What is the situation like for tourists in Jomtien

Bankerman

Hi, my wife and I are retired and have visited Thailand for the past five years (not this year), each visit being for circa 3 months taking advantage of the superb medical and dental facilities, we also have taken side trips to Vietnam, Cambodia, Japan and Australia to visit my daughter but returning to Thailand before heading back to UK. 

We are booked to come over in mid January 22 as I need a second eye operation that was postponed this year due to Covid restrictions. We like the Jomtien Beach area and would love to know what it is like today regarding shops, restaurants massage parlours etc. an up to date video of a walk down the beach road would be great, also, are the swimming pools at hotels and condo resorts still closed? We really don't want to be stranded with nothing to do.

Thanks Charles

Dear Charles,

Thailand is in a bad shape, I don't know about Jomtien as I'm not based there.
If you want a more vivid life I guess it's found in Bangkok or Phuket... the rest is just all slow and with a lot of shops closed down it might not be the same as you known it. Even Bangkok and Phuket are slower then regular.

Just my two cents. If I would be outside of Thailand and known Thailand in it's glory days I would give it some time to recover minimum of 5 years I would say. Don't want to be pessimistic.

Hi Shark Thanks, gosh that sounds dire but we are heading back in mid Jan for an eye op and if its as dead as it appears to be just now then I guess we will forfeit the apartment rental and checkout nearby countries for a side trip, have also applied for Oz tourist visa, the UK is officially broken so congrats to at least being so ewhere warm 🤣

17 hours ago, Bankerman said:

Hi Shark Thanks, gosh that sounds dire but we are heading back in mid Jan for an eye op and if its as dead as it appears to be just now then I guess we will forfeit the apartment rental and checkout nearby countries for a side trip, have also applied for Oz tourist visa, the UK is officially broken so congrats to at least being so ewhere warm 🤣

Hi Charles,

Thailand has many beauty to offer which can now be better checked then during 'high peak season' which won't be coming anytime soon. I don't know how much countries will be opened in January. I guess it's like Thailand can change on a day-to-day basis.

UK might be broken but they're still fishing in big wales like Shell for example.

Don't see my previous post as a reason not to come but perhaps more to travel around, depending on how confident one is on a motorbike this can be a very cool thing todo in Thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say 5 years until Pattaya is back to "Normal-ish"... unless there are huge restrictions for quite a few more years...

I believe the minute Tourists are allowed in country with nothing but a covid test and vaccine card, they will pour in and the locals will work around the clock to get that Farang money. The problem now is the system is just too much of a pain in the ass. If the Tourists cant come, then the locals also spend a lot less and its a continuing downward spiral that will reverse almost immediately once the first huge wave of tourists come back.

I have a GF I haven't seen for 2 years due to travel restrictions. She checks different websites every day and keeps me updated. As desperate as we are to see each other even she agrees the current system it too complicated and unreliable. They are waiting for our money and our patronage, and will not fail in providing those services as soon as we land. It wont be immediate, but 5 years is a bit of a stretch. Its not like they need to rebuild the buildings... just restock them with beer, food and pretty girls.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 2:04 PM, Shark said:

Hi Charles,

Thailand has many beauty to offer which can now be better checked then during 'high peak season' which won't be coming anytime soon. I don't know how much countries will be opened in January. I guess it's like Thailand can change on a day-to-day basis.

UK might be broken but they're still fishing in big wales like Shell for example.

Don't see my previous post as a reason not to come but perhaps more to travel around, depending on how confident one is on a motorbike this can be a very cool thing todo in Thailand.

Hi again well we arrived, not as dead as we expected but quieter then before of course. Just failed my 2nd PCR test and waiting for the state to haul me off to hospital but trying to follow the rules but I think the Thai health people are a bit stretched. As I have no symptoms or temperature I am hopeful that I can just self isolate on my hotel balcony. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bankerman said:

Hi again well we arrived, not as dead as we expected but quieter then before of course. Just failed my 2nd PCR test and waiting for the state to haul me off to hospital but trying to follow the rules but I think the Thai health people are a bit stretched. As I have no symptoms or temperature I am hopeful that I can just self isolate on my hotel balcony. 

Keep us posted from your quarantine facility (I hope it will be your hotel... this would obviously depend on your hotel).

On 1/22/2022 at 4:31 AM, Bankerman said:

And therein lies the problem... no one is going to endure this madness with most showing no symptoms and not even knowing they have it.  Good luck in quarantine jail, Thailand really needs to get a clue.

17 minutes ago, TiT said:

And therein lies the problem... no one is going to endure this madness with most showing no symptoms and not even knowing they have it.  Good luck in quarantine jail, Thailand really needs to get a clue.

In most cases people aren't hauled off to "jail"

Especially recently 

They are quarantined in their hotel

Just as they are in every country you test positive in

So what clue do they need to get? 

28 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

In most cases people aren't hauled off to "jail"

Especially recently 

They are quarantined in their hotel

Just as they are in every country you test positive in

Does make me chuckle does that. Talk about exaggeration. 😀

38 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

If you forecast 8M tourist arrivals in Thailand for 2022, very few are going to want to risk coming with a high chance of testing positive for an Omnicron diagnosis (on Day 1 or 5) and having to undergo quarantine, regardless of the semantics of what you want to call it.

18 minutes ago, TiT said:

If you forecast 8M tourist arrivals in Thailand for 2022, very few are going to want to risk coming with a high chance of testing positive for an Omnicron diagnosis (on Day 1 or 5) and having to undergo quarantine, regardless of the semantics of what you want to call it.

For this older couple they will probably hotel quarantine as Marc26 stated they now don’t normally cart foreigners off. The plus side is no bad symptoms and will be ok. They are staying here for a few months and so a little set back will not be much to endure. After that they are free to go about and do what they plan to do this trip as one of them includes eye surgery. 
I just had friends arrive under the first T&G on the 14th. Luckily all good and having a blast, but then again they were also ready to do what ever came up. They are here for several months as well and if tested positive have the insurance and prepared to pay some if need being. So for many it is still ok and Thailand is still lots of fun. 

3 hours ago, TiT said:

I don't agree with all their decision

The Day 5 test may put me off coming in April/May

But you said they would he hauled off to jail when the majority of cases we have seen , many on this forum, people have been allowed to stay in their hotels

Exactly what pretty much every country has been doing with tourists who test positive 

Hell, I saw in I believe Barbados.

They put ankle monitors on tourists who test positive!