own business.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1