News Forum - Doctors successfully perform Thailand’s first “acardiac twin” surgery

Thaiger

Surgeons reportedly performed Thailand’s first surgery involving twin reversed arterial perfusion sequence, or TRAP, where the cardiac system of one normally developed foetus is supplying blood for another, known as the “acardiac twin,” which is poorly developed, often missing a heart, head, and limbs. On Wednesday, surgeons at Srinagarind Hospital of Khon Kaen University successfully performed the surgery, stopping the blood flow to the acardiac twin to prevent heart damage and failure in the normal twin. The procedure called radiofrequency ablation involves inserting a needle to into the mother’s belly and using radiofrequency waves to stop the blood flow to […]

The story Doctors successfully perform Thailand’s first “acardiac twin” surgery as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yuk.. necessary procedure and well done and all but yuk….  

5 hours ago, kmc said:

so what happens when the other fetus stops receiving blood?

I guess the other fetus is absorbed into the mothers body, the other twin or surgically removed when the other baby is born. It’s got no head so no brain. I refuse to make a joke about it running for political office because this is all a bit too much of a “ewww.. that’s good I guess. I wish I didn’t learn this today”

Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.