News Forum - ChulaCOV-19 vaccine enters a promising third phase of trials

Thaiger

ChulaCOV-19, the mRNA Covid-19 vaccine in development by the Centre of Excellence in Vaccine Research at Chulalongkorn University, is expected to be registered by the middle of next year as it enters a promising third phase of clinical trials. The third round of trials on human test subjects is scheduled to see injections at the beginning of 2021, no later than March. The head of the Covid-19 vaccine development project said that if testing kicks off by March at the latest, April and May will be spent analysing the test results in preparation for filing with the Food and Drug […]

The story ChulaCOV-19 vaccine enters a promising third phase of trials as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

👍

Maybe arrives just in time for Covid 22 and makes it as effective as Sinovac 🤣

(why reinvent the wheel when we have perfectly good ones available, that are further developed at larger scale, and fully approved, to start with another local one that will need "emergency approval" to be used at all?  Oh...💰💰💰💰)

7 minutes ago, Bob20 said:

👍

Maybe arrives just in time for Covid 22 and makes it as effective as Sinovac 🤣

(why reinvent the wheel when we have perfectly good ones available, that are further developed at larger scale, and fully approved, to start with another local one that will need "emergency approval" to be used at all?  Oh...💰💰💰💰)

In the long run this will be a huge benefit to Thailand in their ability to be self reliant when it comes to need for vaccines in the future. The MRNA vaccines will be the standard going forward. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

In the long run this will be a huge benefit to Thailand in their ability to be self reliant when it comes to need for vaccines in the future. The MRNA vaccines will be the standard going forward. 

Sure, like AZ, in selling the majority of production to surrounding countries 💰💰💰

And by reinventing the wheel, never competing with the big providers that will always be 10 steps ahead, so settling for local inferior behind the curve products.

That reminds me, where's that Thai machine that was going to be sold worldwide to make billions by extracting an extra dose from vials?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

It was reported before to just produce 30 million a year.. 2.5 million a month! .. beneficial? 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

It was reported before to just produce 30 million a year.. 2.5 million a month! .. beneficial? 

Well, it is beneficial for a handful of friends in Bangkok. The rest may be sold abroad. And with that money they can buy more Sinovac 🤭 

• Haha 2

I think the ability to  develop vaccines in your own country is an important ability, as is being able to produce vaccines in high volume in your own country. In my own country, which has just over a quarter of the population of Thailand, scientists are busily working on a peptide solution which targets any Corona Virus (no matter how it varies...yes even Covid 22). If there is anything this pandemic has taught me, it's that countries have to wrest back their ability to develop and produce not only vaccines but PPE and other medications. 

• Like 2

It make perfect sense (to a thai) to develop a first generation vaccin when everybody else is already working on a 2e generation most of the stuff i know that was made in thailand didnt work or broke easy and this is from experience i love the thai people they cant help the schools not teach them common sense 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

I think the ability to  develop vaccines in your own country is an important ability, as is being able to produce vaccines in high volume in your own country. In my own country, which has just over a quarter of the population of Thailand, scientists are busily working on a peptide solution which targets any Corona Virus (no matter how it varies...yes even Covid 22). If there is anything this pandemic has taught me, it's that countries have to wrest back their ability to develop and produce not only vaccines but PPE and other medications. 

Exactly, @Jason. The negativity of some posters here to anything 'Thai' just defies belief - why remain, if it's only to have a false sense of superiority?

Once the pharmaceutical giants producing Pfizer, Moderna, AZ and the rest decide the pandemic's 'over' then they'll start charging any price they want as they've said very clearly - for some that'll be ten times the current price, for some a lot more.

Those who've been complaining about paying 3,000 baht for their vaccine of choice could be paying 50,000.

Countries that have footed the bill for vaccines will no longer be able to, so unless they can produce themselves individuals will have to pay.

God almighty, it hardly needs a Doctorate in economics!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

It make perfect sense (to a thai) to develop a first generation vaccin when everybody else is already working on a 2e generation  ...

