News Forum - Mass lay-offs at Thai AirAsia as aviation sector continues to struggle

Thaiger

Thailand may have re-opened to international travellers, but the aviation sector continues to struggle as a result of the pandemic. Today, the Bangkok Post reports that Thai AirAsia has announced mass redundancies and extended furlough arrangements for many of its staff. Asia Aviation, the largest shareholder in TAA, says the outlook for the aviation sector remains unstable and the company has had no choice but to reduce both its workforce and its fleet. Executive chairman Tassapon Bijleveld says the fact that re-opening policies differ from country to country means revenue on international routes is limited. “It’s hurtful to take such […]

The story Mass lay-offs at Thai AirAsia as aviation sector continues to struggle as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

7 minutes ago, ThaiEyes said:

I don’t know why Thai AirAsia is doing so poorly. Thai International is supposedly making a couple billion 🤣

Different accountants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“It’s hurtful to take such a decision, but it’s based on reality which we cannot answer as to when the situation will improve."

"based on reality". Some truth. Too bad the Thai government can't be made to see this.

They are starting to force people in Bangkok to show their ID and double vaxed papers to attend events like the Motor Expo. There are other reports as well. 

• Like 1

This weeks seen normalisation of rapid testing to enter events and streets, announcement of entertainment venues closed until mid January earliest, confusing entry and insurance requirements and you get to risk expensive confinement anytime you test positive.

Who could have possibly imagined this would lead to the death of tourism and aviation? 🙄

• Like 1

I wonder how they intent to take advantage of a tourist boom if they have no staff? If this is the story with the budget carrier, Thai Airways is in even bigger trouble.

Try this as a foreigner... this much of a loss on a company.... you'll get inquiries for sure.

Anyways, I guess if one would be government of this country one would start about merging Thai Airways / Bangkok Airways as both of them have a problem it appears. But still the overhead and management styles might not be sufficient to make it through. Merging both these airway companies and putting people to work again might be a interesting way forward.

Air Asia well, depending on how big the ambitions are could've been part of this merger too.

From a structure perspective it might be good to, while dreaming about it split Bangkok Airways/Thai Airways into:
1. Airline
2. Provider of multiple airports (these can be individual companies, actually would be nice to see more competition on airports like USM for example).
3. Extra stuff like the buildings they had in excess and want to get rid of.

Airline appears to be that what Thai Airways also is so merging that shouldn't be super hard if ego's are pushed aside and focus would be on creating one great company, Unluckily I don't hold a PR status yet so no... I cannot apply for a director function of a Thai Public company... too bad.

This would however need strong management. But it could lead into healthy competition on the smaller private airports and more airlines there as it would then be a seperate company trying to make business.

1 minute ago, palooka said:

Someone accidentally added nine zeros to the real figure. 50 baht.

I really don't know which number is truthful however i know a lot of people are even laid of in Thai Airways but they have been trying to sell buildings this would put some money on the balance sheets and also make expenses go less hard, if they really make 50bln profit I want to learn how they did it :-).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Artemis080 said:

This weeks seen normalisation of rapid testing to enter events and streets, announcement of entertainment venues closed until mid January earliest, confusing entry and insurance requirements and you get to risk expensive confinement anytime you test positive.

Who could have possibly imagined this would lead to the death of tourism and aviation? 🙄

You forgot to mention the last PCR test before flying, if positive your holiday is over before you could even reach the airport.

• Like 1

It's almost like eliminating all of the market competition and then all of a sudden Thai airways and Thai smile have 80% of the slots awarded them.

3 minutes ago, Shark said:

I really don't know which number is truthful however i know a lot of people are even laid of in Thai Airways but they have been trying to sell buildings this would put some money on the balance sheets and also make expenses go less hard, if they really make 50bln profit I want to learn how they did it :-).

If you sell assets over and well above what you paid for them then yes you make a profit, but selling a building in a depressed market and at a 'fire sale' of assets would be hard to make a big profit unless they wrote off the book value of those assets over previous years to a low figure then maybe profit.  

Not a good decision though - you pay tax on profit.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

“It’s hurtful to take such a decision, but it’s based on reality which we cannot answer as to when the situation will improve."

"based on reality". Some truth. Too bad the Thai government can't be made to see this.

They are starting to force people in Bangkok to show their ID and double vaxed papers to attend events like the Motor Expo. There are other reports as well. 

Similar things are happening all around the world. Even in liberal democracies people are having to show “Covid vaccination passports” for large events such as football games and attending music concerts. There’s a worrying sense that this pandemic is over in some countries and people are dropping their guard. It’s far from over and has another year to run. 

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

And it’s all made in in the name of… [insert BS here]. No clear policy, just day-to-day emotional reactions.

• Like 1