News Forum - Thai PM denies he’s trying to remain in power for up to 20 years

Thaiger

The Thai PM, Prayut Chan-o-cha, says it’s not true he’s using the 20-year national strategy as an excuse to cling on to power for up to 20 years. According to a Bangkok Post report, the PM rejected the allegation during a speech at a Thai Chamber of Commerce event yesterday. “Efforts have been made to distort the intention (of the strategy). I insist that I do not want to cling on to power over the next 20 years.” The PM insists the intention of the 20-year strategy is to safeguard Thailand’s future by strengthening national security, improving the country’s competitiveness, […]

The story Thai PM denies he’s trying to remain in power for up to 20 years as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Many people on this Forum seem to think that Prayut is going to be PM for a very long time, but I disagree; I think he'll be out next year. That said, it is extremely possible that someone similar to him will get into power rather than the Thai people's choice getting elected.

Why do I think Prayut will be gone?

Prayut for 8 years has been truly wonderful if you are part of the Bangkok Elite; the country has been smothered of too much organized dissent, Bangkok priorities have become Thailand's priorities (As I often say, it is no longer "Thailand", but rather "The Country of Bangkok and Surroundings"), and economic opportunities have been granted to Bangkok to the detriment of other places (yes, I mean you, Patts).

However, Prayut for 12 years is a different matter; that is too much time to consolidate personal power, to appoint people to key positions whose loyalty is to Prayut personally, and too much of an opportunity for Prayut and his clique to amass wealth and thus power. Simply put, Prayut is the 'Help', and it wouldn't do for the 'Help' to get ideas above their station.

There is also the matter of Thais rotating Leadership positions; there are many out there who have been waiting patiently for 8 years who would not be happy being told to wait longer. Remember the turnover as Head of the Army; every 1-2 years. Remember the Head of Police; every 1-2 years, etc. etc. etc. If people aren't given opportunities for power, they'll be pissed and might try to do something about it.

Next, no one can plausibly argue that he has done a good job in dealing with Covid, and while I know the dissent has been 'behind closed doors', it is not realistic to think that the dissent hasn't been there. Thais like to cast blame, and it is easier to assign blame to Prayut than appoint some other 'patsy' to take a fall later.

Finally, while some might think it is wonderful to be PM and/or a Cabinet Minister, the truth is that it is damn hard work with long hours; the Leadership triumvirate has been in office for almost 8 years and are old, arguing internally and tired. No, they won't say it, but it's got to be a concern. It is time for new blood and those that choose leaders know this.

There are (many) other reasons, but the case for Prayut being removed (with full honours) is, I think, stronger than the value of having him remain, so he'll be retired and appointed to some other position. And, there will be an attempt to install a successor who will follow similar policies (I'll refrain from too much more speculation).

In a perfect world, next year Thailand will have a clean, free and fair election so that the Thai people will select their next PM. I'll try to remain optimistic that that will occur.

• Like 7

@Shade_Wilder   Finally, while some might think it is wonderful to be PM and/or a Cabinet Minister, the truth is that it is damn hard work with long hours; the Leadership triumvirate has been in office for almost 8 years and are old, arguing internally and tired.

You make it sound so horrible for Prayuth ... how much money has he made?
How little has he done for Thailand as a whole, not just the Bangkok elite ...
All while overthrowing an elected gov.

• Like 3

Doesn’t matter. Even if Prayut’s gone in a few years, there will just be another clown to take over the position: same same but different. Get real, who is naive enough to think any real change will ever happen in the land of corruption and deception? 555

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Many people on this Forum seem to think that Prayut is going to be PM for a very long time, but I disagree; I think he'll be out next year. That said, it is extremely possible that someone similar to him will get into power rather than the Thai people's choice getting elected.

Prayut for 8 years has been truly wonderful if you are part of the Bangkok Elite; the country has been smothered of too much organized dissent, Bangkok priorities have become Thailand's priorities (As I often say, it is no longer "Thailand", but rather "The Country of Bangkok and Surroundings"), and economic opportunities have been granted to Bangkok to the detriment of other places (yes, I mean you, Patts).

