News Forum - Today’s Loy Krathong breaks traditions, Thais encouraged to celebrate “virtually”

Thaiger

Every year, on the 12th full moon on the lunar calendar, Thais celebrate Loy Krathong, giving thanks to the water goddess by releasing lotus-shaped floating offerings onto the water. Rivers, canals, and other bodies of water are filled with the beautiful offerings, known as krathongs, which usually made from banana tree trunks and decorated with flowers, leaves, candles, and incense sticks. But today’s festivities will be a little different as the Thai government is advising the public to practice Covid-19 prevention measures, like wearing masks and social distancing. In Bangkok, proof of vaccination or a negative result from an ATK […]

The story Today’s Loy Krathong breaks traditions, Thais encouraged to celebrate “virtually” as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yes, all the correct advice is given.

And they send dozens of officials and police (yes, they apparently still exist) to the festivity locations.

And there they say absolutely nothing to the non-mask wearers and people queueing like sardines, whilst not distancing. 

But how would they even know, being glued to their phone screens!

• Like 1

So the virtual government is promoting virtual kratongs! Just like the virtual tourist, the virtual high speed trains, the Chinese virtual vaccine, the virtual democracy and the virtual *******. How about they they do something for the 15 million poor Thais who are very real, not virtual.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

And there they say absolutely nothing to the non-mask wearers

In the past 2 years, I haven't seen anyone without a mask outside nor inside. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pompies said:

So the virtual government is promoting virtual kratongs! Just like the virtual tourist, the virtual high speed trains, the Chinese virtual vaccine, the virtual democracy and the virtual *******. How about they they do something for the 15 million poor Thais who are very real, not virtual.

I think they are trying their best to kick-start being a virtual hub or something. 

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

In public areas, neither have I ... but maybe we don't go to the 'right' areas ...

... an alternate solution to the "virtual" one would just be for people to avoid mass, large scale events and to put their kratongs in the water locally without the concerts  ... much as they've done for decades.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DiJoDavO said:

Then you need to come to CM as you can see them everyday outside. For the inside like malls it is usually privileged idiot foreigners.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Then you need to come to CM as you can see them everyday outside. For the inside like malls it is usually privileged idiot foreigners.

Add me to the list tomorrow..Im chilling in BKK waiting on my PCR...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Well, what goes around comes around ..... maybe that explains a great deal 😂.

2 hours ago, PapayaBokBok said:

Add me to the list tomorrow..Im chilling in BKK waiting on my PCR...

Well if you have made it this far, have fun. Get a can of beer and walk around. FYI. OK, you can probably walk down the bar street and get a beer with a fair maiden wanting a coffee cup to drink with you too. Good to have you back. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stonker said:

Well, what goes around comes around ..... maybe that explains a great deal 😂.

Cannot change stupid until you beat them up silly. Or have then arrested. 

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Cannot change stupid until you beat them up silly. Or have then arrested. 

Well, you know those in Chiang Mai better than me 😂 !

7 hours ago, DiJoDavO said:

We just put ours in the local lake in town.

No concert, very few food sellers, some selling kratongs (20 baht), no crowds, no-one there for more than a few minutes - and everyone masked.

Nothing virtual about Loy Kratong in CM. Thousands and thousands out and about. Large numbers without masks (even some police!) and zero distancing anywhere. Lots of cool folk on the streets with big bottles of Chang. No enforcement of any regulations whatsoever. Good thing we don't have a pandemic going on 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've just celebrated it virtually. I thought I could drive to Asiatique, got stuck on the bridge with a beautiful view over Asiatique, almost ran out of gas, so got out of line, on the way back home😂😂😂

39 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Don't trust your luck Stonker. 

Be nice. 

I was.

If that's what those in Chiang Mai are doing they've no one to blame but themselves if things go / are going pear shaped.

Not the PM, not the health minister, not the government, not the police and not the governor - just themselves.

4 hours ago, Stonker said:

We just put ours in the local lake in town.

