News Forum - Chamber of Commerce proposes familiar plans for the economy

Thaiger

Ahead of a meeting with PM Prayut Chan-o-cha tomorrow, the Thai Chamber of Commerce has compiled a list of measures to boost Thailand’s struggling economy. The proposal was sourced from 5 regional chambers of commerce and will be submitted to the prime minister tomorrow as part of his meetings with private sector representatives. The proposed measures aren’t particularly groundbreaking, mostly suggesting extending current stimulus projects and encouraging the same suggestions as made in the past. They call for an extension on the popular 50:50 program that co-pays for food and groceries, as well as the “shop dee mee kuen” program […]

The story Chamber of Commerce proposes familiar plans for the economy as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Interesting to see that part about the new drug treatments for Covid are high on the list of priorities. Not sure exactly what they do. Are they alternatives to vaxxing, or treatments for the infected?

Either way, thinking of that cohort of anti-vaxxers that I consider have the most  rational reason for refusing a vax, those who want to wait several years to see more evidence of it's safety, I wonder if they will have the same attitude towards taking these new drugs? Will they want to wait several years to see what harm these drugs may do? The reason I ask, is that some drugs that have been available for the past 40 or 50 years are only in recent years, being linked to multiple adverse effects.

That is not to criticise those who are prepared to change their minds once the evidence is in, but it occurs to me that unless there is evidence that a needle in the arm presents any greater risk than a pill, it seems to me that it is inconsistent to say they want more evidence about new vaxxes, but make no such demands of a new pills. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

The proposed measures aren’t particularly groundbreaking, mostly suggesting extending current stimulus projects and encouraging the same suggestions as made in the past.

Bit like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic then .. 

• Like 1

This report had me sucked in, until the last sentence.

They are also once again attempting to stimulate the economy by luring in one million foreigners bringing their expertise and investment money.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

The anti vaxxers will have the same attitude to the new meds as they have to the new vaccines. Doubt it until they need it then they’ll demand it. imo, my brother summed it up nicely when he said he’s never seen such a bloody fuss about a flu shot. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, palooka said:

This report had me sucked in, until the last sentence.

They are also once again attempting to stimulate the economy by luring in one million foreigners bringing their expertise and investment money.

The bit about "luring" reminded me of a very old (and corny) joke about trapping Polar Bears. You cut a hole in the ice and spread peas around the hole. Then when the bear tries to take a pea, you kick him in the icehole. 

The plan to "lure" in 1 mill foreigners is currently at the same stage of development.

• Like 4