The "Ashes" 2021/22

Smithydog

Now the T20 World Cup has finished, and the champions Australia have been crowned (yes gloating rights for little a while), attention in cricket now turns to the oldest rivalry!

The Ashes is a Test cricket series played between England and Australia. The term originated in a satirical obituary published in a British newspaper, The Sporting Times, immediately after Australia's 1882 victory at The Oval, its first Test win on English soil.

220px-DeathofEnglishCricket.jpg

The mythical ashes immediately became associated with the 1882–83 series played in Australia, before which the English captain Ivo Bligh had vowed to "regain those ashes". The English media therefore dubbed the tour the quest to regain the Ashes.

Australia are the current holders of the trophy having won the series in Australia in 2017 and then securing a series 2-2 draw in England. Shown below are the overall results dating back to the first test match in 1877.

Overall Test Results

Tests played

Australia wins

England wins

Draws

Overall Series Results

Series played

Australia wins

England wins

Draws

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes

The first test starts in just over 2 weeks. Who will have the “Ashes” at the end? Can England stage another famous series victory in Australia, or will the Aussies prevail again?

It will be great to watch the fierce rivalry once again. Bring it on!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Australia off to a bad start.....or could it turn out to be a good start?

Tim Paine resigning as Australian Captain over a texting scandal. It is now time to bite the bullet and blood someone new as Test Wicketkeeper/Batsman like Alex Carey or perhaps even Josh Inglis (who may be short of a run though). 

To me, both look better keepers and are more aggressive batsman.

Who will be the new Australian Captain? Quite a few commentators saying Pat Cummins.

• Like 1

2 questions to ponder for the aficionados out there:

1. Will Paine keep his place in the side or is he gone?

2. When was the last time a fast bowler captained the Aussie test side for two or more tests in a row? (make a guess before you look it up) 🧐😁

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

2. When was the last time a fast bowler captained the Aussie test side for two or more tests in a row? (make a guess before you look it up) 🧐😁

Two excellent questions to your usual high standard BH.

I see that Painey has made himself available and although Alex Carey gives my home state a big boost in the Sheffield Shield I would love to see him get an Ashes birth. I think he's a good chance.

Ray Lindwall was the last fast bowler captain of an Australian XI back in 1956. But as much as Patty Cummins is respected my boy Travis Head and Mitch Marsh have far more experience as captains. Pat only has 4 interstate matches as captain for New South Wales.

I'm following the latest and we should know most likely just after the warm ups.

Looking forward to another great series but can't see any whitewashes. Good chance it'll be close.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Two excellent questions to your usual high standard BH.

I see that Painey has made himself available and although Alex Carey gives my home state a big boost in the Sheffield Shield I would love to see him get an Ashes birth. I think he's a good chance.

Ray Lindwall was the last fast bowler captain of an Australian XI back in 1956. But as much as Patty Cummins is respected my boy Travis Head and Mitch Marsh have far more experience as captains. Pat only has 4 interstate matches as captain for New South Wales.

I'm following the latest and we should know most likely just after the warm ups.

Looking forward to another great series but can't see any whitewashes. Good chance it'll be close.

Well being English I want England to win. However for the last 14 months+ the England selectors have played around not always fielding their strongest team to save them for the Ashes. Well their results have not been very good and to field weakened teams in anticipation of one major tournament is bollocks in my eyes. and I doubt it will change anything. I anticipate 4:1 to Australia but hope to be wrong of course.

55 minutes ago, BigHewer said:

1. Probably, but personally would like to see them blood Josh Inglis.

2. Typical trivia answer is none. Steve Waugh was medium pace. Shane Watson was faster and Lindwall was faster still. But from trivia memory both only captained one test each so don't qualify. I have heard in trivia contests claim the first captain, Gregory, was the only one. But depends what you class as bowling as some of those earlier fast bowlers bowled "roundarm".

So my answer would be none.

For other countries, West Indian Courtney Walsh and Pakistani players Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis are probably amongst the best known fast bowlers who have captained their countries for lengthy periods.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, gummy said:

Well being English I want England to win. However for the last 14 months+ the England selectors have played around not always fielding their strongest team to save them for the Ashes. Well their results have not been very good and to field weakened teams in anticipation of one major tournament is bollocks in my eyes. and I doubt it will change anything. I anticipate 4:1 to Australia but hope to be wrong of course.

I think they are fielding the best squad they can. The loss of Archer is a body blow but getting Ben Stokes back is an unexpected bonus. Think it is probably the last Aussie tour for Anderson and Broad, both of whom have been faithful servants to the game. So some added incentive there!

