News Forum - Mask up! Foreign visitors warned of penalties for violating disease control laws

Thaiger

Foreign visitors are being told to mask up and follow Thailand’s disease control laws, or face prosecution… possibly even a 20,000 baht fine for not wearing a mask. The warning comes after reports that many foreigners travelling for business have not been wearing masks and many have gathered for parties, which a spokesperson says led to Covid-19 transmission. In today’s Covid task force press briefing, CCSA spokesperson Apisamai Srirangson pointed out that many visitors entering those Thailand’s “sandbox” programme to attend business meetings have not been following disease control measures set by the CCSA. Apparently, hotel staff had warned travellers […]

The story Mask up! Foreign visitors warned of penalties for violating disease control laws as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Oh the dirty farang again being targeted, hope he gave the same message to the thousands of Thai's who use their masks as chin guards, another great message to send out to any tourists, just the same as, get caught having a drink and you will end up in court and fined. 555

TIT.

• Like 8

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2105839/prayut-among-first-fined-for-flouting-mask-rule

While the maximum fine for the offence is 20,000 baht, officials may consider charging less based on the regulation on fining, which stipulates 6,000 baht for the first-time offence, 12,000 baht for the second and 20,000 baht for the third onward.

But for this to occur … will require boys in brown to be patrolling the streets. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Contrary to the previous posters, I welcome the move. Seeing the number of people ignoring the rules and the fact that Covid isn't under control, it was incomprehensible that things weren't enforced. 

I can understand it's not what you want in your holiday, but you knew that before you booked!

Now just hoping it's not just more rhetoric without action.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Cool 1

13 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I have comed to the point where I advise friends, family  and business associates  to stay sway from Thailand until they ease up with all the requirements to come here.  The only way Thais learn is when it hurts in the pocket.

If your "friends, family  and business associates" aren't prepared to obey the same laws as everyone else here they should stay away.

Permanently.

Whether you or they agree with the laws or not is completely irrelevant, as by coming here they agree to accept the laws here.

If your "friends, family  and business associates" are too selfish to mask up and to show some consideration for others here, and the only way they'll "learn" to do so is "when it hurts in the pocket" then they shouldn't come here.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Rebel said:

I have comed to the point where I advise friends, family  and business associates  to stay sway from Thailand until they ease up with all the requirements to come here.  The only way Thais learn is when it hurts in the pocket.

If you look at infection rates in Asia where most countries are still heavily restricted, and compare them to Europe, can you honestly say that TH has got it wrong? Currently, you are 21X more likely to become infected in Europe, than in Asia.

Your post looks like you are saying that they should be punished for being cautious, but we can see what lack of caution is doing  in Europe. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Graham said:

Oh the dirty farang again being targeted, hope he gave the same message to the thousands of Thai's who use their masks as chin guards, another great message to send out to any tourists, just the same as, get caught having a drink and you will end up in court and fined. 555

TIT.

No, not "targeted" but reminded.

I don't see many farangs here, dirty or otherwise, but the only people I've seen not wearing masks are always farangs - only a handful, but still the only ones and enough to let all others down.

If you're not prepared to obey the rules here, whatever they are and whether you like them or not, then either don't come or leave.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Stonker said:

No, not "targeted" but reminded.

I don't see many farangs here, dirty or otherwise, but the only people I've seen not wearing masks are always farangs - only a handful, but still the only ones and enough to let all others down.

If you're not prepared to obey the rules here, whatever they are and whether you like them or not, then either don't come or leave.

What an absurd comment , you surly not talking about Thailand! Be aware in the forum also people who live in Thailand!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

Why are you always confrontational all the time Issan John!? 