No concert, very few food sellers, some selling kratongs (20 baht), no crowds, no-one there for more than a few minutes - and everyone masked.

... and just to add, we did as many others did locally afterwards - went home, then had a few drinks with friends we knew who came round.

There's a big difference between taking a minimal risk while both enjoying yourself but behaving reasonably while minimising the risk for and to others, and just not giving a damn.

10 hours ago, Stonker said:

I was.

If that's what those in Chiang Mai are doing they've no one to blame but themselves if things go / are going pear shaped.

Not the PM, not the health minister, not the government, not the police and not the governor - just themselves.

Actually I would think that those most are visitors as seen the influx coming in over the last week from seems all over, but it does look like too many are letting their guard down and that is more than likely locals as well trying to act and have fun with some old time normalcy. It is a recipe for disaster though. My daughter was out last night with friends and she reports all she saw were wearing masks. she went around to 3 kings set up, Tapae gate, and the steel bridge on the river. But she said it was not that fun, or maybe we have been here too long, or maybe? Loy Krathong here has actually in normal time in CM gotten way out of whack from way too many people. For me we will do a Krathong tonight as did not want to be in the mess last night, and the kid idiots around my house blowing off too many fireworks made my dogs crazy so stayed home. Whether it is the water festival or Loy Krathong, CM always takes too much opportunity extending things way too long.

Actually I would think that those most are visitors as seen the influx coming in over the last week from seems all over, but it does look like too many are letting their guard down and that is more than likely locals as well trying to act and have fun with some old time normalcy. It is a recipe for disaster though. My daughter was out last night with friends and she reports all she saw were wearing masks. she went around to 3 kings set up, Tapae gate, and the steel bridge on the river. But she said it was not that fun, or maybe we have been here too long, or maybe? Loy Krathong here has actually in normal time in CM gotten way out of whack from way too many people. For me we will do a Krathong tonight as did not want to be in the mess last night, and the kid idiots around my house blowing off too many fireworks made my dogs crazy so stayed home. Whether it is the water festival or Loy Krathong, CM always takes too much opportunity extending things way too long.

Until you mentioned it, @HolyCowCm, I hadn't even noticed the lack of fireworks here last night - none at all. 

The only fire-crackers here recently have been because an elephant was seen in some sugar cane fields, so I've changed my cycle route for a few days!

Funny, though, how different people can give a totally (and I mean totally 😂) different take on the exact same thing, same place, same time:

16 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Large numbers without masks (even some police!) and zero distancing anywhere ...

vs

My daughter was out last night with friends and she reports all she saw were wearing masks.

Opening the country, removing interprovincial travel restrictions, calling CM a blue zone until 2 weeks ago when infections were way up in the hundreds a day already, and allowing 60k pre-booked people (plus whomever besides that) to travel to CM is hardly the local population's fault.e

Yes, we know there is a group that can't wait to make money at any (health) cost. But that's why you need control in a worrying situation. Or is that only when BKK is involved? CM is not a village where you decide with a few neighbours that you float your Kratong in the local lake when there's already 60k+ travelers embarking upon the city.

I was at the locations that you describe. Not in the crowds and not in the packed queues, but perhaps your daughter is being nice to not want to worry you. As I wrote many without masks, even police. They just sit together under their canopees on their phone or take photos of each other. You can walk by without mask with a bottle of beer or drive the wrong way with your bike without helmet, none of them even look and you wonder why they are even there!

I'll see if I can edit some video small enough to post here.

I think she was saying the majority of folks out and about that she saw had them on. She may over look the ones with a drink or food or taking pictures or sitting somewhere together without a mask on. I also road past Tapae later day yesterday and it was not looking like something I would have wanted to be in. Too jammed and packed with a Loy Krathong paper mache elephant and everything else making it seriously cramped and not open spaced. And yes I can say I did see a few without their masks on and the normal foreigners who sit and walk around there without them on as well. It is going to wreak havoc on CM no two ways about it.