Can Wood last 5 tests is a big question especially on the hard Aussie surfaces. The major other factor is inexperience in Australian conditions, but there is only one way to get that now! 

So a lot of questions and we will see in a few weeks. But I would never write off any English side unlike the Pommy media has done to their failing when rating Australian sides. A big sadness for me is the likely absence of the Barmy Army and the colour they add!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, gummy said:

Good news for not only England but all concerned is Ben Stokes availability. I rate him along side Virat Kohli and Kane Williamson as the best batsman in the world. Our own Steve Smith comes in fourth (in my opinion anyway). Huge boost for you fellas.

Watching Stokes play you see the bat already elevated and he seems to have all the time in the world to play his shots. Some of my fellow Aussies aren't too wrapped about him coming but if he and Joe Root among others handle the hard pacy wickets well. Then fireworks will follow.  

Think it could be close.

4 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

I think they are fielding the best squad they can. The loss of Archer is a body blow but getting Ben Stokes back is an unexpected bonus. Think it is probably the last Aussie tour for Anderson and Broad, both of whom have been faithful servants to the game. So some added incentive there!

Can Wood last 5 tests is a big question especially on the hard Aussie surfaces. The major other factor is inexperience in Australian conditions, but there is only one way to get that now! 

So a lot of questions and we will see in a few weeks. But I would never write off any English side unlike the Pommy media has done to their failing when rating Australian sides. A big sadness for me is the likely absence of the Barmy Army and the colour they add!

Bad news for the Poms about Archer. That's a big blow.

Anderson and Broad in their twilights. Definitely some incentive to go out shining.

5 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Ah the good old Barmy Army, an institution no more unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Smithydog said:

So my answer would be none.

For other countries, West Indian Courtney Walsh and Pakistani players Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis are probably amongst the best known fast bowlers who have captained their countries for lengthy periods.

None is the answer. Gregory technically captained in three tests, but only bowled 20 deliveries in total. Exactly right, Lindwall and Watson only captained for a test each. 

Time to break the mould perhaps?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigHewer said:

None is the answer. Gregory technically captained in three tests, but only bowled 20 deliveries in total. Exactly right, Lindwall and Watson only captained for a test each. 

Time to break the mould perhaps?

I'd have no issue with a bowler as captain. A good bowler/captain combination often set the field together supposedly to what the bowler's strategy is. 

To me, Lindwall was the only true fast bowler amongst the group. Roundarm, like Gregory used is far easier to generate speed in the arm than an over the top bowler does. 

If Pat Cummins is appointed, I would suggest Marnus Labuschange could be a good vice-captain, giving him good grounding to his own eventual step up into the Captain' role. From reports, he is a great team man and would be excellent support for Cummins. It would also allow him to consolidate his great start in test cricket without the pressure of being "the captain", something which has affected many others trying to do the same.

• Like 1

Australian Squads have been named.

Australia Ashes squad 2021-22

• David Warner
  • Marcus Harris
  • Marnus Labuschagne
  • Steve Smith
  • Travis Head
  • Usman Khawaja
  • Cameron Green
  • Tim Paine
  • Pat Cummins
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Josh Hazlewood
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Jhye Richardson
  • Michael Neser
  • Mitchell Swepson

Australia A squad

• Sean Abbott, Ashton Agar, Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Henry Hunt, Josh Inglis, Nic Maddinson, Mitch Marsh, Matthew Renshaw, Mark Steketee, Bryce Street

Pick your team!

My Team and likely batting order:

• David Warner
  • Marcus Harris
  • Marnus Labuschagne (vc)
  • Steve Smith
  • Usman Khawaja
  • Cameron Green
  • Tim Paine (wk)
  • Pat Cummins (c)
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Josh Hazlewood

I have stuck with Starc even though he a less than impressive performance in the T20 world cup where he was all over the place. It reminds me a bit of the previous example of Mitchell Johnson when people wrote him off and then he came back again in the tests and had a stunning series. Can mitch do it as well?

If Cummins is given the captaincy, then it does allow a luxury in keeping the main 3 fast bowlers together as a group in which they know each other so well.

Usman Khawaja gets his final chance to show he can cut it at test level. In good form this year in Sheffield Shield, more so than Travis Head, which give him the nod. Head could be considered to bring in as vice-captain during the initial games for Cummins if he is appointed as Captain. But in my opinion, players have to win their position first and then be appointed to Leadership roles. Head's form hasn't been as good as Khawaja.

Cameron Green deserves to retain his position to demonstrate what he can do as a bowler on more fast/medium wickets at home. Mitch Marsh wasn't in the test squad, only Australia A, for the first 2 tests, so wasn't considered and likely, despite form in recent shorter forms of the game, as a test all-rounder, his history has been very inconsistent.