However, Prayut for 12 years is a different matter; that is too much time to consolidate personal power, to appoint people to key positions whose loyalty is to Prayut personally, and too much of an opportunity for Prayut and his clique to amass wealth and thus power. Simply put, Prayut is the 'Help', and it wouldn't do for the 'Help' to get ideas above their station.

There is also the matter of Thais rotating Leadership positions; there are many out there who have been waiting patiently for 8 years who would not be happy being told to wait longer. Remember the turnover as Head of the Army; every 1-2 years. Remember the Head of Police; every 1-2 years, etc. etc. etc. If people aren't given opportunities for power, they'll be pissed and might try to do something about it.

Next, no one can plausibly argue that he has done a good job in dealing with Covid, and while I know the dissent has been 'behind closed doors', it is not realistic to think that the dissent hasn't been there. Thais like to cast blame, and it is easier to assign blame to Prayut than appoint some other 'patsy' to take a fall later.

Finally, while some might think it is wonderful to be PM and/or a Cabinet Minister, the truth is that it is damn hard work with long hours; the Leadership triumvirate has been in office for almost 8 years and are old, arguing internally and tired. No, they won't say it, but it's got to be a concern. It is time for new blood and those that choose leaders know this.

There are (many) other reasons, but the case for Prayut being removed (with full honours) is, I think, stronger than the value of having him remain, so he'll be retired and appointed to some other position. And, there will be an attempt to install a successor who will follow similar policies (I'll refrain from too much more speculation).

In a perfect world, next year Thailand will have a clean, free and fair election so that the Thai people will select their next PM. I'll try to remain optimistic that that will occur.

And government busses won't be spewing black smoke and there won't be any pm2.5 wishful thinking 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Very well put.

He'll be gone, probably to a lifetime position as a Privy Councillor like others before him, but his legacy will continue as others pull the strings - and the competition for who'll be pulling the strings is wide open but clear for all to see.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

an excuse to cling on to power for up to 20 years.

Prayut walks into Doc Yong's office wearing nothing but cling film and Doc Yong says " I can clearly see your nuts " ..

• Haha 4

Could be there will be a swing for like XI is now doing, Putin already did, and everyone's favorite Cambodia's Hun Sen for how long now? all in the sense of N a tional sec urity...

In the end, he and toad boy will be uplifted to just sitting on a certain council from where the real shots are called, so it goes deeper then just this.

• Like 2

“Frankly Scarlett,  who gives a damn”.   The WEALTHY will always retain power because of the endemic corruption strangling this country, and an army in the pocket of “him” to rectify any democratic process. 

3 hours ago, BJoe said:

“Frankly Scarlett,  who gives a damn”.   The WEALTHY will always retain power because of the endemic corruption strangling this country, and an army in the pocket of “him” to rectify any democratic process. 

Too true unless someone cuts the head off the snake nothing will change.

On 11/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, Thaiger said:

Thai PM denies he’s trying to remain in power for up to 20 years

It's been nearly a week since our illustrious leader denied it.

Going on previous issues when he's denied things then they've become government policy, isn't it about time he announced he is planning to remain in power?

Mind you, four years ago he said the Bangkok - Korat section of the high speed railway would be 'up and running' by 2021'.
Only a month to go folks.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Bluesofa said:

Are we allowed to mention who?

Evidently not a good idea, well Not unless you want an altercation with a baseball bat wielding eastern European hitman in a dark alley

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, poohy said:

Evidently not a good idea, well Not unless you want an altercation with a baseball bat wielding eastern European hitman in a dark alley

I hadn't realised the Albanians were involved in this?  😄 😄

• Haha 3

On 11/21/2021 at 7:05 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

Aside from all this pertinent commentary, many require a decent brushing up on real contemporary Thai history.....as such tends to repeat itself in the most dubious manner.