He's right. So many expats (especially Americans) seem to not understand that they are guests in Thailand and only have Thai's avail them with. When a guest in somebody else's country you agree to follow their rules period. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Dear Foreigner,

Did you not learn to obey the law in your country. do you think or feel you are above the law. Why is it you think you are entitled to do as you want and not obey the laws of another country. remember you are a guest in Thailand what in the hell makes you think you're above the law. Wear the mask. I'm going to Thailand in Feb.  I wear my mask faithfully here in US and will wear it even more so there.  Even here the dirty filthy falang protesting, crying and complaining about something so small and life sustaining. Wear Your Mask or STAY OFF THE STREET!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

no matter where you are, OBEY the law... especially regarding the mask many Thai people are still not vaccinated and scared... although i do not see much fallang, but if i would see one without a mask i will give him one, and if he does not want to wear it i will call the cops on the fallang...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Graham said:

TIT.

Beat me to it 😂

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

If you look at infection rates in Asia where most countries are still heavily restricted, and compare them to Europe, can you honestly say that TH has got it wrong? Currently, you are 21X more likely to become infected in Europe, than in Asia.

Your post looks like you are saying that they should be punished for being cautious, but we can see what lack of caution is doing  in Europe. 

Maybe the “infection rates in Asia “would be more like Europe if they carried out the same amount of testing. Less testing, less cases. Population of Thailand similar to the U.K.  The U.K. carries out between 800,000 and 1 million tests a day. How many do Thailand carry out? Between February 2020 and October 2021 there was 726,007 tests. So less in 20 month than the U.K. carries out in one day. That probably sums up why cases are low. Surely not. The Thais are honest 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob20 said:

Contrary to the previous posters, I welcome the move. Seeing the number of people ignoring the rules and the fact that Covid isn't under control, it was incomprehensible that things weren't enforced. 

I can understand it's not what you want in your holiday, but you knew that before you booked!

Now just hoping it's not just more rhetoric without action.

I would also welcome it if they also applied it to Thais 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, whitesnake said:

And, all this "guests ballcocks" in another country! Give me a break pal! The Thai people should begin with treating us with the same respect in that case.... it's two way you know!

I don't know about that. I always thought that the guest followed the hosts rules, or would be asked to leave. And if it's a question of the host disrespecting you, why would you want to stay?

I recall walking around Notre Dame Cathedral one Sunday morning, and seeing two groups of American Women who were also doing the sight-seeing bit during the middle of a service. Suddenly one woman recognised another in the other group, and she did that thing that I've seen other American women do when they see a friend for the first time in a while. She let out a whoop. Immediately several of the congregation  "shooshed" her. He response was to express outrage at this admonishment and after questioning "how dare they", she went into a rant about how grateful the French should be that she was in their country spending US dollars. You could see her friends cringing, but I guess she felt disrespected by the French.

I think many of us must come from countries where racism is prevalent, but how many of us will just let it slide rather than call it out? And yet some of us are surprised when we visit other countries and even if we don't misbehave, we are not treated equally?

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Tim_Melb said:

He's right. So many expats (especially Americans) seem to not understand that they are guests in Thailand and only have Thai's avail them with. When a guest in somebody else's country you agree to follow their rules period. 

Welcome to the forum @Tim_Melb. I agree with the sentiment of following the rules when a guest in someone else’s country, but the “especially Americans” line? That’s not cool. I don’t think it’s fair to single out Americans.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I would also welcome it if they also applied it to Thais 

Absolutely. That's why I didn't mention any group and just say I hope that it's enforced.

• Like 3

If the RTP applies the law across the board and doesn't target Ferangs I would be truly shocked. Personally I go nowhere without wearing a mask and it Pi$$e$ me off to see others not bothering , implement the law and do it strongly but fairly no more of the attitude Ferangs have money they can pay...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Bob said:

Maybe the “infection rates in Asia “would be more like Europe if they carried out the same amount of testing. Less testing, less cases. Population of Thailand similar to the U.K.  The U.K. carries out between 800,000 and 1 million tests a day. How many do Thailand carry out? Between February 2020 and October 2021 there was 726,007 tests. So less in 20 month than the U.K. carries out in one day. That probably sums up why cases are low. Surely not. The Thais are honest 

Even if Thailand had $50 billion to waste on a testing system that didn't work, like the UK's, that's still very unlikely.