As for the rest, they pick themselves from players available. For some, this may be a make or break season for them. For Tim Paine, he has to do well or I think the Selectors with blood either Alex Carey or Josh Inglis (both in the Australia A squad), both of whom in my opinion are better glovesmen and batters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smithydog said:

My Team and likely batting order:

• David Warner
  • Marcus Harris
  • Marnus Labuschagne (vc)
  • Steve Smith
  • Usman Khawaja
  • Cameron Green
  • Tim Paine (wk)
  • Pat Cummins (c)
  • Mitchell Starc
  • Nathan Lyon
  • Josh Hazlewood

Decent looking lineup the Aussies have. Labushagne the pick of the batsmen, Smith can still produce and Warner is bound to have one good test. Khawaja and Harris I don’t rate so much but Green looks set to break out soon. Paine is fairly ordinary in the batting department. I think on balance England has a the edge up top, but it’s the bowling where Australia look dangerous. All four of the main bowlers could be match winners depending on the venue and the state of play. 

How many of the Aussie top seven would make the England side? Maybe two. How many of the Aussie main bowlers? All four of them. 😳

• Like 2

On 11/23/2021 at 5:50 PM, BigHewer said:

Decent looking lineup the Aussies have. Labushagne the pick of the batsmen, Smith can still produce and Warner is bound to have one good test. Khawaja and Harris I don’t rate so much but Green looks set to break out soon. Paine is fairly ordinary in the batting department. I think on balance England has a the edge up top, but it’s the bowling where Australia look dangerous. All four of the main bowlers could be match winners depending on the venue and the state of play. 

How many of the Aussie top seven would make the England side? Maybe two. How many of the Aussie main bowlers? All four of them. 😳

Pat Cummins announced as skipper for the Ashes, Steve Smith Vice Captain and Tim Paine out of the side. I've got my fingers crossed that Alex Carey makes the team as Wickie and Josh Inglis as back up keeper. My boy Travis Head scored another century yesterday (against Queensland) but even as one of top players in the Sheffield Shield I think the selectors may lean towards Khawaja. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Smithydog said:

Timely knock by Head for sure to highlight himself. Not sure it is enough though to claim the spot.

Agreed. Cam Green and Uzzie Khawaja have also been in good form. Absolutely wrapped about Henry Hunt. Best opener in the Shield competition and although Warner and Harris should open its great to see a new prospect for the opening slot.

Very happy today as my fellow South Aussie is taking the gloves for the Ashes. Alex Carey appointed wicket keeper and good timing as his last knock was a well played century.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mickkotlarski said:

Very happy today as my fellow South Aussie is taking the gloves for the Ashes. Alex Carey appointed wicket keeper and good timing as his last knock was a well played century.

Sensible move. He knows most of the players and has kept to them. Played under the coach's strategies etc. Great to see him get a chance and hope he goes well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ashes start tomorrow with the first test at the Gabba. Aussie side is apparently this (in likely batting order):

Australian XI:  David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins (capt), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.

Travis Head won the nod from the selectors as did Starc who has been swinging the ball a lot in practice. Can he find form?

Good potential on paper.

For England, Anderson and Bairstow have been left out and 12 man squad named. Final 11 will be known at the toss.

Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler, Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.

Will Joe Root stay at number 4 or go up a spot to number 3? To me it is likely he will stay at 4 with Dawid Malan at 3. Root has had a good season at 4 during the tests played. I must admit, there are a few players in the side I know little about. It will be interesting to see if Mark Wood can adapt to the Australian conditions that should be to his liking.

I see the suspicions about Anderson being injured seem to be false. Seems like England are trying to manage him through the series. Pity, like how he bowls. Reckon it is between Woakes and Broad as to who will carry the drinks.

Bring it On......Ready and TV is primed. Hope the weather is ok!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithydog said:

Australian XI:  David Warner, Marcus Harris, Marnus Labuschagne, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Cameron Green, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins (capt), Mitchell Starc, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood.

A couple of walking wickets in that Aussie batting lineup. Fancy a flutter @mickkotlarski?

8 hours ago, BigHewer said:

A couple of walking wickets in that Aussie batting lineup. Fancy a flutter @mickkotlarski?

Sorry about the late reply. Having a great time at Koh Mak. Now back to the Ashes...your on. Have a feeling fortress Gabba will be good for the locals but a narrow Aussie victory is on the cards. Interesting to  see who bats first. Be a good game.

• Like 1