News Forum - Phuket to emphasise safety over Loy Krathong

Thaiger

As Phuket prepares for its Loy Krathong festivities tonight, the governor is imploring citizens to be safe and to respect the Covid-19 protocols in place. Celebrations on the island are scheduled to go forward, despite the lingering concerns over Covid. Governor Narong Woonciew expanded upon the many requirements that are in place this evening to mitigate the chances of the disease spreading. He described how the festival would operate very differently this year in order to comply with safety regulations. “According to Article 3 of Order No. 7188/2564, the organisation of group activities of a large number of people is […]

The story Phuket to emphasise safety over Loy Krathong as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These measures are part of the “new normal” that Phuket will have to get used to in this post-Covid world, the Governor says. He went on to encourage mask-wearing, social distancing and the use of hand sanitiser. Phuket News reports that towns across the island will be holding local Loy Krathong events. The Patong mayor has issued a reminder that there is a mask mandate still in effect, and a fine of up to 20,000 baht for those caught without one.

Well when I was in Patong for my 7 days Sandbox in October, it was pretty much a taste of the "old normal". Beers served everywhere (restaurants, hotels and...bars), I went to see it with my own eyes as a friend told me about it in... September. And indeed Halloween night on Walking street was party as usual, bars full, live music,etc... Apparently, these should be the kind of places with "clusters" but as far as I know, I have not heard of a new cluster from Walking street in Patong...??

I would be very happy to see Phuket return to something like normal. Large public gatherings in some kind of free for all...not smart. If there is a big surge in cases, the government will clamp down. So if everyone acts with intelligence.... things can keep on keeping on. I just don't want to see all the effort to this point by people to be ruined.