Not just my view, but that of the Parliamentary Commons Committee in October who said that: "The national test-and-trace programme was allocated eye-watering sums of taxpayers’ money in the midst of a global health and economic crisis. It set out bold ambitions but has failed to achieve them despite the vast sums thrown at it.

Only 14% of 691m lateral flow tests sent out had results reported, and who knows how many took the necessary action based on the results they got, or how many were never used. The continued reliance on the over-priced consultants who ‘delivered’ this state of affairs will by itself cost the taxpayer hundreds of millions of pounds” and that it was a complete waste of £37 billion / $50 billion.

... and of Greg Clark, last month, the chair of Parliament's Science and Technology Committee, who said that it was "an extraordinary sum of money" to spend on a system that didn't work efficiently, "That is a thousand pounds for every household in the country....When you consider the uses of taxpayer money...the performance of NHS test and trace coupled with the money that has gone into it...that is a real failure,"

... and the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee before that, back in May, who said that the testing was making  "no measurable difference to the progress of the pandemic" and that it was an "unimaginable" waste of resources: "Yet despite the unimaginable resources thrown at this project Test and Trace cannot point to a measurable difference to the progress of the pandemic, and the promise on which this huge expense was justified - avoiding another lockdown – has been broken, twice.

DHSC and NHST&T must rapidly turn around these fortunes and begin to demonstrate the worth and value of this staggering investment of taxpayers' money. Not only is it essential it delivers an effective system as pupils return to school and more people return to their workplace, but for the £billions spent we need to see a top class legacy system. British taxpayers cannot be treated by Government like an ATM machine. We need to see a clear plan and costs better controlled."

The UK, again according to the Commons Committee, has been consistently testing the wrong people, testing not only those who want to be tested, many of them multiple times, but who are the least likely to test positive: "Even now, uptake of NHS test and trace is still “variable” as some vulnerable people are much less likely to take a test than others, the report says. Urgent improvements are needed in public outreach, with more than 60% of people who experience Covid-19 symptoms reporting that they have not been tested, and certain groups, such as older people, men, and some ethnic minorities, less likely to engage with the service." It's not only not targeted, but it's avoiding those who need to be tested the most - Thailand's system is the complete reverse.

It's the difference between a machine gunner spraying thousands of rounds in the wrong direction and a sniper picking their target.

... at least, that's the unanimous and repeated view of all the Commons Committees and the experts who've looked at testing in the UK.

I doubt they're all wrong.

3 minutes ago, yetanother said:

"“Visitors must comply, or they will be prosecuted.”"

how very miltitary of you;

welcome to penalties, have a nice time and come back soon (we need your money) 

Rules without enforcement don't work.

Make no rules, or make them and enforce them.

1 hour ago, Stardust said:

Be aware in the forum also people who live in Thailand!

Yes, and some of us don't live in Pattaya and assume that's how the rest of Thailand is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim_Melb said:

Um, I would be careful on saying especially Americans unless you can really back that up. Some parts of the EU are divided as the same as the USA. I was at Central Festival CM Christmas shopping and in a popular skate shoe store there yesterday. Then suddenly along comes a 30 year old big sized tall kid with his mother and he was looking at buying shoes. The a-hole had his mask hanging on his ear. My guess is they were German or Bavarian or something. Luckily we were finished and we got out of there fast. In that mall yesterday there seemed to be a bunch of those same decent of people maybe in a tour or something brought to that mall. And yes there was another one that did not have his mask over his nose. All thai we were around and saw had their masks on. And I mean all including this American here!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

Rules without enforcement don't work.

They do if people consider others.

People around me don't wear masks because someone's enforcing the law, but out of consideration and respect for others - that doesn't make them saints or mean that all laws are obeyed, anything but, but everyone still wears masks.

• Like 1