Maybe you missed this part of the article:

"... the development team are already revising second and even third-generation vaccines ...".

2 hours ago, Prosaap said:

... most of the stuff i know that was made in thailand didnt work or broke easy and this is from experience i love the thai people they cant help the schools not teach them common sense 

Evidently they're far from the only schools that fail in that regard.

Maybe you should look up what Thailand's main  exports are, apart from foodstuffs, such as electronic goods and automotive parts and vehicles.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lawyers_Guns_and_Money said:

Exactly - and since they're getting assistance from those responsible for developing those mRNA vaccines there's good reason to hope they'll be comparable, but at a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexPTY said:

Happy I got AZ. Sure they will use farang as Guinea pigs for rollout 

I doubt there are many farangs left unvaccinated to be used as "Guinea pigs", although there are still plenty of Thais waiting.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob20 said:

Sure, like AZ, in selling the majority of production to surrounding countries 💰💰💰

The whole point of having their own production is so that it won't be "like AZ", where the technology transfer agreement with AZ was conditional on a large part of production being sold wherever AZ dictated abroad.

I'm surprised you're unaware of this as it's been widely reported, even here.

9 hours ago, Bob20 said:

That reminds me, where's that Thai machine that was going to be sold worldwide to make billions by extracting an extra dose from vials?

That I can't even guess (well I can, but it wouldn't be polite) since "extracting an extra dose from vials" has also been very widely reported and all that's needed are low dead space syringes, and Pfizer said themselves back in January that by using low dead space syringes you could get 20% more from each vial - no "machine" required.

9 hours ago, Malc-Thai said:

Do the maths based on production hopefully starting the middle of next year, by which time most of the country should be fully vaccinated, and 30 million per year / 2.5 million a month will be more than sufficient for booster doses given the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines reportedly already on order.

If it works then production could be stepped up using other facilities, which could even export any surplus, but it's pointless considering that until Ph 3 and 4 trials are complete.

2 hours ago, Stonker said:

Do the maths based on production hopefully starting the middle of next year, by which time most of the country should be fully vaccinated, and 30 million per year / 2.5 million a month will be more than sufficient for booster doses given the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines reportedly already on order.

If it works then production could be stepped up using other facilities, which could even export any surplus, but it's pointless considering that until Ph 3 and 4 trials are complete.

Yes 8 months away.. and any vaccines would be welcome! as Tesco would say 'every little helps'.. my thoughts are on the next level vaccines coming out maybe before this and why just basically copy a vaccine that's readily available now..

yes 2.5 million a month would be good and no doubt they will be used as a booster so probably 50% dose..

looking at the speed of the vaccine rollout here 5 million boosters a month should just work for them.. but I'm sceptical about stepping up the supply/production though and even achieving the amounts. Especially looking at how long it took AZ to ramp up!. Albeit a different company .. fingers crossed on it

29 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

... why just basically copy a vaccine that's readily available now.

I'm far from sure that's what they're doing, as I imagine that if that's all they're doing then whoever they're copying may have something to say about it 😡!

If, for the sake of argument though, they were, then I imagine the "why" would be because it would be cheaper.

29 minutes ago, Malc-Thai said:

.. but I'm sceptical about stepping up the supply/production though and even achieving the amounts. Especially looking at how long it took AZ to ramp up!. Albeit a different company .. fingers crossed on it

Do a search for "are mrna vaccines easier to produce" and you'll get a lot of experts explaining why mRNA vaccines are far easier and quicker to produce than traditional vaccines  - and they all do it far better than I could 😢!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Prosaap said:

It make perfect sense (to a thai) to develop a first generation vaccin when everybody else is already working on a 2e generation most of the stuff i know that was made in thailand didnt work or broke easy and this is from experience i love the thai people they cant help the schools not teach them common sense 

Many said negative things (some justified) about Japanese cars when they started making them and they now make some of the best cars in the world. You have to start somewhere.

• Like 1