News Forum - Thai Foreign Minister reportedly admits to meeting with Myanmar’s military junta

Thaiger

Following reports in Burmese media that Thailand’s Foreign Affairs Minister visited Myanmar’s capital Naypyidaw last weekend to meet with the military junta and coup leader, the minister has reportedly revealed details about his trip, saying he discussed humanitarian aid for the country’s citizens. Foreign Affairs Minister, Don Pramudwinai, who also serves as Deputy PM, reportedly admitted to meeting with coup leader Min Aung Hlaing, but did not say what the two discussed, just that the talks were “constructive.” Both the Bangkok Post and Nation Thailand report that Don told the press that 17 tonnes of relief items are being delivered […]

The story Thai Foreign Minister reportedly admits to meeting with Myanmar’s military junta as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

“The Thai private sector is concerned about the situation in the neighbouring country and has collected essential items and sent them to Myanmar.”

Which part of the Thai private sector? 

Define 17 tonnes of essential relief items?

Who really benefited from this largesse?

• Like 5

Here's Monday's report on FAM Don's Sunday meeting with the Myanmar Junta top brass . . .

I'm looking hard for any significant updates in today's report. Good to know about the 17 tonnes of 'relief items' though.

I do not believe one minute that the bulk of the donated essential whatever it is will go to the ordinary people. Maybe a PR photo of a few getting it, and then the rest of the military dressed in civilian clothes queuing up. The junta's should not think the world and people are gullible. Down with Juntas.

• Like 2

There is a great deal of evidence for the notion that Thai Generals kept the Khmer Rouge viable and out of jail for a very long time after they should have vanished as they were benefitting financially; the research is there if you want to find it.

When I read stories like this deceitful visit by numerous high-ranking Thai officials, I can't help but think we will see history repeating itself. Contacts with China for some goods, utilization of Thai Officials as an illegal conduit to Western markets for the rest, and endless suffering for people who simply want to have a decent life for themselves and their families.

It is evil.

I have spent virtually all of my adult life either living in or learning about SE Asia, yet I have never come to terms with the dichotomy of the place. In this region, I have met and become friends with some of the most decent people to ever walk the planet, and yet at the same time witnessed creatures (I won't call them people or humans) capable of cruelty beyond comprehension in return for nothing but material goods.

I don't think I'll ever understand how these two opposites can co-exist in a small place.

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thailand’s Foreign Affairs Minister visited Myanmar’s capital Naypyidaw last weekend to meet with the military junta and coup leader

exchanging notes on what chemical irritants to use in a water canon? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

exchanging notes on what chemical irritants to use in a water canon? 

Well at least it is not human feces laste with a dye. At least I hope not.