News Forum - The best methods for learning the Thai language

Thaiger

18 hours ago, Soidog said:

I think if you are visiting on holiday without any particular plans to return, then learning the language is almost pointless. If however, you plan to stay in a country and put down roots, then you are doing yourself a big favour to learn at least some basic phrases. Over the years I’ve got to the point where I can get by with speaking and reading Thai and found it useful on many occasions. I’m hardly fluent but it’s enough for the person I’m talking to to know I’m no two week tourist. 

However, being a native English speaker, I do hear a certain degree of “snobbery” by people who speak one or more other languages. It’s almost as if they perceive it elevates them as humans to another level. As English speakers we also tend to put ourselves down by not speaking Thai, and I hear people say how many Thais can speak some English. Don’t forget, Thais are bombarded from birth with sounds and images of the English language. Before coming to Thailand, how many times did you even see the a Thai word on TV or on an a sign? The English language can been heard and seen everywhere in Thailand and so it’s far easier for a Thai to learn the alphabet and key words from a young age.  

The proliferation of the English language is a major reason why most English speaking people don’t learn other languages, they simply don’t need to. So don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t speak Thai and have lived there for 5 or more years. My advice is learn the numbers and colours. Learn how to say thank you and excuse me and of critical importance, learn how to ask “how much” !! 

Maybe some don't have the capacity to learn or feel others should cater to them. If you don't learn Thai and live in Thailand you'll always be an outsider.

Just now, LoongFred said:

Maybe some don't have the capacity to learn or feel others should cater to them. If you don't learn Thai and live in Thailand you'll always be an outsider.

If you are tone deaf you will never learn Thai, so they say

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Had a Brit boast to me a few years back that they invented the English language, my reply being American is we refined it.

There may be some merit in that. It is very much a hybrid language which developed from French from the Norman invasion and the more uncouth Anglo-Saxon.

BTW, is anyone aware of why the French have "Counts" in their nobility but in English, they are called "Earls"? It turns out that following the Norman Invasion, when the English first heard the term, they deliberately mispronounced the word with a using a similar sounding Anglo-Saxon word, and this annoyed the French.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-the-British-use-the-odd-noble-title-earl-in-contrast-with-the-rest-of-Europe-being-forced-to-borrow-words-such-as-countess-and-county

6 hours ago, nobusinessofurs said:

Had a Brit boast to me a few years back that they invented the English language, my reply being American is we refined it.

I believe you did the same trick with the Powered spinning Loom back in 1812, The electric light bulb from Humphrey Davy in 1809 and Jump Jet in 1960. Not to mention a whole load of other stuff you stole from other countries. Seems the Chinese are now doing similar things. It’s called intellectual Property theft 😉

• Cool 1

5 hours ago, LoongFred said:

Oh cheer up mate. I’m sure you will crack the language in the end. Stop being hard on yourself. You will always be an outsider anyway, but buying the village kids an ice cream will endear you to a few of the locals

• Like 1

Just to stay on topic. I speak Thai, read and write the language and have no formal linguistic training.

I traveled  around by motorbike and would learn 10 words at a time until I had these words down to memory. While I did it I practiced writing the Thai alphabet. Being  off the beaten track very few around me spoke English. After 4 months I could converse and was reading after 5 weeks (although rarely knew what I was reading about at that stage).

I have done this with Portugese as I was one of only 2 gringos working remote in rural Brazil. Same with Bahasa. Currently rotating in/out of Japan and can speak enough of the language to travel on my own and work in remote areas where nobody speaks English.

Most people  that cannot communicate in  language not their own usually have a common factor. They didn't try.

• Like 2