News Forum - Krathong cleanup: Prayers to the water goddess trash Thailand’s rivers

Thaiger

Under the full moon on Friday, Thais gathered by rivers and canals to float their intricately-made offerings, known as krathongs, to give thanks to the water goddess. But overnight garbage collectors in Bangkok quickly cleaned the waterways before sunrise, loading dump trucks with krathongs and other debris. The Loy Krathong festival is a known as a popular tradition where Thais pray to the water goddess and float krathongs, which are typically made from banana tree stems and decorated with leaves, flowers, candles, and incense sticks. While the krathongs are an offering to the water goddess, many find the tradition contradictory […]

The story Krathong cleanup: Prayers to the water goddess trash Thailand’s rivers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I can certainly understand the festival and it's history...but in times past, krathongs would have been made with all natural and biodegradable parts. Perhaps it is time for a return to traditional methods. Styrofoam and plastics really need to be eliminated. I don't think that the water Goddess, who is being honoured by this festival would want an offering that polutes the water....

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The Loy Krathong festival is a known as a popular tradition where Thais pray to the water goddess

who has answered in abundance this yr .. 

What happened to the virtual ceremony that they wanted folk to do to stop covid floating about .. and for those that did will the internet be littered with loads of dead virtual krathong thingies that need clearing up also .. 

4 hours ago, whitesnake said:

I wonder if the PCR Tests will show an increase in Covid numbers over the next few days? What I observed was virtually no social distancing whatsoever... instead, thousands of people all crowded together on streets, in temples and next to rivers!  

Ok.